Otavalo Restaurants

Selling fruit salads in Otavalo
    Llapingahos de Otavalito

Most Recent Restaurants in Otavalo

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

Buena Vista: Excellent juices, and a view to go with them

by toonsarah Written Jan 23, 2013

In need of refreshment and a sit-down after an hour or so of wandering around the market, we looked for somewhere where we might also get a view of the action, and found it at the Buena Vista, which lived up to its name! We climbed the stairs to the first floor room which is quite cosy – lots of wood, a small library of travel guides to browse, and bright cushions on the chairs. We secured a table near the window (there was just one other small group of people here at the time, though a couple more arrived before we left) and were pleased to find a good list of fresh juices on the menu, as by then we had already realised that no other cold drink came close to these for taste and refreshment in Ecuador! Chris chose orange juice (at $1.50) and I had passion-fruit ($1.25), and both were delicious and served in large glasses. As we drank we were able to step out onto the tiny balcony and take some photos of the market from above and all the activity going on beneath us. Just the break from browsing and shopping that we had needed!

Market from above Spotted from the balcony

Mi Otavalito

by MalenaN Written Nov 29, 2011

Before going back to Quito I decided to have lunch and went to the restaurant Mi Otavalito. There I ordered the traditional plate Llapingachos de Otavalito. Llapingachos are fried, mashed potato patties with a cheese filling. Other things on the plate were avocado, a salad of tomatoes and onion, some kind of meat, fried eggs and mote (boiled white corn). I ate a lot, but it was a very big portion so I couldn’t finish it all, even if it tasted very good. For the meal I paid $9 (June 2011). I guess that also included something to drink, but I can’t remember what, and I can’t see the glass in the photo.

The restaurant seems to be popular and more and more people arrived to have lunch. Just before I left some musicians also arrived and played their music by the entrance.

Llapingahos de Otavalito

• MalenaN's Profile Photo

Fruit salads at the market

by MalenaN Written Nov 28, 2011

I saw a women and her daughter that were selling fruit salads at the market and the fruit salads in the big mugs they had on the table in front of them looked very yummy, so I bought one for $1 (June 2011). It was a mix of watermelon, mango, papaya and pineapple in the mug and the fresh tropical fruits of course tasted very well.

When I had paid I asked if I could take a photo. The woman said yes, picked up the tray with the colourful fruit salads (which I would have liked to have in the photo too) and walked away to sell them.

Selling fruit salads in Otavalo

• MalenaN's Profile Photo

Food stands at the bus terminal

by MalenaN Written Nov 27, 2011

I had not bought a lot to eat at Carcelen in Quito and was still hungry when I arrived in Otavalo. The first thing I saw at the terminal was that there were several food stands on the south eastern side. I went over to Papitas de Doña Carmita and bought some chicken and French fries in a small bag. It was very greasy, but tasted good. For the chicken and French fries I paid $1 (June 2011).

This was only my third day in Ecaudor and maybe it was to early to buy food from the street. I was sick the whole following night Maybe it wasn’t the chicken and French fries. It could also be the fruits I bought in a mug at the market or the big lunch I had later at an restaurant that caused the illness. Anyway, I never got sick again in Ecuador from the food.

Yamor: Yamor

by malianrob Updated Aug 29, 2010

Traditional food from this region of Ecuador.
    My cousins that live in Otavalo brought me to this place and it was delicious. I wanted traditional food and they said this is the best place for traditional food. We had fritada which is fried meat, llapingachos which is a fried potato like pancake with cheese, mote which is hominy and we had empanads with sweet platain inside. The empanadas were the best I had ever had. We also had chicha which is a traditional andean drink.

Favorite Dish: Everything was delicious. Cant wait to go back.

• swesn's Profile Photo

MERCADO 24 DE MAYO: LOCAL MARKET

by swesn Updated Dec 24, 2007

I normally take a peek at the local market to see if there is anything interesting.

The Mercado 24 de Mayo has a section where they serve lunch for about US$1 with rice, a piece of meat and some salad. There are many stalls to choose from, but I reckon they are all more or less the same. I supposed just follow the locals and join them at the most popular one. The food is not fantastic, but it is filling and very cheap indeed.

Cafeteria S.I.S.A.: More good Food

by malianrob Written Feb 18, 2007

The first time I came here it was before the dollarization. I had soup and salad, main entre (filet mignon) a few drinks and then a desert for less than $2. I dont know what the price is now (after the dollarization) but I did see the place still here.
    What i also liked about this restaurant was the traditional live music as we ate.
    The service was great. The place was clean and inviting.

La Cocina de Alberto: Simple good food

by malianrob Written Feb 18, 2007

We stumbled into this restaurant be accident. We came to Otavalio to visit my aunt and uncle and to attend a wedding. The bride was very late and we were starving. We found this little restaurant next to the church and decided to lunch lunch as we waited for the bride to show up.

Favorite Dish: I had my usual churrasco. And Rob had a shromp plate. The food was very good. Nothing fancy about this place but the food was delicious.

• tejanasueca's Profile Photo

Pizza Siciliana: Family Owned Pizzeria with Live Music

by tejanasueca Updated Jul 29, 2004

This is a family owned pizzeria with great service and Friday and Saturaday night they have a local band (i.e. traditional indgenous music) playing. These guys are great!!! I still listen to the CD I bought from them all the time...

Favorite Dish: Well...pizza maybe!

• Music
    • Study Abroad

Aya Huma: Opposite the hostel

by filipdebont Updated Jan 12, 2004

This is a very cosy restaurant. On Saturday evening there was life music, a local band played (local) music and kids were dressed up to dance.

The food was delicious, and there was a hot welcome drink.

In the morning there was a breakfast buffet.

Favorite Dish: To start a Cuba libre (coke with rum and lemon)

Mixed grill, different kinds of meat on grill

Chocolate mouse for dessert

Not good for the calories, but . . . . It is holiday.

PS : they also serve delicious pancakes (Dutch style)

Aya Huma restaurant

• filipdebont's Profile Photo

Food stall at the animal market: Pork

by filipdebont Updated Jan 3, 2004

There was a big variety on food stalls at the animal market, in the previous tip, I showed you the roasted chicken, and well this food stall was selling pork.
    And to prove that it was really pork, well they posted the head on the dish. The meat looked ok (sorry, I did not try it).

pork at the market

• filipdebont's Profile Photo

Food stall at the animal market: Great smell

by filipdebont Written Jan 3, 2004

Well while we were visiting the animal market, suddenly we smelled something delicious.

In one of the food stalls there were preparing a local dish, something with meat, eggs and I do not know what the white things in the middle were. But Oh yes this smelled very good.

Unfortunately for the lady cook, it was really too early in the morning to try to eat this. I must admit that I am not really a big eater early in the morning.

This smelled really good . . .

food stall at the animal market: Roasted Chicken

by filipdebont Written Jan 2, 2004

At the animal market, there were several food stalls.

This food stall was serving roasted chicken. It looked ok.

But we did not try it, as I am not such a big eater early in the morning; to be honest I have never eaten roasted chicken at 8 o'clock in the morning.
    And I am not so sure if eating at these food stalls is very clever, with our sensible western stomachs.

food stall at the animal market

• mayadoc's Profile Photo

Mi Otavalito: Nice Ecuadorian restaurant

by mayadoc Written Apr 17, 2005

This is a nice ecuadorian ambiented restaurant. Food is good, attention is excellent and prices are OK. See the waitresses dressed in a regional costume.

Mi Otavalito

Instant Answers: Otavalo

Comments

Otavalo Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Otavalo restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Otavalo sightseeing.