Tolù Things to Do

Most Recent Things to Do in Tolù

Boat tour to Isla San Bernardo

by MalenaN Updated Apr 4, 2011

Arriving to Isla Mucura

I had been recommended Mundo Marino for the boat tour to Islas San Bernardo. I booked the tour in the afternoon the day before. The tour was 55 000 pesos (July 2008) and the price included the boat transfer, visit to the Ecological park (Aquarium) on Isla Palma and lunch on Isla Mucura.
    I had been told to be at the office at 8.10 in the morning after and that the boat was leaving at 8.30 from the harbour. We were not in a hurry to leave even if we were more than 20 people. It seamed they wanted to wait until the boat was full, so we didn’t leave until 8.50.
    The first stop was at Isla Palma where we got a guided tour around in the Ecological Park. Then we went on to Isla Mucura where we had lunch and where there were possibilities for swimming, snorkelling (5000 pesos for half an hour) or taking a walk. The time on Isla Mucura was too short. We were going back already at 14.30 and at 14.10 someone told me it was time to go to the boat. They were really in a hurry and did not leave a minute after 14.30. One hour later we were back in Tolú. When I was recommended the tour I had been told the tours normally came back later. Another thing that was not good was that the boat went too fast. For the people in the front it was too bumpy and unpleasant. I sat more in the back and had big splashes of water coming over me almost all way back, and as the salty water came hard in my eyes I had to close the eyes for most of that ride.
    Islas San Bernardo are lovely and to enjoy the tour more there should absolutely be more time on Isla Mucura and a slower boat ride

Isla Mucura

Isla Mucura

Isla Mucura is the Island where we stopped for lunch and swimming. We passed the hotel Punta Faro and arrived to a place with several restaurants. Lunch was not served jet, but there was time to go on a half an hour snorkelling tour at the reef nearby. I and two other tourists did and it was 5000 pesos per person. There were no fins but it was okay anyway. We saw some small fishes, sea stars, sea weed and one of us saw a moray. The two other tourists snorkelled after lunch as well and said that that site was better.
    Coming back we were served lunch and then there was time for another snorkelling tour, walking or time on the beach. I went swimming.
    The beach by the restaurants is very small but the water is warm and crystal-clear. We had too little time here and were in a hurry back. We should have got one more hour!

• Diving and Snorkeling

Islote

Islote

As we passed Islote the boat slowed down, but we made no stop. Islote is interesting as it is the most densely populated island in the world. It is a tiny island with 97 houses, where almost 1300 people live. There is more than one person per square metre.

Isla Palma and the aquarium

A tucan o Isla Palma

On the boat tour in the San Bernardo Archipelago we mad the first stop at Isla Palma to see the Aquarium /Ecological Park. We had a guided tour around the park, where you can see both sea life and other animals from the area and other areas. There are turtles, barracudas, flamingos, tucans, an ostrich, monkeys and more. There was also a small museum with some items from old ships and aquariums in tunnels.

On Isla Palma there is also a 5-star hotel, Decameron. We didn’t visit it, but the beach looked lovely from the boat.

Instant Answers: Tolù

Comments

Tolù Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Tolù things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Tolù sightseeing.