Isla de Providencia Transportation

Most Recent Transportation in Isla de Providencia

Return Flight from San Andrés to Providencia

by mircaskirca Updated Jul 11, 2010

on the flight to Providencia

I arranged with my taxi driver Wilmar to pick me up at at 06:00am to drive me to the airport. To my pleasant surprised he arrived even 15 minutes earlier and was patiently waiting for me in his car. After a week I returned to San Andrés and then took another flight to Cartagena. I knew I would only have little time between the flights so I arranged the transportation from the airport to posada (to take the big luggage) and back to the airport with Wilmar again.

From San Andrés both Satena and Searca have at two flights daily (morning and afternoon) to Providencia. In the high season there are more flights so getting the flight ticket shouldn't be a problem. But since I was travelling on the 31st of December I thought I better book in advance. Internet booking can only be done through Aviatour (www.aviatur.com). I did it already last year and it went perfectly well. This time was already easier since I already had a contact person. The flights were with Satena.

I took a morning flight with the departure from San Andrés at 07:20 and a week later I should leave Providencia with the flight at 10:05. I arrived to the airport early so they put me on the earlier flight which was with Searca (www.searca.com.co). For this route they use those little twin-prop planes with 21 seats and the journey takes 20 minutes. The return flight was 375.350 COP.

The airport in Providencia is small and it looks like a tropical parade with the multi-colour passenger lobby looming over gardens of red hibiscus with birds moving lightly from one flower to the other.

• Luxury Travel

Getting Around in the Island

by mircaskirca Updated Jul 8, 2010

locals mostly travel by motorbike

The chiva (old artisan modified bus) is an easy way to navigate the island but not all the places can be reach by it. You can rent a car and drive around the island's 20km circuit of roads. Ask for car rental at the airport or in Aguadulce, the centre of island's tourist industry. A great way to explore off the beaten track is hiring a motorbike or scooter. There are various places in Aguadulce as well in the town of Santa Isabel, and it costs 50.000 COP for 24 hours. Golf buggies can be hired as well.

Taxis are expensive in Providencia (20.000 COP - January 2010) but they can take you pretty much everywhere. Colectivos (shared minibuses) can also be found at the airport. Moto taxi are very common since almost everybody here owns a motorbike. They are much cheaper. Hitchiking is also quite easy in Providencia.

For me, riding a motorbike - as a back seat passenger, of clourse ;) - was the most pleasant way to explore the island. Just loved it!

• Hiking and Walking
    • Motorcycle

Flight from Cali to San Andrés

by mircaskirca Written Jun 13, 2010

tile mural of the airport building in San Andr��s

There is no direct flight from Colombian mainland to Providencia. You have to get to San Andrés first. Two airlines have flights from Cali to San Andrés, Copa and Avianca. Most of the flights have a connection in Bogotá, and there is usually one direct flight daily with Copa (operated by AeroRepublica). I booked the direct flight. It was a night flight, with the departure from Cali at 21:50 and arrival to San Andrés at 23:45. It was 304.300 COP one way. Since it was the high season, only one day before the New Year, I booked almost three months in advance.

I needed a place to stay only overnight and to leave my big luggage for one week since early in the morning I already took a flight to Providencia. My Colombian friend recommended a posada to stay not far from the airport. I was lucky with the taxi driver, he seemed quite reliable. I also arranged with him for the next morning to pick me up at the posada and bring to the airport.

• Luxury Travel

Instant Answers: Isla de Providencia

Comments

Isla de Providencia Transportation

Reviews and photos of Isla de Providencia transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Isla de Providencia sightseeing.

View all Isla de Providencia hotels