• Queso de Hoja

The area around Cayambe is noted for its dairy products including its cheeses. It is called by many American tourists the Wisconsin of Ecuador. I tried the queso de hoja (leaf cheese). I wasn't keen on it because it was a rather bland cheese and I like bolder flavours.

• Tree Tomatoes

At the Café de Cayambe, they offered me a tomato juice, but they told me it was sweet. I was mentally prepared for the savoury tomato juice to which I am accustomed. They explained later that it was a "tomate del árbol" (tree tomato) which is an entirely different thing. It was sweet and it tasted like nothing I had before. An hour later at the...

• Cuy

Well, I finally did it, folks- I tried the "cuy" (guinea pig, for those from Roxboro). I want to thank Fernando for telling me about this delicacy. I must admit that even on the eve of my trip to here, I was somewhat ambivalent to try it, but I seized the opportunity at La Choza Restaurant in Chalturas two days into my trip. Don't get cuy downtown...

• Woodworking

Hand-carved woodwork is very common in northern Ecuador. There are many shops, particularly in the village of San Antonio (no, there is not a little Alamo here) that feature nothing but this type of craftsmanship of all shapes and sizes. Local craftsmen also do leather work in northern Ecuador.

• Ask a Question

Got a question about Provincia de Imbabura? Get an answer from our Location locals and frequent travelers

Have you been to Provincia de Imbabura? Write about Provincia de Imbabura to help travelers.

Provincia de Imbabura Hotels

2 Reviews - 38 Photos
Cotacachi Hotels
2 Reviews - 12 Photos

Instant Answers: Provincia de Imbabura

Comments

Provincia de Imbabura Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Provincia de Imbabura local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Provincia de Imbabura sightseeing.
Map of Provincia de Imbabura