Local traditions and culture in Provincia de Imbabura

Most Viewed Local Customs in Provincia de Imbabura

Queso de Hoja

by b1bob Written Nov 20, 2007

The area around Cayambe is noted for its dairy products including its cheeses. It is called by many American tourists the Wisconsin of Ecuador. I tried the queso de hoja (leaf cheese). I wasn't keen on it because it was a rather bland cheese and I like bolder flavours.

queso de hoja

Tree Tomatoes

by b1bob Written Nov 20, 2007

At the Café de Cayambe, they offered me a tomato juice, but they told me it was sweet. I was mentally prepared for the savoury tomato juice to which I am accustomed. They explained later that it was a "tomate del árbol" (tree tomato) which is an entirely different thing. It was sweet and it tasted like nothing I had before. An hour later at the Otavalo Market, street vendors had these tree tomatoes on display. Sadly, due to the difficulty of transporting them, they are not available in the United States.

tree tomatoes tree tomato juice

Cuy

by b1bob Written Nov 19, 2007

Well, I finally did it, folks- I tried the "cuy" (guinea pig, for those from Roxboro). I want to thank Fernando for telling me about this delicacy. I must admit that even on the eve of my trip to here, I was somewhat ambivalent to try it, but I seized the opportunity at La Choza Restaurant in Chalturas two days into my trip. Don't get cuy downtown because you'll pay $15 per cuy, double what we paid in the countryside. Sergio's and Christina's daughter Thea loves animals and she was mortified that we would eat guinea pig in front of her. It was fried such that there was little evidence of its former self. There was so much breading that it dominated the meat which, honestly, to me, tastes like chicken. Now I have a new problem: I like cuy and there are very few places I can get it in the United States.

fried guinea pig: finger lickin' good

Woodworking

by b1bob Written Nov 19, 2007

Hand-carved woodwork is very common in northern Ecuador. There are many shops, particularly in the village of San Antonio (no, there is not a little Alamo here) that feature nothing but this type of craftsmanship of all shapes and sizes. Local craftsmen also do leather work in northern Ecuador.

hand-carved woodwork: San Antonio de Ibarra

Cotacachi Imbabura, Cotacachi, EC

Satisfaction: Excellent

Good for: Business

• Cusin

The Hacienda Cusin is just outside Otavalo, at the foot of the Imbabura Volcano. It was built in...

Top Provincia de Imbabura Hotels

9 Reviews - 22 Photos
Cotacachi Hotels
2 Reviews - 12 Photos

Instant Answers: Provincia de Imbabura

Comments

Provincia de Imbabura Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Provincia de Imbabura local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Provincia de Imbabura sightseeing.
Map of Provincia de Imbabura