Puerto Ayora Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Puerto Ayora

Angermeyer Waterfront Inn – La Cueva de Gus

by MalenaN Updated Oct 29, 2014

Several late afternoons I have taken a water taxi over to Angermeyer Waterfront Inn to have a beer on their wooden deck by the harbour. I have really enjoyed sitting here relaxing after a day full of activities. It is a calm place that time of the day and you have a good view over the activity in Academy Bay. A large beer was $6 (July/August 2014).

There is a Yellow-crowned Night-heron which came to the deck several times. They call him Pepe. I have not eaten dinner here, but if you want to have a table by the water you need to reserve in advance.

The bar and restaurant at Angermeyer Waterfront Inn is called La Cueva de Gus after a German (Gus Angermeyer) who settled here in 1933. He constructed his home out of lava rocks and it looked very much like a cave.

Angermeyer Waterfront Inn - La Cueva de Gus View from Angermeyer Waterfront Inn Angermeyer Waterfront Inn - La Cueva de Gus Pepe on the table Angermeyer Waterfront Inn - La Cueva de Gus

Restaurant at the Fish Market

by MalenaN Written Oct 27, 2014

Most afternoons/early evenings you can eat fish from today’s catch at the fish market. Every time I have eaten hear they have told me they only have fish filet. I have seen other people eating complete fishes, but they sell out first. Anyway, I have always been happy with the fish filet. The fish takes up half the plate and is served with rice, plantains and some salad (mostly onions). The meal is $7 (July/August 2014).

Once I came here to eat they had no more fish left for the evening, and on my last day in Puerto Ayora when I wanted to eat here it was unfortunately closed. The first time I ate here all other customers seemed to be Ecuadorians, but the other times there has been a mix with several foreign tourists too.

Restaurant at Calle de Los Kioskos

by MalenaN Written Oct 11, 2014

Something I hadn’t seen on my two previous visits to Puerto Ayora was that they sold whole fish and lobster at several of the restaurants along Calle de Los Kioskos. They had the same big red fish (brujo) that is sold at the fish market and of course I wanted to try it. At the restaurant where I had stopped (I’m trying to find out the name of it) they only had very large fishes left, for $20 and $25. It was expensive but I really wanted to try it.

The fish was delicious and large enough for two persons. It was served with French fries, rice and salad. I also ordered a fresh orange juice. The glass was full and the woman serving said she could pour some out if I wanted to have ice. No, no, no, I prefer freshly squeezed orange juice as it is.
    The fish meal was $20 and the juice $3 (August 2014)

I liked this restaurant and the staff had been very friendly and the food good, so I returned another night and then had Pescado a la Plancha and an orange juice.
    Pascado a la Plancha was $8 and the juice $3.

Café Hernán

by MalenaN Written Oct 11, 2014

The last evening during my first visit I went to Hernán´s. I ate a creamy vegetable soup and a fruit salad, and drank an orange juice. With tax and service I paid $11.80 (July 2011). The food was good and the location too. Café Hernan is situated where Av Baltra meets Av Charles Binford, it is a busy corner and good spot for people watching. What I didn’t like was that they showed a football match on the TV and the sound was too loud.

This year I visited Café Hernán three times for dinner. The food was good and this is what I ate and paid (July/August 2014):
    Cheeseburger with French fries and orange juice $12.20
    Hawaii pizza (for 1-2 persons) and orange juice $14.65
    Pasta Calamari and orange juice $20

I have only been there at dinner time, but it is also open for breakfast and lunch.

Beer at Red Mangrove

by MalenaN Written Oct 11, 2014

At Red Mangrove Adventura Lodge there is a sushi restaurant. I didn’t come here to eat, but to drink a beer on the waterside deck one late afternoon. When I sat down there were no other costumers there but soon others arrived, and I think they were all hotel customers. I ordered a Pilsener beer, and as at Angermeyer Point, it was $5 for a beer without tax and service (August 2014), but to my surprise the size was different. At Red Mangrove you only get a small bottle of Pilsener beer for that price.

Walking around on the deck you will see marine iguanas and sea lions and the view over the bay and the boats anchored there is very nice. I prefer Angermeyer Point though.

Restaurant at Sol y Mar

by MalenaN Written Oct 11, 2014

Sol y Mar is an expensive hotel on the waterfront. They have a restaurant and bar by the water and I have eaten here once. It was a quiet evening and I got one of the tables just by the water. It was very dark at my table, while another table seemed to be in the spotlight.
    I ordered pasta with seafood and it was very good. To drink I ordered a naranjilla juice. While I waited for the food I got some garlic bread which was on the house. Drink and meal, including tax and service, was $23.01 (August 2014).

Il Giardino

by MalenaN Updated Sep 25, 2014

I arrived to Puerto Ayora in the morning with the speed boat from Villamil and checked in at hotel El Peregrino around 9 o'clock. They had just stopped serving breakfast for the day so I went to Il Giardino, which is situated just next door.
    I didn't want to have one of the big breakfasts in the menu but asked if I just could have bread, butter, juice (guanabana) and coffee, and that was okay. With IVA and service it was $5.80 (July 2011). Quite expensive for breakfast, but the coffee was the best I had tasted in Ecuador so far (very often week instant coffee is served) and I had a good view over people walking by on Av Charles Darwin.
    Their ice cream is also very good. A cup with two flavours was $1.80.

Il Giardino is a restaurant visited mostly by foreign tourist, not a place that I prefer, but they are good to visit sometimes.
    ______________________________________________________________________
    Update July 2013: The last evening in Puerto Ayora I came to Il Giardino again. I had already eaten a pizza slice but felt that I needed something more, but lighter. At Il Giardino I found shrimp salad with avocado on the menu and that sounded to be perfect. I didn’t feel well (I was eating both paracetamol and antibiotics) so I asked if I could order the salad to take away. That was absolutely okay. For the take away salad, including IVA tax and service I paid $8.54 (July 2013).
    ______________________________________________________________________
    Update August 2014: One evening I came here to eat dinner. I ordered pasta with seafood and an orange juice. While waiting I got three pieces of bread with different spreads on them. That was on the house and served to everyone ordering food. The pasta was good but expensive. Pasta and juice was $20.

The last evening in Puerto Ayora I wanted to eat at the Fish Market but unfortunately it was closed that day. Instead I went to Il Giardino which is situated nearby. I had never been on the upper floor and wanted to see how it looks like there, but just as I started to go up someone called at me “Excuse me, can I help you” (and not in a very nice way) and then he said that they don’t have any tables for one upstairs. So, I never got to see how it looks like upstairs. Well, I sat down at a table with good view over Av Charles Darwin and ordered food and a mango juice. The juice arrived and I sipped on it. After a while I realised it tasted awful and looking at it I saw that it had a brownish yellow colour, it was made of bad mangos. I got a new one! I had also got the three pieces of bread with different spreads that are on the house. Suddenly I got a plate in front of me with salad and calamari. I had not ordered that, but I was told it was on the house too. Maybe it was because of the juice, or maybe they had forgotten my order. People who had arrived later than me had already got their food. Finally the meal I had ordered arrived. It was lomo marinero, an expensive meal, but very good. Lomo Marinero and a mango juice (including tax and service) was $25.38

Breakfast at Il Giardino, Puerto Ayora Take away salad, Il Giardino, Puerto Ayora

Casa de Lago Café Cultural

by MalenaN Updated Sep 24, 2014

On my last day on Galapagos Islands (2011) I had a late lunch and then there was not enough time left of the afternoon to rent a bike or take another walk to Tortuga Bay, so I decided to find a café where I could sit down and read for a while. Casa de Lago Café Cultural was perfect for that. I only had a coffee and sat comfortably in an armchair and read for a while. The coffee was good and the atmosphere relaxed, and I liked the interior.

The coffee served at Casa de Lago Café Cultural is organic. Here you can also, among other things, have breakfast, soup, salad, bagels fruit salads, fruit juices and cakes.

When you are here you can also take the short walk down to Laguna de las Ninfas.
    ________________________________________________
    Update June 2013: I came back to Casa de Lago Cafe Cultural one afternoon when I needed to relax for a while after a bicycle tour, and it was still a very good place for that. I had a coffee and a brownie and it was $4.25.
    I came back another day and had hoped to have another brownie. Unfortunately they didn't have brownies at the moment so I ordered a maracuja 8passion fruit) cake, which actually tasted awful.
    Coffee, maracuja cake, a smoothie and a salad was $13.55
    Coffee, orange juice and a soup (crema mixta) was $8.25
    ___________________________________________________
    Update July/August 2014: Casa de Lago Café Cultura is still a lovely place and I came here a few times during my visit in 2014. The first time was for breakfast after I had arrived from Isla Isabela in the morning: The breakfast was $6 and it included a coffee, egg, bread, cheese, butter, jam and a juice. I also ordered an extra coffee and it was $1.25. Well, I think more coffee than a small cup should be included in a breakfast. I always need two cups in the morning.

Once I had a salad, batido (smoothie) and a large cappuccino and it was $12.80.

Once when I had some waiting time I came here to have a cup of coffee. It was cold and it didn’t taste good. I got a new cup which was lukewarm but it still didn’t taste good. If I don’t remember wrong their coffee machine was not working at the moment.

Casa de Lago Caf�� Cultural, Puerto Ayora Casa de Lago Caf�� Cultural, Puerto Ayora Casa de Lago Caf�� Cultural, Puerto Ayora Casa de Lago Caf�� Cultural, Puerto Ayora Casa de Lago Caf�� Cultural, Puerto Ayora

Rincón de Alma

by MalenaN Updated Sep 23, 2014

Rincón de Alma is a restaurant with a good location near the park, on Avenida Charles Darwin. Here you can sit at one of the outside tables and watch people go by. I decided to come here for lunch on my last day on Galapagos Islands, as I had seen, when I passed by earlier, that they had a good lunch offer. I came to the restaurant four minutes past two and were not allowed to have the lunch offer. I was told they stopped serving lunch at 14.00, but I could have anything from the menu. I did not want to buy something expensive from the menu and thought of leaving, but as I was very hungry and I had heard they serve very good ceviche I decided to stay and try the ceviche. I ordered Ceviche de Pescado (fish) for $8.50 (July 2011). The ceviche was served with a plate of banana chips, which were good. But I don’t know what I thought of when I, before tasting the ceviche, pressed all lime into the bowl. Ceviche has already got a lot of lime in it so it definitely became too much lime in it. Otherwise I think it was a good ceviche.
    ______________________________________________________________________
    Update June/July 2013: I ate lunch (almuerzo) several times at Rincon de Alma during my visit in 2013. The set lunch was $4 and it always tasted good. The lunch included a soup, a main dish and a juice.
    _______________________________________________________________________
    Update July/August 2014: Also this year I ate lunch at Rincon de Alma several times. The lunch menu was still $4, but this year they served strange drinks with the lunch. One was bright red and one was bright green. When I asked what it was I was told that it was gelatina. Well, I do prefer fruit juices.

Ceviche at Rinc��n de Alma Rincon de Alma, Puerto Ayora Rincon de Alma, Puerto Ayora Rincon de Alma, Puerto Ayora Rincon de Alma, Puerto Ayora

Descanso del Guia - Restaurant by the harbour

by MalenaN Updated Sep 23, 2014

Among the restaurants I ate at in Puerto Ayora (during my visit in 2011) I liked this one the best. It was busy at lunchtime and people shared tables. Service was good and there seemed to be several regulars there. The first time I ate here was while I waited for the speedboat to Isla Isabela, and I ordered lunch at the counter and also a mango juice (I didn’t think of that a drink could already be included with the lunch). I paid $4 (July 2011).
    Coming back from Isla Isabela I went here again to have lunch. Once again I went to the counter to order lunch and I was told they didn’t have ”lunch prices” on Sundays but a Plato Completo was $5. That was absolutely fine and I chose fish with rice and plantains. A grape fruit juice was also included in the price.
    ___________________________________________________________________
    Update 2013: The first day in Puerto Ayora I came here again to eat lunch. I asked for an almuerzo (set lunch), but they wanted to give me a menu. I asked for the almuerzo again and pointed at other tables were they were eating today´s lunch. Then I got the soup, main plate and juice (photo 4). The lunch was good, but I have not written down how much I paid.

I also ate here one evening. At that time they only served food from the menu. I ordered grilled chicken with rice and a juice. It was $11 (June 2013).
    ____________________________________________________________________
    Update 2014: The almuerzo (set lunch menu), which includes a soup, a main dish and a juice, was now 4.50.

Plato Completo Lunch and mango juice

Calle de los Kioskos

by MalenaN Updated Sep 23, 2014

Calle de los Kioskos is a part of Charles Binford where there are several small eateries with outside tables in the street in the evening. It was a busy Sunday evening when I ate here, with a mix of tourists (too many) and local families.
    I had shrimps in coconut sauce with rice to eat and it was $8 (July 2011). The same meal, but with fish instead of shrimps, was $6. The two meals together with four orange juices where $18.50. My meal didn’t taste very much and could have been better I think.
    ____________________________________________________________________
    Update July 2013: I went to eat in Calle de las Kioskos again and as it was quite early in the evening and not all places had opened jet I ended up at the same restaurant as two years previous. And I ended up ordering shrimps in coconut sauce again, even though I hadn’t been found of it last time. Well, I wasn’t this time either. I don’t know if it was because I didn’t have any appetite, but the sauce was not good at all and I ate very little of the food. To drink I had a passion fruit juice (maracuja). Food and juice was $11.50 (July 2013).
    ______________________________________________________________________
    Update 2014: I ate at Calle de los Kioskos a few times when I visited this year. Several of the restaurants offer meriendas (cheap dinner offers) and where I had the dinner offer it was $4. It included a juice, a soup (sopa de legumbres) and a main plate with s small fried fish (ojon frito) with lentils and rice.

Another day I ate a very expensive, but large meal. Something I hadn’t seen here before was restaurants with fresh whole fish and lobster on offer. Of course I wanted to try one of the big red fish (brujo) that I had seen at the fish market. There were only fish for $20 or $25 left, fish big enough for two people. It was served with French fries, rice and salad. An orange juice was $3. It all tasted very good.

One evening I had pascado a la plancha and an orange juice. It was $11.

Calle de los Kioskos, Puerto Ayora, Galapagos Calle de los Kioskos, Puerto Ayora Calle de los Kioskos, Puerto Ayora

Galapagos Deli

by MalenaN Updated Sep 22, 2014

Galapagos Deli is situated on the quiet street Tomas de Berlanga and it was just round the corner from my hotel. So, because the location was convenient and as they opened for breakfast early I had breakfast here almost all mornings while in Puerto Ayora, all mornings except one which was a Monday and then Galapagos Deli is closed.

The breakfast was $5 (July 2013) and it included coffee, a fruit juice, scrambled eggs with ham, bread, butter and jam. It was a good breakfast, but I would have preferred another kind of bread.

At Galapagos Deli they also have sandwiches, pizza, ice-cream, fruit juices and smoothies, cappuccino and more.

A batido de mango was $2.50 and a cafe Americano was $1.75.
    ________________________________________________________________________
    Update July/August 2014: The breakfast was now $6 (or was it $5.95). This year I didn't eat breakfast here because it was served at my hotel, and was included in the price. But I came here to drink a smoothie. A batido de maracuja was $3.

Restaurant Cevichería Guille

by MalenaN Updated Sep 22, 2014

After the second cruise with Cachalote (which I did in 2013) I was going on to Isla San Cristobal. After I had bought the ticket and left my luggage I went to look for a place to eat lunch in. Restaurant Cevichería Guille looked nice I decided to eat there. The restaurant is situated on the small quiet street, Av Opuntia, just behind Av Charles Darwin. There are outdoor tables, but nowhere to sit inside. Inside the open door is the kitchen, a kitchen very much looking like a family kitchen. I ordered Pascado a La Plancha and orange juice. The fish was served with plantains, tomatoes and some salad. It was a good meal and it was $8 (July 2013).
    ______________________________________________________________________
    Update July/August 2014: This restaurant was closed when I visited this year. The porch with the outdoor tables were not there anymore and door and windows were closed. I don't know if it was closed permanently or just temporary.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo

D’Mar y Cris (has now changed name)

by MalenaN Updated Sep 22, 2014

D’Mar and Cris is situated on Avenida Charles Darwin, next to Rincon de Alma (there is a small cevichería inbetween). I came here two evenings and ate the same at both occasions. I ordered fish, which was served with some potatoes and vegetables. To drink I had naranjilla juice once and a passion fruit juice (maracuja) the second time. While I waited for the food I got some popcorn. It all tasted very good and sitting at the outdoor tables I had a good view of people walking by.
    The meal and juice, including tax and service, was $16.63 (June/July 2013).
    ________________________________________________________________
    Update 2014: This restaurant has now changed name. I didn't eat here this year, but it seemed to be popular, and it still has a great location where you can sit and watch all people walk by on Av Charles Darwin.

Kale

by MalenaN Updated Sep 22, 2014

At lunchtime you can find several restaurants with cheap set lunch menus in Puerto Ayora, but in the evening it is more difficult to find a cheap place to eat in. Kale, which is situated on Islas Plazas, just off Av Charles Darwin has got fast food for a reasonable price. I ate here one evening and ordered chicken. I got two plates, one with rice and beans, and another with the chicken, potato, fried plantain and some salad. It was a filling meal and it was $6.50 (June 2013).
    Update July 2014: I ate here again and the price for the same meal is now $7.

Kale is down the road with with tables

Instant Answers: Puerto Ayora

Comments

Puerto Ayora Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Puerto Ayora restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Puerto Ayora sightseeing.