Coffee, Bogotá

by mircaskirca
  • richiecdisc's Profile Photo

Juan Valdez Caf: getting nostalgic about choco coco

by richiecdisc Written Jul 28, 2010

despite the paper cups, not a bad place for java

We had not given a Juan Valdez Cafe a try until were in Cartagena about a month into our two month trip to Colombia but once we did, we felt the chain had something to offer. We would have much nicer coffee and better atmosphere later in Salento but in a pinch, Juan Valdez was going to have to do. While in Bogota on our second visit on our way back home with much higher prices on our horizon, we stopped in for an extended tasting and pick me up.

Favorite Dish: It only our second time in one of their outlets and though the cafes of Salento had been better, we had a nostalgic desire for the flavored coffee we had in Cartagena, the Choco Coco Latte (4300 COP or $2.15). As the name suggests, it is a chocolate-coconut infused latte and while the combination sounds strange at first, make no mistakes, it is quite tasty. We had it iced in hot hot hot Cartagena so opted for the warm version here to see if it tasted any better. It was nice but maybe not as good as remembered and was glad I decided to order an espresso (2100 COP or $1) as well. We were enjoying sitting there so I went back up and got a cup of their Cumbre (1600 COP or $1.30), the most robust of Juan Valdez roasts. It was very nice indeed. Just like at Starbucks, if you steer clear of the flavored coffees, it doesn't have to be an extortionate experience. Despite all the coffee, I was not feeling particularly buzzed. As we had learned in Salento, much of the best coffee in Colombia is not of the robusta variety which has more caffeine and has a more mellow refined flavor as well.

• Photography

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

Diletto Cafe: in need of a boost in the gold museum?

by richiecdisc Written Jul 28, 2010

as you can see, in need of espresso

The words coffee and Colombia are nearly synonymous to the outside world but once in the country you realize that much of the good stuff is exported. Your first taste of the national drink, tinto are disappointing to anyone who loves truly strong coffee. It is fairly cheap but not very satisfying if you came in hopes of having the best coffee in your life. Ironically, on our first day in Bogota, while at the Museo de Oro we had one of the best caffeine fixes of the trip. It was much needed as we had arrived late the previous night, were up early, and the famed gold museum is immense. The Diletto Cafe is the kind of place out of our price range back home and though very pricey for Bogota, it is still affordable in comparison.

Favorite Dish: We needed a boost and it amply provided it. I had a Dobio Espresso (3400 COP or $1.70) and Doreen ordered a Capucino Forte Normal (4300 COP or $2.15). Both were of very high quality and showed us that if willing to pay, the coffee in Colombia could be quite good.

• Museum Visits
    • Photography

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo

Oma: Fancy a Cup of Best Colombian Coffee?

by mircaskirca Updated May 2, 2010

Oma

If you would like to experience delicious Colombian coffee in a pleasant ambience you should not miss Oma (German for grandmother, fondly). The company is dedicated to coffee business and was established over thirty years ago. It has at least ten coffee shops in Bogotá. I visited two of them in the city centre. There are modern places with nice ambience and very good coffee. Their knowledge of coffee resulted in developing different coffee drinks to satisfy the taste of every customer.

You can choose between tens of different coffee drinks, from creamy cappuccino, coffee with chocolate, espresso macchiato to drinks with alcohol, such as Cafe crema, Irish coffee and cappuccino with amaretto, Bailey, brandy or cognac. They also offer light meals and ice cream. And don't forget to try their daily fresh pastries and cookies. They are delicious.

Different lines of coffee are available. The Finest Selection comes from selected coffee regions of Colombia, such as San Agustín, Bucaramanga and Boyaca. These regions have special quality types known as Caracolito and Organico.

Favorite Dish: I had a nice cup of creamy cappuccino and chocolate pastry which was really soft and melted in my mouth. Another time I had coffee with chocolate. It tasted really good. I also bought a few packages of coffee Organico to take with me so that I can enjoy the best Colombian coffee all year long, until my next visit of the country :)

• Luxury Travel

• Ossi.P's Profile Photo

by Ossi.P Written Nov 18, 2002

The perfect place to drink a coffee after a strengous day in the city. There are Omas all over Bogotá.
    You might also buy your coffee beans there.
    In "Parque 93" Oma, for example, is the cheapest place to go.

Watch out for Happy Hour. (4-8pm (?))

Favorite Dish: Café granizado (Ice-coffee) con Amaretto.

Instant Answers: Bogotá