Unique Places in Departamento del Chocó

at La Poza de los Reyes
    taking rest at La Poza de los Reyes
  • house where Veronica and Vianelly Valencia live
    house where Veronica and Vianelly...

Most Viewed Off The Beaten Path in Departamento del Chocó

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo

Ecological Trek to La Poza de los Reyes

by mircaskirca Updated Jun 6, 2010

I went on two very pleasant hikes, thanks to some people who kindly offered to guide me around. First one was to La Poza de los Reyes and to Cascada de los Reyes. I left San Pacho early in the morning and was accompanied by Javier (the friendly owner of cabaña where I was staying) and Lilian to the eco village Princesa Dobaibe where I was going to meet Veronica and Vianelly Valencia. I walked with them back to Aldea de Río Ciego (a 20-minute walk). They live in a house surrounded with tropical forest. Here we met Eduardo who then joined us as well. We were offered coffee and bananas from the tree behind the house and then the hike started.

The trail led through tropical forest with many streams and we had to cross three hills. After 2 hours we reached La Poza de los Reyes, a place with a natural pool, cascades and round rocks to relax after bathing. We passed by the only house in the area and asked the owner if she could make lunch for us. When it was finished her son came to the pool to call us. The lunch consisted of rice, white and purple potato; others also had scrambled egg. The simple house with a hammock was full of curious children. In front of the house small pigs, chickens and a dog found their place.

Rested and satisfied with the food we were ready to continue. There was about a 20-minute walk to a lovely waterfall Cascada de los Reyes. The last part was quite uphill, rocky and slippery but worth every effort. We came to the foot of the waterfall where we took another refreshing bath. A beautiful place, and also the path that leads there. While walking I also spotted some very unique flowers.

Going back the same way, it went a little faster since most of the time we walked downhill. We were offered another coffee at girls' house and I got a plastic bag full of bananas to take with me. This was about the end of a very enjoyable hike.

Then I was accompanied by Eduardo to the beach. He asked me to go with him to visit his friend Marina who lives in Agua Dulce, in the last house on this strip of the coast. She was busy preparing dinner and we were invited to join her. We had a couple of beers and chatted until late.

I had a great day behind and was looking froward to the next day and yet another hiking trip.

more pics in the travelogue

Cascada de los Reyes house where Veronica and Vianelly Valencia live trek to La Poza de los Reyes at La Poza de los Reyes taking rest at La Poza de los Reyes
    • Jungle and Rain Forest
    • Hiking and Walking
    • Eco-Tourism

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo

Ecological Trek to Titumate

by mircaskirca Updated Jun 6, 2010

We all enjoyed our hike the previous day so much that we decided to go on another one. It was to Titumate. The village is quite far from San Pacho so we had to start even earlier. To save me time in the morning, Marina suggested that I could sleep in her house, which I accepted. It was actually very nice to sleep there. Her house is located only a short distance from the beach so I could hear the relaxing sound of the ocean.

In the morning Eduardo came to pick me up and on the way, close to Aldea de Río Ciego, Veronica and Vianelly Valencia were waiting to join us. Landscape of the area was plain, there were no higher hills. It was an easy hike through a truly beautiful grasslands sprinkled with tropical trees. The surroundings was bright green and very tranquil, there were only birds and cows. After walking for some time I realized that nobody exactly knew the way. We would easily miss but there were nobody to ask. We followed our instincts. About an hour before Titumate we finally met a few horsemen and they told we were on the right way.

In Titumate we took a short walk around the village and had lunch in a small family run restaurant. Then we spent some time on the waterfront, having a beer and observing life of the local people, while waiting for the boat to return to San Pacho.

This was another great hike. I really loved the landscape and the village, and I'm glad I met these wonderful people who enable me to get to know this lovely area. It seemed it was from both sides. They equally enjoyed the trip but they wouldn't do it if it wasn't to accompany me :)

hike to Titumate
    • Eco-Tourism
    • Jungle and Rain Forest
    • Hiking and Walking

Top Departamento del Chocó Hotels

Capurganá Hotels
15 Reviews - 7 Photos

Instant Answers: Departamento del Chocó

Comments

Departamento del Chocó Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Departamento del Chocó off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Departamento del Chocó sightseeing.
Map of Departamento del Chocó