Salento Favorites

the beautiful Motmot
    by richiecdisc
  • the electric blue tail is a real sight to behold
    the electric blue tail is a real sight...
    by richiecdisc

Most Recent Favorites in Salento

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

and incredibly again

by richiecdisc Written Dec 12, 2010

the electric blue tail is a real sight to behold

Fondest memory: Later, on waking her for breakfast, she was a bit peeved that I had not woken her to see the magical bird
    but knew deep down she knew I was probably right for letting her sleep in with an early wake-up call the next morning. That night, lying in bed in the dark looking at the photos of that day which had become a custom, she was a bit upset again when seeing the shots of the Motmot I had taken that morning. I told her not to worry, that maybe the bird would be out there again the next morning and we would have to be out there early to catch the jeep to Valle de Cocora. I didn't actually believe this but wanted to make her feel better.

The next morning we were enjoying a coffee on the veranda, getting ready to head to the square to catch the jeep when the Motmot did in fact appear, making not only my life easier but my wife very happy. What were the chances of this? I guess pretty good. The owner said the bird routinely visited the garden in the morning. Well, as routine as an electric blue Motmot can be I guess.

• Birdwatching
    • Photography

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

on spotting the Motmot again

by richiecdisc Updated Dec 12, 2010

the beautiful Motmot

Favorite thing: As small as Salento was, it seemed to have it all. Nice architecture, interesting food, and nature-oriented excursions close at hand. Most of all, it was a great place to relax since everything was close at hand and not overwhelming.

Fondest memory: Staying at hostels can be overbearing if you are not in the mood to socialize but by the time we got to Salento, we were. For most of our Colombian trip, we opted to stay in inexpensive Colombian hotels mostly utilized by Colombians on a budget rather than the backpacker crowd. It had been a generally great experience but after doing the Ciudad Perdida trek with a great group and then being solo for a few days, we longed for the camaraderie once again. The Plantation House seemed a perfect fit and once there we fell right into the fold, meeting up with some great people. One couple kept talking about a gorgeous bird they'd seen in the garden but couldn't really describe it very well so I didn't think more about it until the next morning. While the veranda was full in the evenings, I had it to myself early in the morning when backpackers tend to be sleeping if not heading for the bus terminal or out on a tour of some kind. While sitting there reading, I caught some blue out of the corner of my eye and looked up to see a Motmot resting on a branch in a tree in the hostel's garden. I had seen one in Barichara weeks earlier but it hadn't dawned on me that this was the bird the couple was talking about. It was a good thing I had my camera with me as I didn't want to wake my wife on a day we didn't have any plans knowing we'd need to get up early the next day. (concluded below in Fondest Memory)

• Birdwatching
    • Photography

Instant Answers: Salento

Comments

Salento Favorites

Reviews and photos of Salento favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Salento sightseeing.