Latacunga Shopping

• MalenaN's Profile Photo

Supermarkets

by MalenaN Updated Aug 31, 2012

Church of Santo Domingo, Latacunga

There is a big supermarket on Amazonas (between Guayaquil and Salcedo) where you can buy basically everything. I came here several times while in Latacunga, but when I was going to buy supplies for the Cotopaxi climb I couldn’t find energy bars or a good mix of nuts that I wanted. I remember seeing another big supermarket on the other side of the river, near Avenida 5 de Junio, so I walked there instead. At this supermarket I found a big variety of granola bars and a bag with mixed nuts and dried fruits that was perfect to bring to Cotopaxi. While I was there I also bought batteries for my head torch, chocolate and Gatorade to drink on Cotopaxi.
    ____________________________________________
    Update 2012: The supermarket on Amazonas is called Santa Maria. Also this year I found good energy bars here that I bought to bring on hikes.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

Mercado Central: pick your fruits wisely

by richiecdisc Updated Feb 7, 2008

the mercado central is full of locals

Latacunga's market is one of Ecuador's most authentic. In fact, there are few tourists shopping here. It's colorful and blessed with a nice setting amongst the provinces stunning mountains. It's a place where locals come to buy their necessities as well as have something to eat.

What to buy: Don't expect a lot of fancy crafts or typical tourist ponchos. They sell what they know locals will buy so you'll see plenty of jeans and CD/DVDs. There is also a huge selection of produce.

What to pay: Be careful what you choose fruit-wise as things out of season or not grown locally can be more expensive than you planned. We bought some delicious if somewhat expensive cherimoyas.

Instant Answers: Latacunga

Comments

Latacunga Shopping

Reviews and photos of Latacunga shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Latacunga sightseeing.