Pickpockets, Bogotá

Know about this?

These theives are good at what they do..
    by DennyP
  • DennyP's Profile Photo

BEWARE OF PICKPOCKETS AND THEIVES.

by DennyP Written Apr 20, 2012

These theives are good at what they do..

BOGOTA
    Always when out and about here beware of theives and pickpockets. You will automatically be singled out for attention if you have light skin and/or have cameras etc. Poverty is rife and what you have is very attractive for people that have little..So, be careful..
    Always Be aware of your surroundings..
    Be extremely vigilant when in crowds.IE: Markets , crowded streets, railway and bus stations are a " red flag"..as these are extremely targeted as travellers are focused on other things. I know I got ripped off at a railway station.
    Try and carry any bag with valuables in front of you..not just over your shoulder but around your neck..
    Do not put your / any bag down without some form of personal restraint...it will be gone in a minute!!
    Always have a back up card and cash in a "stash" on your body..maybe a body belt..
    Beware of friendly hugs by strangers..it happens before you realise !!!
    ALWAYS BE CAREFUL...THESE PEOPLE ARE GOOD AT WHAT THEY DO...THEY DO IT FOR A LIVING.!

• Photography

• IrishFem's Profile Photo

Jewellery

by IrishFem Updated Apr 22, 2003

Although it has been sometime since l was in Bogota, l do remember that someone tried to pull my earrings out of my ear lobs and robbed my necklace. My watch was taken from me whilst my elbow was sticking out of the car. Don't wear Jewellery or show your camera. You can't exactly mingle if your not Colombian or have dark skin. Your a target for theives so be aware...

• Ames24's Profile Photo

Careful for pickpockets

by Ames24 Updated Dec 27, 2002

There are busy places full of street vendors and lots of people not to mention full buses and marketplaces including flea markets. Of course no matter where you go at any time especially where there are lotza people be careful for thieves. Keep your stuff to yourself, or your bag in front of you. One thing that I also didn't do was pull out my camera in a place I felt I shouldn't and/or mi amiga recommended that I did not ~ kept away from spelling myself out as 'tourist'. For those places I sometimes used a disposable camera instead of my good one.

Instant Answers: Bogotá