Leticia Things to Do

Most Recent Things to Do in Leticia

Meet the Creatures

by Skibbe Written Jan 23, 2014

Our Amazon tour included a stop at a small village on the Peruvian side. For a donation, you can pet and get your pictures taken with some of the animals they keep here. We were just here a few minutes but I enjoyed it and especially liked the sloth.

Macedonia Amazonas Indigenous Community

by Skibbe Written Jan 23, 2014

This was the second stop on our ride on the Amazon. It is a small village where you learn a bit about the local tribe, the Tikunas. They do a dance and sell some of their products. Touristy but something you should experience while in this are. I snuck out and wandered the village a bit.

La Isla de los Micos

by Skibbe Written Jan 23, 2014

This "Monkey Island" was the first stop on our Amazon cruise. The far-from-shy Capuchin monkeys are all over you when you get to this place and it is wise to put your things away safely and secure the camera strap. You can buy bananas there for the full effect. There are also souvenir vendors with tables set out but they are far less aggressive than the monkeys.

Canopy at Omagua

by Skibbe Updated Jan 22, 2014

This was my first time to zip line and I wondered what I got myself into. First, it was very remote and I was the only customer there. Also, the climb up was very difficult. And I had trouble understanding what I was sure were important instructions because of the language barrier. But the guides were patient and it was a blast. The site is pretty and you get five stations there, with two zip lines, a very shaky net, and a suspension bridge. They seemed to take all the safety precautions, however, and it was a great experience.

Amazonia World Ecological Park

by Skibbe Written Jan 22, 2014

Pretty site where you can learn about the Amazon basin, though the language barrier kept me from learning as much as I would have liked. It includes areas featuring fruits and medicinal plants and an aquarium with numerous fish and snakes. Watch out for really gory photos of people who have been attacked by various nasty snakes.

This is owned by a family. The husband and wife were very welcoming and serve a great lunch (loved drinking the copoazu) in their house in the middle of the tour. They're fluent in English so I was able to ask them some questions.

• Mundo Amazonico

by CalebPepperman Updated Oct 1, 2013

Mundo Amazoncio is a ecological park located right in the middle of the Amazon rainforest. It is a nature reserve that houses one of the largest collection of Amazonian plants in Colombia. It was awesome for multiple reasons.
    1. There are four different tours, a uses of plants tour, a cultural tour, a sustainable products tours, and an aquarium.
    2. The guides are interesting and friendly, plus they have an English speaking guide. However, the best guides are actually people from tribes in the rainforest that the park has hired.
    3. The park really cares about the rainforest. They work with schools on recycling projects, are trying to help the indigenous tribes create there own resources, and really want to education people on how they can help the rainforest.

Each route is only about 5 US dollars, 10 thousand Colombian pesos. I thought this was extremely cheap for the amount of things I learned. As a student who wants to study chemistry, the place was fantastic. They tell you all about the indigenous uses for the plants, let you use a bow and arrow and dart gun, and you can even get lunch there, which was amazing. I highly recommend you stop by if you are in Leticia.

• Aquarium
    • Jungle and Rain Forest

• Study Spanish at The Amazon Spanish College

by aliciaandersson Written May 9, 2010
    Entrance

Leticia is easy to get around and it is a very calm and safe city. Leticia is really a good place to study Spanish.

I studied Spanish at a Spanish Language School, The Amazon Spanish College, and had a great time in Leticia. Leticia is really a good place to study Spanish. I spent 2 months studying and I highly recommend it. Here’s why.

First, the teachers are great and have a lot of experience. Secondly, the staff is very helpful and finds your volunteer choice as you want it. I worked as an English teacher in a nearby school. This was very rewarding. All courses include social and cultural activities 5 h a week, but we had a lot more than that, we met many local people in Leticia and visited almost everything. The excursions to the jungle and the Amazon river that are arranged by the school where amazing. I met many nice students from the US, Canada, UK and Sweden and Denmark.

The only aspect of the school I can’t talk about from direct experience is the homestay as I chose to stay in a bungalow at the college. But, it seemed that others students at the school who stayed with local families did have a good experience. If you like nature, want to learn Spanish and have a nice time, check out the option of studying here when you visit Leticia. It’s a very good way to get in touch with locals and really get to know the place a little bit more. The social and cultural activities are included in the course so you get good value for the money.

• Adventure Travel
    • Study Abroad

Isla de Flores

by Skibbe Written Jan 23, 2014

This was the last stop on our Amazon ride. It is the site of the amazing Queen Victoria Water Lillies. Gorgeous spots for your Kodak moment.

Instant Answers: Leticia

Comments

Leticia Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Leticia things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Leticia sightseeing.