La Boquilla Travel Guide

afternoon beach - la boquilla
  • Favorites

La Boquilla Things to Do

by call_me_rhia Written Aug 5, 2008

La Boquilla is a fishing village about 10 minutes (by car or bus) from Cartagena... it's quiet, it has a long brown beach, a calm sea with clear dark waters, and some simple open-air beach restaurants. There are no pshing sellers like in Cartagena and the sea is, well... just like in Cartagena, which means that it is not spectacular.

if you want a day out relaxing on a beach, then la Boquilla is a good option. People are friendly and go about their daily life while you hang around doing nothing. I think that it's also possible to go on a mangrove tour from there, but I did not try it myself (I went from nearby Manzanillo del Mar).

afternoon beach - la boquilla

La Boquilla Transportation

by call_me_rhia Written Aug 5, 2008

La Boquilla is so close to Cartagena that getting there is very easy. You can take a colourful but uncomfortable local bus from the India Catalina monument on avenida Venezuela in Cartagena or else you can take a more comfortable taxi. Even this way it will not cost you a fortune, possible some 15000-20000 COP. Once you want to leave, from the main road (the cartagena road) it's very easy to find another one to take you back into town.

minibus on the beach... how did it get there?

La Boquilla Favorites

by call_me_rhia Written Aug 5, 2008

Favorite thing: La Boquilla is a fishing village just outside Cartegena, but it seems like a world apart... quiet and relaxed - with simple houses made of concrete or wood, with dirt streets and friendly children playing about. There are about 14000 people living there, grandchildren and greatgrandchildren of emancipated slaves of African descent

Fondest memory: I will always remember La Boquilla for its many little fishing boats scattered here and there, looking abandoned (but they were not). Most of them were small, painted with bright colours... the kind of boat one would use to go fishing in the mangroves rather than on the sea.

Instant Answers: La Boquilla

Comments

La Boquilla Travel Guide
Map of La Boquilla