Isla Española Transportation

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

Landing at Gardner Bay

by toonsarah Written Dec 22, 2012

Gardner Bay from the Angelito

Española is one of the more remote islands, and the crossing here from Santa Cruz took all night, but passed without incident as far as we were concerned. The swell was not too bad and neither of us felt any adverse effects. We awoke when the anchor went down off the white sand of Gardner Bay.

We landed twice on the island – well, in fact I landed here three times, if you count my arrival on the beach at the end of my snorkelling swim! Our first was in the morning, straight after breakfast – a wet landing on the soft sands of Gardner Bay. As this is an open site (no need for a guide) and as we weren’t going to leave the beach, we could land barefooted and stay that way throughout our visit – no need to carry any footwear unless we wanted to. It was lovely to enjoy feeling the sand between my toes and to wander into the waves whenever I felt like it!

So my first tip is all about our time on the sands of Gardner Bay.

• National/State Park
    • Eco-Tourism
    • Cruise

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

Landing at Punta Suarez

by toonsarah Written Dec 22, 2012

Seal lion pup on the jetty

While we ate our usual delicious lunch on board the Angelito that day, the boat was sailing around Española to the western tip of the island, Punta Suarez. Fabian allowed time for a “siesta” (which for me meant catching up with my journal as there was a lot to record after our interesting morning). But soon we were back in the pangas and heading back to explore more of Española.

This time there was a dry landing on to a short flight of stone steps, on which a large Galápagos sea lion was reclining, so we had to negotiate our way very carefully around her – she had got there first and this was her territory not ours! The steps led to a stone path laid over the rocky jetty, where several more sea lions and pups were relaxing, along with some Marine iguanas, and from there to the small beach where our afternoon visit was to start.

• Cruise
    • National/State Park
    • Eco-Tourism

Instant Answers: Isla Española

Comments

Isla Española Transportation

Reviews and photos of Isla Española transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Isla Española sightseeing.

View all Isla Española hotels