What to pack for Galápagos Islands

• DIGITAL CAMERA BATTERY CHARGER AND INT.POWERPOINT
    DIGITAL CAMERA BATTERY CHARGER AND...
    NECCESARY TOILETRIES THAT I ALWAYS CARRY
    A RELIABLE COMPACT PONCHO

Most Viewed What to Pack in Galápagos Islands

• cybergenic's Profile Photo

Some boats have electricity some don´t

by cybergenic Updated Dec 12, 2006

Luggage and bags: Medium sized weather proof backpack

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: board shorts, tshirts, waterproof sandals, walking shoes, sunglasses, wind cheater

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Sea sickness pills, lots of sun cream 30+ Toilet Paper, soap, good water proof bandages (not bandaids)

Photo Equipment: heaps of batteries especially if your digital. Some boats have 12V power and some have 110V The boat with 110V power outlets made recharging easy

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: Sun hat, torch, wetsuit

Miscellaneous: Take your own alcohol from Ecuador as it costs a bit more on the Islands and even more on the boat. The boat i was on was charging US$2 per small lite beer.
    There is a fairly well stocked bottle shop on the wharf where most of the tours depart from.

anyone seen my body?
    • Sailing and Boating
    • Cruise

• The water here is COOOOOOOLD!

by zoechance Written Sep 21, 2007

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: It's worth bringing your own snorkel gear whether you're snorkeling or diving. The gear on the ships (both cruise ships and dive ships) isn't warm enough for the Humboldt current and isn't stocked in enough sizes to take care of everyone. Bring a mask, booties, fins, a hood, and a warm dive shirt. If you want to bring a full wetsuit, bring 5mm for snorkeling or 7mm for diving. The water is coooooooold during the dry season, but you'll see more animals.

• Beaches

• ddbleu's Profile Photo

Footwear

by ddbleu Written Jul 9, 2009

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: I brought Keens which I really didn't need. They are heavy and I had to pack them around with me when I went on to Peru. For the wet landings, people took off their shoes and just waded to shore. It was smooth and sandy and people didn't want to wear wet Keens for the hike. The hiking trails on the islands are sandy and rocky so closed shoes are better. You just need thongs for on the boat, and a good pair of lightweight walking shoes like the Salomons that are shown in the photo.

The only two pair of shoes you need for the Galapa

• ddbleu's Profile Photo

Don't get seasick

by ddbleu Updated Jul 9, 2009

Luggage and bags: Backpack for day hikes

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Sun hat, thongs for the boat, lightweight hiking shoes. You really don't need Keens. We were there the end of May and first couple of days in June. Sunny and warm every day. Shorts or skorts, good sunglasses. Light jacket or sweatshirt. It never really got cold, even at night. We brought ponchos in case it rained but we didn't need them.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Bonine is a great over the counter med to prevent seasickness. I took it before I got on the boat, and every morning after. No side effects at all. The first couple of nights were really rough and I was glad I had taken it. Motrin/Advil for sore muscles - you will hike and swim a lot. If you like having a wash cloth, bring one because none of the hotels and boats have them. Cortisone cream is good to take along. We didn't have any problem with insects.

Photo Equipment: REI makes a reloadable underwater camera that takes 35mm film. I got a few good photos with it. It is about $15. Some people had underwater digital cameras but it's a pretty big expense. Also, make sure your digital camera has a really good telefoto. I took a Canon PowerShot SX110 and it was perfect. Charger for your camera batteries. They had electricity on the boat, same voltage as the U.S. No adapter needed.

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: Insulated water bottle, backpack, shortie wetsuit or rash guard. If you have your own mask, bring it. That way you know you'll have a good fit.

Miscellaneous: Alarm clock, breakfast is at 7 every morning. Cash, small bills come in handy. They use U.S. dollars throughout Ecuador.

• Hiking and Walking

• dreamkapture's Profile Photo

by dreamkapture Updated Aug 26, 2002

Luggage and bags: When packing for a trip to Ecuador and the Galapagos Islands pack lightly! The fewer things you bring the more carefree and enjoyable your trip will be. It's best to pack your clothes in two bags: one with warmer clothes and city clothes that can be left in your hotel in Quito, and a soft bag such as a duffle or sports bag (not a suitcase) for storage of your gear aboard the boat in Galapagos. You should be able to lock all your luggage regardless of where you are travelling

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Clothing Checklist
    o 2 pairs of walking shoes (one to keep dry, the other for wet landings)
    o 5 pair light cotton socks
    o 1 sweater for Andes

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: First-Aid

o Pepto Bismol (or Kaopectate) for stomach upset and mild diarrhea
    o Immodium or Lomotil for more severe diarrhea
    o Gravol or other motion sickness remedy
    o Band-Aids
    o Anti-biotic cream
    o Aloe Vera cream or gel for sunburn
    o Tylenol or other mild pain relief

Photo Equipment: Camera Gear
    o Lens Paper and Cleaner
    o Extra batteries
    o Extra Tapes
    o Extra film
    o X-Ray proof bag for film
    Waterproof bag for gear

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: Other Gear
    o Passport pouch
    o Money belt
    o Sunglasses
    o PABA sunscreen (at least #15)
    o Sun block
    o Spare pair of prescription glasses if you wear them
    o Water bottle (1 litre)
    o Flashlight with extra batteries
    o Toiletries
    o Shampoo
    o Insect repellant
    o Small day pack
    o Fanny pack
    o Stuff sacks to organize your gear
    o Lip salve or ointment
    o Binoculars

• lenoreva's Profile Photo

by lenoreva Updated Aug 25, 2002

Photo Equipment: Bring lots of film, as there are tons of great photo ops and film is expensive to buy there. A camera with a zoom lens will help you get better close up shots (like this one, of a blue footed booby and a sea lion hanging out together).

• Packing List

by JEH Written Aug 25, 2002

Luggage and bags: Pack lightly. For four of us, we brought just 2 suitcases for 8 days + the backpack for the baby. You may want a daypack to carry supplies when you are on day trips. It is a must to have your hands free when jumping on and off the pangas.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Most of all, bring comfortable shoes! There is a ton of walking on the islands during tours or even if you want to walk around Puerto Ayora for a meal. February is one of the hottest times of the year--high 80s, to be on the kind side.

Formalwear is not needed at all. Just bring what you will be comfortable in (shorts, t-shirts, etc.). You may want to bring a long sleeved shirt in case you get a bit sunburned and still want to walk around.

Make sure you bring a hat. The sun is very strong and there is very little shade on any of the islands.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Mosquito repellent! Suntan lotion!! Aloe Vera gel, if needed.
    You can buy a repellent called Detan in the local pharmacies, but go to the ones farther off the beaten path (down by the pier is a good one). There is a small shop next to La Garrapatta restaurant whose prices are also very reasonable.
    If you forgot to put the repellent on, try some menthol (like Vick's) on the mosquito bites. I don't know why, but it works on taking the itch out! They sell small tins for less than 50 cents.

Miscellaneous: If you are a birdwatcher, you may want your binoculars, but we brought ours and never used them. We used the zoom lens on our camera just to save space in our backpack for snacks, diapers, hats,etc.

• mslate's Profile Photo

by mslate Written Aug 25, 2002

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: If you want to shield the maximum skin from the tropical sun (as I did) take a pair of pants that zip off to shorts. These work well for wet landings (as shorts) and then long pant protection on shore.

Photo Equipment: Take more film than seems at all reasonable.

• Don't forget the bug spray!!

by winkd2 Written Apr 26, 2009

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Although you won't need it for all the islands, some beaches and trails do have annoyinh flies that bite...so bring the DEET!!! Also, remember to bring a high number SPF Sunscreen, since the sun is so strong. Reapply often.

Photo Equipment: An underwater camera is a great idea also!

Miscellaneous: Thanks! We just returned from the islands and had a fantastic trip on La Pinta. The ship and crew were amazing! The water was indeed warm enough to go into without wet suits and the wildlife was incredible.

• DennyP's Profile Photo

MAKE SURE YOUR CAMERA BATTERIES ARE FULLY CHARGED

by DennyP Updated Nov 4, 2011

Luggage and bags: I usually carry a little backpack that carries my camera gear and neccesary daily toilet items .
    Never be without bottled fresh water. OR
    A good reliable insect and mosquito repellant

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: A good pair of hiking boots/shoes is a must here as you will do a lot of walking and climbing.
    I ALWAYS carry with me a small compact poncho that can cover me and my small backpack, as rainstorms are so unpredictable in the tropics

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: I carry a small packet of wet ones mainly for the heat.
    A small packet of tissues in case you have to go.
    A tube of lip balm
    A tube of sunscreen
    A tube of moisturiser as the sun can be very severe here on the Equator
    A couple of band aid strips

Photo Equipment: When travelling through these Islands make sure that everynight to charge your digital camera batteries. that way, everyday when you set out you will be able to take full advantage of the photo opportunities that are on offer everywhere here that you look.
    I always carry an international powerpoint adaptor and a spare photo card

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: A good wide brimmed hat
    A good pair of sunglasses

Miscellaneous: ALWAYS carry a torch ..preferably one that is self charging so your batteries don't let you down..

DIGITAL CAMERA BATTERY CHARGER AND INT.POWERPOINT A RELIABLE INSECT AND MOSQUITOE REPELLANT & USE IT NECCESARY TOILETRIES THAT I ALWAYS CARRY A RELIABLE COMPACT PONCHO A SMALL RELIABLE TORCH
    • Photography

• miniexplorer's Profile Photo

Pack light

by miniexplorer Written Jul 6, 2013

Luggage and bags: Just one luggage is fine and one carry-on. But if you're carrying a DSLR camera just use your camera bag as your carry-on and put your documents/travel itinerary etc. The reason I'm saying this is because when you're hiking and walking from airport gate to gate and from boat to land it can get cumbersome.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Despite my initial thought that I'll be changing many shirts and shorts because of the hot and humid weather. I didn't. I would bring at least 7 shirts and just 2 or 3 pairs of shorts and 1 long pants. I don't recommend jeans. You'll be super hot. Even shorts, I'd go with khakis. Even better, if you have pants that can zip off at the knee to become shorts. Then you'll carry less. As for shoes, invest in "WATER SHOES" so helpful for the wet landings. This way your feet don't get hurt if there are sharp objects in the sand. Also a good rain jacket helps. Get one that can roll up.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Yeah, bring all your toiletries from home. Especially shampoo and body wash. Also bring small packs of tissue with you. Some public washrooms may not have toilet paper. Also, bring anti-histamines in case of any allergies to mosquitoes bites or new foods you might try. You should also consider bringing a small first aid kit, because some of the hikes are on lava rocks and you can get cut by accident or scraped.

Photo Equipment: DSLR or just a point and shoot is fine. If you don't mind carrying a tripod I would bring one too. Also, a good telephoto lens. Since some animals are far away.

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: I would bring 2 bathing suites so that you can wash one and wear one.

Miscellaneous: If you have your own snorkel gear I would bring it.

• Photography
    • Diving and Snorkeling

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Galapagos packing list

by Dabs Updated Jun 24, 2014

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: We traveled in late May which is the end of the rainy season, beginning of the cooler drier weather. I wore shorts every day and a short sleeved shirt, bring a couple of extras because you do get smelly and sweaty if off hiking. Most of the women on our boat wore tank tops but I preferred the short sleeves for a little more sun protection. In the evening, you may want to pack a pair of long pants and one long sleeved shirt or sweater in case it cools down or you want to sit up on deck

Shoes-a lot was made of wet landings but you can always pack your shoes in your backpack and put them on once on dry land. After my mishap on the lava, I'd never recommend open toed sandals, in fact most days I would have worn tennis shoes although people got a lot of use out of the closed toe Tevas and Keens

Raincoat? I packed one but didn't use it, even if it had rained, I wouldn't have put it on because of the heat. Rainy season, might be a good idea to have.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Our ship had a small 1st aid kit but if you think you'll need it bring it. That includes seasickness tablets or patches if you are prone to it, pain relievers, bandaids, antacids, Immodium and whatever else you routinely need. There's no place to buy it once you are on the ship.

Sunscreen, you are on the equator, the sun is blazing. Bring enough to reapply several times a day.

The less frilly the boat, the more likely you will need all of the toiletries you use at home, we had soap and shampoo in a wall dispenser

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Packing list part II

by Dabs Updated Jun 24, 2014

Luggage and bags: Bring a small daypack for hiking on the islands to carry water, hats, sunscreen, etc.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Hats-brought both a baseball cap and a hat that tied under my chin, used both

Insect repellent? We didn't need it but some people have reported having to use it.

Photo Equipment: I took about 1500 photos with my two cameras and had plenty of memory left but if you take a lot of photos, you will take A LOT here. A spare battery might also be useful if prone to excessive photo taking. I didn't need a converter, the plugs on the ship were the same as US plugs

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: While some of the people on our ship snorkeled without wetsuits, I liked wearing one mainly because of the extra sun protection for my back. If you don't own one, check with the ship and make sure they have them for use or rent. Some of the other people on board had swim shirts, long sleeved swimsuit material, I may see if I can find one before my next warm snorkeling trip

Mask and snorkel, I prefer to use my own, our ship had them at no extra charge

Galápagos Islands Hotels

Puerto Villamil, Isabela Galapagos Islands, , Ecuador

Satisfaction: Excellent

Good for: Solo

• Hostal Casa de Laura

Before coming to San Cristóbal I had read in my guidebook about Hostal Casa de Laura and it seemed...

Instant Answers: Galápagos Islands

• jmhultin's Profile Photo
    Mar 4, 2013 at 9:20 AM

A simple pointer - upon checking our bags for every flight in SA, the authorities sealed our checked baggage with a heavy plasitc band. When we arrived at our lodgings, those bands are difficult to remove, and any knives or scissors we carried were inside the suitcase. We finally learned to pack a knive in one of the outside zippered compartments of the suitcase.

Galápagos Islands What to Pack

Reviews and photos of Galápagos Islands what to pack posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Galápagos Islands sightseeing.
Map of Galápagos Islands