Isla Santa Cruz Warnings and Dangers

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Isla Santa Cruz

• MalenaN's Profile Photo

Yellow Paper Wasp

by MalenaN Written Apr 2, 2014

The Yellow Paper Wasp is an introduced wasp to Galapagos Islands. It was first recorded in 1988 and has since then become widespread, especially in coastal areas.

They are a real nuisance, they compete for food with the finches and they can sting humans. I have heard that there can be swarms of wasps at some places occasionally, and visitors can be told by guides not to wear bright, especially not yellow, colours at some places. When I was on my first cruise one of the passengers was stung once, but besides that nothing happened.

When I visited Galapagos Islands in 2013 I saw several yellow poison traps along the trail to Tortuga Bay. Inside there were dead Yellow Paper Wasps (photo 2 and 3).

• DennyP's Profile Photo

DONT SWIM HERE..LOTS OF SHARKS AND RAYS

by DennyP Written Nov 28, 2011
    HUNDREDS OF STINGRAYS BY THE WATERS EDGE.

I noticed that when I was standing by the waters edge how clear the water was. Also I noticed the huge amount of rays right by the waters edge...hundreds of them and not only that so many sharks zipping in and out close by the waters edge,..I wasn't sure if their were schools of small fish in the shallows that was promoting this exhibition , BUT, I certainly changed my mind about the water looking so inviting for a cool swim. I have since found out that there are lots of sharks in these waters especially north near Wolf- Darwin island where thousands of Hammerhead sharks congregate..amazing. I was quite happy to stay on the beach and watch the birdlife

• National/State Park
    • Hiking and Walking
    • Water Sports

Instant Answers: Isla Santa Cruz

Comments

Isla Santa Cruz Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Isla Santa Cruz warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Isla Santa Cruz sightseeing.

View all Isla Santa Cruz hotels