Leticia Travel Guide

• Things to Do
  • Things to Do

Leticia Things to Do

• Isla de Flores

This was the last stop on our Amazon ride. It is the site of the amazing Queen Victoria Water Lillies. Gorgeous spots for your Kodak moment.

• Meet the Creatures

Our Amazon tour included a stop at a small village on the Peruvian side. For a donation, you can pet and get your pictures taken with some of the animals they keep here. We were just here a few minutes but I enjoyed it and especially liked the sloth.

• Macedonia Amazonas Indigenous Community

This was the second stop on our ride on the Amazon. It is a small village where you learn a bit about the local tribe, the Tikunas. They do a dance and sell some of their products. Touristy but something you should experience while in this are. I snuck out and wandered the village a bit.

• La Isla de los Micos

This "Monkey Island" was the first stop on our Amazon cruise. The far-from-shy Capuchin monkeys are all over you when you get to this place and it is wise to put your things away safely and secure the camera strap. You can buy bananas there for the full effect. There are also souvenir vendors with tables set out but they are far less aggressive...

• Canopy at Omagua

This was my first time to zip line and I wondered what I got myself into. First, it was very remote and I was the only customer there. Also, the climb up was very difficult. And I had trouble understanding what I was sure were important instructions because of the language barrier. But the guides were patient and it was a blast. The site is pretty...

• Amazonia World Ecological Park

Pretty site where you can learn about the Amazon basin, though the language barrier kept me from learning as much as I would have liked. It includes areas featuring fruits and medicinal plants and an aquarium with numerous fish and snakes. Watch out for really gory photos of people who have been attacked by various nasty snakes. This is owned by a...

Leticia Restaurants

• Skibbe's Profile Photo

by Skibbe Written Jan 22, 2014

This place is well known and came highly recommended. I liked it so much I went twice. It has great Amazon decor--like a fishing lodge. Service is very good and the food is wonderful. I enjoyed sitting upstairs and watching the street below.

Favorite Dish: There are some pretty exotic choices here for the adventurous but I stuck with the Pirarucu de Pupeca with sweet plantains and it was delicious. It is also a place to get a good caipirinha.

Leticia Transportation

• AeroRepublica from Bogota

Aero Republica is just about your only option from Bogota, with flights on Sundat, Monday, Wednesday and Friday every week. Since they are the only game in town don't be supprised if they are not exactly on schedule. Confirm, and bring a book to the airport.

• 3 days of relaxation

leticia - iquitosthere are big cargo boats, trevelling up and down the amazon rivier, almost evry day, but nobody exept the captain knows when, so be pation, don't worry, everything settles down, its cheap, arround 15 $ with 3 meals per day, u sleep in ur own hamaca, and it's really an intersting experience - i'll write more in my iquitos page

• the only road around

There are so few roads around Leticia that you almost never travel by land. Our accommodations were in a small farm 11 kilometres away from the city and to get into the city we usually got the “colectivo” – an old Volkswagen van – that was cheap and was available every 30 minutes. It was cheap and nice to make that little voyage. There were two...

Leticia Local Customs

• faq's Profile Photo
    isla de los micos, colombia

by faq Updated Dec 30, 2004

Many people in the Amazonas region, mainly people from small villages and from the forest, believes that, when someone takes them a photo, they steal their soul or a bit of their soul. As a method of respect for their culture, ask people before taking fotos from them if you feel they become bothered with that.

Leticia Warnings and Dangers

• Skibbe's Profile Photo

by Skibbe Written Jan 22, 2014

I somehow missed that you have to get a yellow fever vaccine to enter Leticia until I was on my way there. Fortunately, the airport in Bogota offers free vaccines near the international terminal. After all that, however, no once asked when I landed. Still best to be safe and get the vaccine before you go.

Leticia What to Pack

• oceania26's Profile Photo

by oceania26 Updated Nov 15, 2010

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: bring head lamp, water proof camera and closed walking shoes that can dry easily
    (not hiking or running shoes). long sleeve pants and tops - ´because of the
    rainfall and humidity it is hard to dry things so bring enough clothes to last
    you your trip but not too many

I would recommend to reserve one outfit for when you are not doing anything so
    you have clean dry clothes and alternate your trekking/activity clothing.

lodges typically provide you with towel and soap so don´t bother bringing

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: many lodges provide organic shampoo and soap -- if they're really serious about being environmentally friendly they won't let you use your own

Photo Equipment: I would recommend getting a waterproof camera especially if you want to do water activities and take pictures. I had my SLR but kept it locked in my cabin most of the time because of the high humidity

Instant Answers: Leticia

Comments

Explore Deeper into Leticia
Map of Leticia