San Gil Transportation

by MalenaN
    Along the way
    by MalenaN
  • atmospheric trees in Parque El Gallineral
    atmospheric trees in Parque El...
    by richiecdisc

Most Recent Transportation in San Gil

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

a conveniet transit hub

by richiecdisc Written Oct 8, 2010

atmospheric trees in Parque El Gallineral

San Gil is easily reached by bus but the main terminal is about 3 kilometers from town. In the relatively hot climate of San Gil, we opted to take a taxi from there for 3000 COP ($1.50) which also made navigation to town and our proposed hotel easier. The bus from Tunja to San Gil was 30,000 COP ($15) and took about 4.5 hours. We had to bargain them down from 35,000 COP which was nearly double our guidebook quotes, showing how much prices have increased in Colombia in the last few years. When we left town, we grabbed a bus to El Banco which had a considerable stopover in Bucamaranga. They wanted 55,000 COP ($27.50) for the long journey but we got them to drop the price to 45,000 COP each. It took 2.5 hours to get to Bucamaranga where we found perhaps the nicest and most modern bus terminal in South America. In fact, it may have been the nicest bus terminal we've ever seen. It provided a very pleasant place to eat and wait for our overnight bus to El Banco and eventually Mompos.

• Photography

Between San Gil and Barichara

by MalenaN Written Aug 26, 2008

Parque El Gallineral

More local buses are leaving San Gil from a small bus terminal on the corner of Calle 15/Carrera 10. The buses for Barichara are leaving about every 45 minutes. When I arrived at the terminal I didn’t have to wait long for the bus to leave. The ticket was 3300 pesos (July 2008) and the bus journey to Barichara took almost 40 minutes. In Barichara the bus stopped at the main square, Parque Principal., and that’s from where you can take a bus back to San Gil.

From San Gil to Bogota

by MalenaN Written Aug 16, 2008

Stop along the way

Many buses are passing by San Gil on there way to Bogotá. I arrived to the terminal in San Gil just after 7am. There were two companies next to each other offering tickets for a bus leaving 7.30. One was Omega that had a small bus and one was Copatran which had a big bus. Both cost 30 000 pesos (July 2008). I bought a ticket with Copatran. The bus didn't arrive until just before 8am (coming from Bucaramanga). The chairs were very comfortable and could be leaned back a lot, with support for the legs. There was still enough space between the rows of chairs. And there were two toilets on the bus. But it was too cold. I don't like air condition and can't understand why it must be so cold on the buses. After 1,5 hours we stopped for a 30 minutes break to eat (I had been at the same place the previous year). After that they showed the film Too fast, too furious - Tokyo Drive.
    At 14.15 we stopped at Portal Norte, but I thought it would be more convenient to continue to the terminal and take a taxi from there, instead of the Transmillenio from Portal Norte. I had forgotten that it took as long as another hour to go to the terminal.
    At the terminal I stood in line for one of the secure taxis. I gave the address to where I was going and got a paper with the car number and the cost of the journey. To Platapus it was 7400 pesos.

To San Gil from Pamplona

by MalenaN Written Aug 16, 2008

View from the cathedral

I left the hotel at 6.50 and walked to the bus terminal. As I arrived to the terminal I bought a water and a coffee. While I was doing this a driver came over and asked if I was going to Bucaramanga (where I had to change) because the bus was leaving now. 7.05 the bus left the terminal in Pamplona and I thought I was very lucky and that I probably would reach San Gil not too late. Well, after 15 minutes it was a stop in the traffic (both ways) because of construction work and we were standing still for 50 minutes. Later we stopped for 30 minutes to eat. The road between Pamplona and Bucaramanga is going over the mountains and if you are sitting on the left side (leaving Pamplona) you can take photos with great views over both cities, but unfortunately I sat on the wrong side of the bus. After 4 h 45 minutes we arrived to the terminal in Bucaramanga. The ticket between Pamplona and Bucaramanga was 20 000 pesos (July 2008).
    In Bucaramanga I waited almost an hour for the bus to San Gil. That ticket was 15 000 pesos and the journey took almost three hours. Once again the road is going over the mountains and there are many stunning views. There were a lot of trucks on the road and traffic was many times going very slow.
    From the place where the bus stopped in San Gil a taxi to Macondo Guesthouse was 2600 pesos.

Instant Answers: San Gil

Comments

San Gil Transportation

Reviews and photos of San Gil transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for San Gil sightseeing.