Columbia Travel Guide

Protesting the bull fight in Bogota
  • Columbia
  • Restaurants

Columbia Things to Do

by Jesse78 Written Jun 15, 2005

DEFINITELY check out the Botero museum in the old part of Bogota. I had no idea who he was, by name, but immediately recognized his work. The museum is right near a university in the old town, and we found that our taxi driver knew exactly where it was.

As an added bonus, the museum is free, so bring the whole family.

Botero, Large Ass, and I

by Jesse78 Written Jun 15, 2005

One of the better days we had was spent walking around the old town of Bogota. The old part of the city is south of Zona Rosa, and about 15 minutes or so by taxi. I think it was around $5 for the ride, so nothing serious. During the day, there are tons of people walking around, lots of students, and you can cruise the narrow streets and look at all the old churches and government buildings. I've heard that the area can be a bit sketchy at night, but it wasn't bad at all during the day.

I must say, there were some very gorgeous old building in the old part of town.

me, in front of an old building

by Jesse78 Written Jun 12, 2005

While my Columbian friend was working during the day, we set out by taxi to the walking streets around the neighborhood of Zona Rosa. There are lots of different shops and restaurants, and you can easily grab a table on the street and chill for a little while. The food it good, and it seems like a lot of locals eat in this area for business lunches.

The place seemed pretty safe, and for I white guy walking around with sketchy at best Spanish, I didn't have a single bit of trouble.

Columbia Hotels

Columbia Restaurants

by Jesse78 Written Jun 13, 2005

My friend took us up this windy highway, just outside of Bogota. All along the road were various places serving a variety of different roadside food. We drove for about 30 minutes, until we were in the hills far above Bogota. You could look down, along the highway, and see the entire city below you. When we finally got to the restaurant, there were tables both indoors and outdoors. We sat outdoors, and ate a wonderful meal in a beautiful setting. Next door, there was a horse stable, and you could actually "charter" a horseback ride back into Bogota. We decided to take the car.

Favorite Dish: I had the mixed meat platter, which was basically 4 different meats that were unbelievable. I believe that it had Chorizo, Pollo, Steak, and something else. It was mouth watering. If you are interested in this restaurant, I can contact my friend in Bogota and get the name and address.

Columbia Transportation

by Jesse78 Written Jun 12, 2005

I found it easy to take a taxi from the Bogota airport into the city. The airport is small, and as soon as you get your luggage, you are basically out on the street. When you walk out of the baggage claim, you can see a bunch of taxi drivers standing around immediately out the door. I made sure to find a taxi driver that had one of the legit taxis that was in the taxi line off to the right. I would tell you to do the same.

Instant Answers: Columbia

Comments

Columbia Travel Guide
Map of Columbia