Cali Restaurants

SaraJuana
    by mircaskirca

Most Recent Restaurants in Cali

• NathalieA2's Profile Photo

PITA MAJITA RESTAURANTE: PITAS, PITAS AND MORE PITAS!!

by NathalieA2 Written Jan 22, 2013

PITA MAJITA, what a nice surprice! walking the streets of San Antonio (Cali- Colombia)I found this amazing restaurant, brand new, this family have been working with lebannes food during all their life, but it is the first time they open their own restaurant.
    the service is awesome, they make you feel you are visiting them at home
    the food it is delicious, all the colors, the flavors, the scents. IT IS AMAZING.
    the house is one of this beautiful houses that remember the old times in Cali, and the neighborhood it is safe and magic.

Favorite Dish: the best it is the PITAS, they have different pitas, with different topings to put in. and of course the arabian lemonade.

• Beer Tasting

SaraJuana: Music, Tertulia, Art and Healthy Food

SaraJuana

SaraJuana is a new café, restaurant and tertulia in San Antonio, only two blocks from Cafe Tostaky. Tertulia is a Spanish or Latin American social gathering with literature, art and music. Participants may share their recent creations (poetry, short stories and other writings, art works and music). At first tertulias were held in private homes but in recent centuries they met in clubs and cafés.

SaraJuana is a rather small place owned by a young local couple. They offer healthy breakfast and lunch (also set meals). At night it becomes more of a meeting place where one can enjoy coffee, chocolate, sweet things, dishes to order, beer and cocktails.

Favorite Dish: One late afternoon I dined here. As I wasn't very hungry a light meal did perfectly well. I had a tostada vegetariana with red pepper, sweet corn, mango, pineapple and cheese. In Colombia, tostada refers to a green, unripe plantain which has been cut into pieces, fried, flattened and fried again. A glass of delicious curuba (known also as banana passionfruit) juice was a nice companion to the meal.

Tostada was 8.000 COP and the juice 3.000 COP (December 2009).

• Music

El Pescador: Centro Gastronómico y Cultural del Pacifíco

by mircaskirca Updated Jul 23, 2011

robalo fish, rice and patacon

The complete name of the restaurant El Pescador is Centro Gastronómico y Cultural del Pacifico and as its name suggests, it's not only a restaurant, but a meeting place with cultural roots, voices, flavours and rhythms of the Pacific. The restaurant has always exhibitions of paintings by artists from Pacific coast. The staff working in El Pescador is from different parts of the Pacific coast and they wear typical dresses. The fish they offer is bought exclusively and directly from the fishermen. They are working with Fundación Equilibrio for the commercialization of plastic from recycling, that serves in the construction of social housing since it looks like wood.

It is open Mon-Sat 11:00am-04:00pm, Fri 11:00am-10pm.

Favorite Dish: The restaurant specializes on seafood from the Pacific. I had a daily menu which was sancocho de pescado, a traditional soup (stew) made with fish, along with large pieces of plantain, potato, yucca and vegetables of the region. It was served with a big piece of robalo fish cooked in coconut milk, rice and patacon (fried plantain) on another plate.

Sancocho de pescado was absolutely delicious and immediately became one of my favourite Colombian dishes. Together with a glass of pineapple juice it was 9.000 COP.

A year later I returned to Cali and of course had lunch in El Pescador again. Among many seafood dishes I chose sancocho de ñato and had a glass of borojo juice with the meal. This is a fruit from the Amazon rainforest, highly energetic and nutritious, often used because of its aphrodisiac and medicinal properties. I did not like the taste at all (love all other Colombian fruits!). I had the juice with water and with no sugar but I was supposed to have it with milk and sugar. Well, another lesson to learn :)

The bill came to 14.000 COP, taking in account that I asked for bottled water to use for juice.

sancocho de pescado recipe

Sazón Marino: Restaurante y Cevicheria

cazuela de marisco

There are at list a half-dozen seafood restaurants and cevicherias in Galería Alameda area. I looked at the menu of a few of them and then decided to have a lunch in Sazón Marino. It's a simple place with outside seating, a perfect vantage point for watching the activity in the colourful market. The blue (though plastic) chairs somehow remind of the sea. At lunch time it gets busy with local people. I was here two times during my stay in Cali. In one occasion there was a man with guitar playing Colombian music.

The service was quick and friendly. I had a conversation with señora Cristina, the owner, a nice and energetic lady. She also brought me to the kitchen to see how the preparation of the food was going. I was pleasantly surprised how clean it was. Certainly a good sign.

Favorite Dish: On my first visit I had their famous cazuela de marisco. The seafood casserole was prepared with fresh ingredients from the market, such as shrimp, clams, lobster, squid, octopus and fish. I love the combination of seafood, coconut milk and fresh cilantro. The dish was accompanied with rice, patacon and salad. It came with a glass of aguapanela con limón.

On my second visit I opted for arroz con camarones (rice with shrimp), accompanied with patacon, salad and a glass of aguapanela con limón. The dish was tasty though I prefered cazuela.

I don't remember the exact price but both meals were around 12.000 - 14.000 COP.

• Beer Tasting

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

local bakery: pan de bono for sale

by richiecdisc Written Dec 24, 2010

a real hole-in-the-wall worth seeking out

There was a little bakery around the corner from our San Antonio digs at Cafe Tostaky. It was a great godsend as our place did not include breakfast and since it was not high season, the breakfast that they did normally sell were not being offered. This little hole-in-the-wall place made it easy to have something small to eat early in the morning and the crowds of locals that lined up outside it attests to it having the goods.

Favorite Dish: They had sweets like guava pastries for only 700 COP (35 cents) and they were generally piping hot or at least warm, such was their turnover. I liked the bagel-shaped pan de bono, a slightly sourish cheesy type bread that started my day just perfectly.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

assorted street vendors: snacking around is great in Cali

by richiecdisc Updated Dec 24, 2010

this little guy at Cali Zoo likes snacking around

Cali is a town full of street vendors and lots of local snacks. One of the great joys of the town is walking around and sampling what you can while enjoying the sights of the city.

Favorite Dish: Empanadas abound much as they do in all of Colombia but I would have to say Cali had some of the tastiest. One was stuffed with shredded beef and was particularly delicious, and affordable at only 1000 COP (50 cents). Fruit was everywhere as might be expected in this tropical location. Watermelon slices were cheap at 500 COP (25 cents) and half a papaya could be had for little more than 1000 COP. Our favorite was green mango sprinkled chili, salt and lime for 1000 COP (50 cents).

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

Champu Lady: one local keeps a tradition alive

finally found the champu too

While walking around our first evening in Cali, we lucked out by running into a woman selling the local beverage champu right from the front of her house. Though we were really in search of another drink called lulada, this was still a nice easy find. There was a big black ceramic vessel heralding the drink in bold white letters.

Favorite Dish: We stopped in and ordered one, not knowing if we would like it. It was quite a dense drink, more of a desert and so thick you needed a spoon “to eat it.” It was lulo-based. This is a very tart local fruit that only grows in the Valle de Cauca. It is not however a sour drink as it is a mixture that contains pineapple, corn, and surely some sugar. It was not exactly what we expected but it was interesting and easily satisfied our urges for a sweet for the night! In our guide, it spoke about the prevalence of the both champu and lulada but it seems both have fallen a bit by the wayside as they are not so easy to find. It seemed this woman was trying to cash in on the fact that gringos that stay in San Antonio might be looking for it, and indeed at least we were. It was 2000 COP ($1) for a healthy portion of the delicacy. It was enough for both us.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

Lulo Lady: the lulo lady gets her man

the lady of jugo gets her man

Before we found our lulada beverage of choice, we discovered this little juice stand on the main square where Iglesia de San Francisco is situated. The owner was a trip, a woman perhaps in her late 40s, perhaps early 50s but still very attractive. She was quite aware of this and it seems her entire clientele consisted of older men obviously enamored by her charms. She pulled up a couple of small plastic stools for us which afforded a great view of the square.

Favorite Dish: We both had jugos de lulos. This was our first taste of the tart but refreshing fruit, and we loved it. Of course, there was a healthy dose of sugar thrown into these smoothies as is the custom with all fruit shakes in Colombia, and in this case probably much needed due to the intense sourness of the fruit. They were only 1500 COP ( 75 cents) apiece and quite large. I'm sure we would have gone back had we not found our beloved lulada later that afternoon. If in the square, this place is well worth seeking out, especially if you are an older guy looking for a special local lady and the treatment only she can give while doling out great fresh juices and smoothies.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

Fruitas de Occidente: the lulada is found

by richiecdisc Updated Dec 24, 2010

my breakie empanads & lulo drink

Ok, now we were finally in downtown Cali after being relegated to the safer San Antonio area of town the night previous, our first. It was early morning and we were looking for breakfast. My wife, tired of many of the typical deep-fried Colombia “desayuno treats” was looking for fruit while I was looking to satiate my desire for the local before heading home in about two weeks. How we happened upon “Fruitas de Occidente” is beyond me and as good as that first meal was, it just barely scraped on how important this little hole-in-the-wall fruitateria would be in our assessment of Cali. They had one of those typical picture menus that seemed to radiate from within and it heralded all kinds of Colombian treats, ranging from deep-fried delicacies and complete breakfasts to more fruity options. It was fairly empty due to the early hour as we would later learn and foreboding. The owner welcomed us with open arms and though not exactly atmospheric, it turned out to be exactly what we were looking for.

Favorite Dish: D got the Desayuno Completo (6000 COP or $3) which was huevos pericos along with a tinto and fruit cup. It pretty much gave her everything she was looking for. I opted for some of the deep-fried goodies that had drawn me to the place in the first place. I had a bunelo (deep-fried cheesy type pastry) for 700 COP or 35 cents, chicken empanada for 700 COP, and and tinto or black coffee for 800 COP. For less than $6 we both left full and little did we know in the home of the lulada that we had sought and would find here later that afternoon.

We stopped back for the famed lulada later that day. This rich beverage made of a fruit only crown in the area called lulo along with sweetened condensed milk was one of the main reason I decided to break the trip from Salento to Popayan in half. Such is the power of a hard to find food item for me. I noticed it after ordering breakfast and it was pricey so decided to look around first to see if I could find it elsewhere. When it became apparent it would not be happened upon easily, we stopped back again and ordered one for 4800 COP ($2.40), a relative King's ransom but it was delightful. With only one morning left, we hurried back for our last one....or so we thought.

Cafe Tostaky: Cali has great coffee too

one very nice espresso

Cafe Tostaky is not only a budget place to stay in San Antonio but also a very popular place to have a coffee or beer in the evening. It is French-run so has a certain flair missing in other such places in Colombia and the décor is upscale and trendy but maintains a nice relaxed feeling. There is a small terrace you can sit on but the interior is so nice it seems a waste not to sit in there unless it's too hot.

Favorite Dish: We had a gorgeous espresso (1000 COP or 50 cents) on arrival which was up to par with the ones we had just had in the Zona Cafetera so nice to know great coffee was not behind us just yet. We also had a few Club Colombian beers which while pricey at 3000 COP ($1.50) were much enjoyed in the cool ambiance of the cafe, and very convenient since our room was right upstairs.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

Baharoque: a great set lunch in a trendy setting

a lovely set lunch

Baharoque is a relatively new restaurant in the San Antonio neighborhood of Cali that is amongst the new breed of place opening up not only there but across the country. It is housed in a classic old building but renovated just enough to give it a warm modern look without losing its authenticity in any way. In fact, it probably has more of it sans the fluorescent lighting that the cheapies still stick by. There are quite a few rooms and during the lunchtime when we visited, they were all pretty full. Servers were busy to say the least but service was friendly and efficient, mad easier by the fact that just about everyone was ordering the almuerzo or set lunch. This new breed of place serves this classic lunch time special and generally with meals well within the realm of Colombian standards with perhaps a bit of flair when it comes to presentation. It was indeed a very relaxed and nice dining experience. We would have surely went back again if we had more time in town.

Favorite Dish: We both went for the almuerzo or set lunch which included a soup, main meal, and beverage. The soup was a very tasty vegetable one, garnished with a banana leaf for good effect. The meals came with the ubiquitous white rice but also some new age cole slaw and potato salad. There was a choice of chicken and beef and we ordered both and shared them. Each was very tasty and while the portions were not enormous, the combination of the soup and complete meal was certainly filling enough. The set meal was 6000 COP ($3) so certainly a great price for the quality of the food and dining experience. No service or tax was added and no tip seemed to be expected.

San Antonio Pizza: Colombians love pizza too

my pantalones

While I'm not a huge fan of eating Italian out and I abhor when people go to a foreign country (aside from Italy of course) and eat in nothing but Italian restaurants. Don't get me wrong, I love Italian food as much as the next person but I like to eat local delicacies when in Rome or not as this was the case. Of course, I realize that food in South America as a rule can get a bit tiresome and may lack variety, especially in small towns. So, when traveling around for a couple months, it's not uncommon to craze some of your comfort foods. It also doesn't hurt when you have limited options which seemed to be the case our first night in Cali. Now, Cali probably has as much food variety as any city in Colombia aside from Bogota, Cartagena, or Medellin, but this was our first night and we'd arrived very late afternoon. We hadn't ventured into city center and now that it was dark, we didn't want to tempt fate by walking into an area that has a dodgy reputation once the sun goes down. So, we just wandered around relatively safe San Antonio and there weren't many choices. Those there were seemed to be geared more towards western palates, not that they were not filled with Colombians, they were. Colombians love pizza as much as any other nation and they were out in force enjoying it. So, we joined in with them at a very popular eatery next to the park up on the hill in the obviously becoming trendy neighborhood. San Antonio Pizza was quite small and most of it was outside. We squeezed in as best we could and tried to blend in with the much better dressed than us patrons. It's a casual place but Colombians as a rule are a well-dressed lot and the place seemed to cater to a younger hip clientele. The atmosphere was boisterous, but it wasn't so loud you couldn't hear your own conversation thanks largely to it being outside.

Favorite Dish: I had the Pizza Pantalones Especiale (9000 COP or $4.50) which was more or less a calzone filled with mozzarella, tomatoes and mushrooms. D had Grantinada Papas con Championes (8500 COP or $4.25) which was a quasi-lasagna made of potatoes and mushrooms smothered in cheese. I washed mine down with a fair limonada (2500 COP or $1.25) or fresh squeezed lemonade. D had a fresh-squeezed mandarin (3500 COP or $1.75). So, our bill came to about 24,000 COP or $12. Not bad for such a nice trendy place. The food was quite good and authentic. Though not overly big, it was filling enough.

• Photography

• Restaurante Granada Faro: The perfect mediterranean food!

by jotagomez Updated Nov 3, 2009

It is a spectacular restaurant located more than 15 years in the traditional area of Granada district of Cali, Colombia; is a corner house, monumental, iconic, unique and cultural heritage of the capital of Valle. Granada Faró, stands out for its soft touch of elegance, simplicity and delicacy, both in its decor and in its atmosphere, conducive to rest, relax and have a good conversation.

Their menu: salads, meats, poultry, seafood, pastas, risottos and desserts. Characteristic of Mediterranean dishes and can be accompanied by a delicious wine or her unique drinks.

All thanks to the outpouring of creativity from the chef and owner Ricardo Higuera that over these 15 years has lifted its stay and restaurant is renowned for its unique and exquisite cuisine and service proposal.

Favorite Dish: Well my favorite dish is the LOMO PASTORITA, are Tenderloin medallions in a sauce of dried tomatoes, grilled peppers, caramelized onions, artichokes and crispy bacon. But I love chicken to so I recommend SANTA ROSA is a breaded chicken stuffed with ham and mozzarella and peppers with spaghetti.

• Wine Tasting

La Canoa: Pleasant Ambient and Convenient Location

by mircaskirca Updated Jun 25, 2009

La Canoa

I came across La Canoa already my first day while strolling the streets of San Antonio with my Canadian friend Kate. Later I came back several times. The café was very conveniently located, just one block from Café Tostaky where I was staying and it had a small outdoor seating. The first thing that drew my attention was the picturesque ambient, made of natural materials (wood, stone and ceramic tiles details at the bar) and painted in vivid colours of blue and green.

It was a hot day and we already explored a great part of San Antonio. We thought it would be time for a short break and a cold drink. After we ordered our drinks we started to talk to Andres, a handsome young guy from the bar. He was a little embarrassed at the beginning. But later, when he got used to our company, he even did a short dance performance for us (we were the only guest at that moment).

Favorite Dish: Kate had a beer and I decided for champú, a thick drink made with crushed maiz, fruits (lulo and pineaple), sweetened with panela and seasoned with cinnamon and cloves. Refreshing and yummy!

You can also get various meals but I never dined here.

• sfphototraveller's Profile Photo

Cali Viejo in CAli: Old style restaurant

by sfphototraveller Updated Oct 29, 2007

Its an open style restaurant. I have read its a nice place to visit and walk around.
    After visiting the zoo i wanted to get something to eat and remembered reading about this place and wanted to try the food.

Favorite Dish: I ordered Chicharron 2,586 was small hot and tasty,empanada 862 were very small thumb size,Lomo Viche 22,414 great steak, Lomo De Caracha 21,552 also a great steak. Jugo Fruta juice 3,879x2.

The bill for 2 people eating steaks 72,775 Pesos=$ 36

• Archeology
    • Architecture

Instant Answers: Cali

Comments

Cali Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Cali restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Cali sightseeing.