Popayán Warnings and Dangers

try Caucano if you eat a bit too much
    by richiecdisc
    feeling better w/ help from my friend
  • D captures the schnitzel I helped her eat
    D captures the schnitzel I helped her...

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Popayán

• Bindlestiff99's Profile Photo

Disco from hell

by Bindlestiff99 Updated Jul 15, 2011

Popayan is a lovely city, but. . . .

Unless you intend to join the disco itself, stay away from a bed anywhere near Parque Caldas, the central square, on Thusday through Saturday nights (and Sundays if Monday is a holiday -- of which there are many.) To coin an advertising slogan, 'the only risk' is sleep deprivation.

There's a full-on, boom-boom-driven, disco at one corner of the park which annoys everyone within three or four blocks until three in the morning. (The HostelTrail is just far enough away.) There will be no escape from it, except perhaps heavy sleeping draughts. (FYI, first light is always at 5:30 in the morning this near the equator.) Not only will the noise be irritating, perhaps even more so is the arrogance and disregard for others that this shows. I've been told there have been (at least) dozens of lawsuits against the noise, to no apparent effect. The police, courts, and municipal government will/can do nothing about it. One has to wonder why.

Ironically, perhaps, the disco is located across the street from city hall. I'd be willing to bet no one sleeps there.

There are many other nice towns in Colombia to choose from for your weekends.

P.S. I am a part-time resident here, not someone who just woke up in one humonguous irritation from lack of last night's rest.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

try some Caucano if you eat too much

by richiecdisc Written Jan 4, 2011

try Caucano if you eat a bit too much

The food in Popayán was so good that on a few occasions, I at least ate a bit too much. This is typical in a place like Germany, where foods can be fatty and rich, so it's not unusual to have a schnaps like a kräuter liquor to ease the pressure on the old tummy. Ironically enough, D ordered a chuleta de cerdo (pork cutlet) one night and out came one of the biggest schnitzels we'd ever seen. Needless to say not only did I have to help her eat it but also we both felt a bit overstuffed. Well, we had heard about the local aguardiente produced in the Valle de Cauca called Caucano. Though by definition, they all are anise-based, we had found others to not have a particularly licorice flavor but we decided to give this one a go anyway. It was surprisingly smooth and indeed did taste of licorice. It also did the trick and made us feel a lot better after huge meals. It was 9000 COP ($4.50) for a 375ml bottle.

• Beer Tasting
    • Photography

Instant Answers: Popayán

Comments

Popayán Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Popayán warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Popayán sightseeing.