Puerto Baquerizo Moreno Things to Do

Best Rated Things to Do in Puerto Baquerizo Moreno

Cerro Las Tijeretas/Frigatebird Hill

by MalenaN Written Dec 10, 2013

Behind the Interpretation Centre a paved path that will take you up on Cerro Las Tijeretas start. It is well marked and there are even a few benches at some places. There are a few viewpoints with lovely views over the sea and bay below. At one of the viewpoints three is a statue of Charles Darwin.
    And around another viewpoint there were quite a few Frigatebirds in the trees. In the bay below there is good snorkeling from the rocks. I did not snorkel here but the water looked very clear and there were sea lions playing in the water.

From Cerro Las Tijeretas a path is leading down to Playa Punta Carola, and if you continue over the hill to the north you can walk to Playa Baquerizo.

Frigatebird Hill Charles Darwin, Frigatebird Hill Frigatebird Hill Frigatebird Hill
    • Birdwatching

Snorkeling tour to Isla Lobos and Kicker’s Rock

by MalenaN Written Dec 14, 2013

It was late Friday afternoon and I was on my way to the pier when I realised that I had to book a snorkeling tour to Kicker’s Rock for the next day, as I had signed up for a 10km race organised by the marine on Sunday morning.

I went into the first agency I saw (Galeducation) and they told me they were fully booked for Saturday but still had space on Sunday morning. I went to a couple of more agencies. At one they told me they were fully booked both on Saturday and Sunday, but they could put me on a waiting list for Sunday. I quickly went back to the first agency to book the snorkeling tour for Sunday (the race was starting as early as 7am and the tour at 9am).

The price of the tour was $80 (July 2013) and we were going to snorkel at Isla Lobos and at Kicker’s Rock (Leon Dormido). We were also going to visit the beach Playa Puerto Grande. The boat was Cindy Sol, a small boat and with eight tourists on board it was crowded. There was a tiny bathroom, but the toilet was not working. Lunch and snorkeling equipment (including wetsuit) was included in the price.

After the race I had run Sunday morning I was in a hurry to be at the agency at 9am. I had tried out the snorkeling equipment already the day before so it was ready. At the pier there were many boats leaving and we didn’t leave until it was almost 10am.

After 30 minutes we arrived to Isla Lobos, a small rocky island just off the coast of San Cristobal. Here the snorkeling is mostly over sandy bottom and you will probably see several playful Sea Lions around you, like I did. Along the rocky shore of Isla Lobos you will also see some colourful tropical fish. It was of course a pleasure to see all the playful sea lions, as always, but it was very cold (probably more cold because I didn’t feel well).

We then continued to Kicker’s Rock (Leon Dormido), known to be an excellent dive and snorkeling site, and the place I most of all wanted to visit during this tour. Unfortunately I had been freezing all the way from Isla Lobos so I asked the guide where it was best to go if I couldn’t stay in the water for a long time. The others didn’t seem to be very experienced snorkelers and had all stayed in a crowded around the guide at Isla Lobos (and did so at Kicker’s Rock too). I went straight for the narrow canal between the rocks. It is a beautiful place with vertical rocks down to the bottom on two sides. I saw some King Angelfish, other colourful tropical fish and a turtle, but the highlights were all the Galapagos Sharks (they were far away, close to the bottom though) and a large school of Porcupine Fish, so beautiful.

When everyone was back on board we headed for Playa Puerto Grande. I had thought we were going to eat lunch on the beach but we did that in the boat. Playa Puerto Grande is a small white sandy beach and it looked very inviting. I was not interested in swimming (as I was not feeling well and at this time probably had fever), but I wanted to stroll around, looking for birds and just admiring the landscape. Unfortunately the boat did not go very close to the shore (they said it was not possible, but I’m not sure) and the water was deeper than up to the waist. Everyone said that they wanted to go to the beach, but no one wanted to get completely wet again (up to the knees would have been fine). We never visited the beach and that was a big disappointment.

When I had asked around at the agencies for a tour they had at one agency told me that they are not allowed to visit two snorkel sites in one tour anymore, and I think that is good. We snorkeled at two sites and that made everyone very, very cold. And visiting both snorkeling sites was actually against the rules.

Kicker's Rock, Galapagos Islands Kicker's Rock - Leon Dormido Isla Lobos Kicker's Rock - Leon Dormido Playa Puerto Grande, San Cristobal
    • Diving and Snorkeling

Rent a bike

by MalenaN Written Dec 20, 2013

One day on San Cristobal I rented a bike from Patagonia Eco Multisport on Av Charles Darwin in Puerto Baquerizo Moreno to go to Puerto Chino, Galapagera and El Junco. The price in July 2013 was:
    1 hour - $6
    half a day (less than 6h) - $10
    full day (more than 6h) - $20

I left Puerto Baquerizo Moreno around 10 o’clock. The road was mostly going quite steep uphill, it is not paved and the first part was rather dusty. Closer to El Progreso it got misty and it started to drizzle. Because of the drizzle it felt quite cold in the highlands. Because the road was mostly going uphill the first half I sometimes walked with the bike. From Puerto Baquerizo Moreno they sometimes organize biking tours, but then they go with pick-up cars to the highlands, and only bike downhill.

Before leaving Puerto Baquerizo Moreno I had heard there was a restaurant where I could eat in the village Cerro Verde, so I planned to stay there on my way to Puerto Chino. When I found the restaurant it turned out they hadn’t got any food jet, but they were preparing for tourists who were coming later. I could order a meal to eat on my return from Puerto Chino and Galapagera. I did so, but as I was very hungry I got two bananas and juice (it is included in the meal) before I continued. Now it was mostly downhill the rest of the way to Puerto Chino.

I came back to Puerto Baquerizo Moreno around 17.00. As no one had written down when I rented the bike they charge me for half a day. To cycle across the southern part of Isla San Cristobal, over the highlands can be quite strenuous because it is mostly steep uphill and steep downhill. I have/will have tips about the places I visited; Puerto Chino, Galapaguera and El Junco on my Isla San Cristóbal travel page.

Parking at El Junco In the highlands of San Cristobal Cerro Verde, San Cristobal
    • Cycling

La Lobería – Barranco

by MalenaN Written Dec 14, 2013

Beyond the beach at La Lobería a path continues over the rocks to a viewpoint on the cliffs (Barranco). Along part of the trail there is no path but the trail goes over the lava rocks and it is there marked with small black and white sticks. I saw several Marine Iguanas here and they blend in very well with the surroundings, so be careful where you put your feet if you are walking here. There are also Lava Lizards along the trail.

At Barranco the waves crush in to the rocks below and along the cliff several seabirds are flying back and forth. At Barranco I saw Blue-footed Boobies, Swallow-tailed Gulls, Frigatebirds and Red-billed Tropicbirds. On the way back to the beach I also saw a Cattle Egret and a Smooth-billed Ani.

Barranco Marine Iguana Barranco, La Lober��a Swallow-tailed Gull, Galapagos
    • Birdwatching
    • Hiking and Walking

Playa Mann

by MalenaN Written Dec 7, 2013

Playa Mann is a small sandy beach about 1km north of the pier in Puerto Baquerizo Moreno. It is situated along the road to the Interpretation Centre and Cerro Las Tijeretas (Frigatebird Hill). At Playa Mann you can swim and snorkel near the beach, but waves can be quite large. On the beach there are sea lions. When I passed the first time, just after lunchtime, the beach was quiet, but when I returned from Frigatebird Hill a few hours later it was full of activities on the beach.

Playa Mann, Isla San Cristobal Playa Mann, Isla San Cristobal Playa Mann, Isla San Cristobal Puerto Baquerizo Moreno, Galapagos Islands Playa Mann, Isla San Cristobal
    • Surfing

La Lobería

by MalenaN Written Dec 15, 2013

La Lobería is a beach a few kilometers south of Puerto Baquerizo Moreno. There is both black lava rocks and white sand at La Lobería. In the water you can snorkel and swim, and often La Lobería is a good place for surfing as well. On the beach there is a sea lion colony and around the shore you might see brown pelicans and other sea birds. The vegetation in the area consists of sesuvium, morning glories, salt bush, mangroves, yellow grieger (Cordia lutes) and palo verde.

You can continue past La Lobería along a rocky trail to a viewpoint above the cliffs. Along that trail you will probably see marine iguanas, lava lizards and several seabirds.

La Lober��a, San Cristobal La Lober��a, San Cristobal La Lober��a, San Cristobal La Lober��a, San Cristobal La Lober��a, San Cristobal
    • Hiking and Walking

Interpretation Centre

by MalenaN Written Dec 11, 2013

On the north edge of Puerto Baquerizo Moreno there is an Iterpretation Centre. Here you can read about the geology of Galapagos Islands, how the islands where created. There is also information about the flora and fauna, and the human history of the islands. Arial photos show that about 50 years ago there were only a few houses where the four towns of Galapagos are today.

The Interpretation centre is open 8 – 18 daily. There is no admission.

Interpretation Centre, San Cristobal Interpretation Centre, San Cristobal Interpretation Centre, San Cristobal Interpretation Centre, San Cristobal Interpretation Centre, San Cristobal

Playa Punta Carola

by MalenaN Updated Dec 7, 2013

From Cerro Las Tijeretas I took a path down to Playa Punta Carola (you can also come here from Puerto Baquerizo Moreno by following a path along the coast). Playa Punta Carola is a nice white sandy beach where there is a sea lion colony. While I visited a male was showing off himself.

At the rocky point at the end of the beach there is a small lighthouse.

It is a nice place to come to observe the sea lions, watch some birds and the ocean. You can also swim and snorkel here.

Playa Punta Carola Playa Punta Carola, San Cristobal Playa Punta Carola, Isla San Crist��bal Punta Carola, San Cristobal, Galapagos Islands

Instant Answers: Puerto Baquerizo Moreno

Comments

Puerto Baquerizo Moreno Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Puerto Baquerizo Moreno things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Puerto Baquerizo Moreno sightseeing.

View all Puerto Baquerizo Moreno hotels