Bahía de Caráquez Transportation

Best Rated Transportation in Bahía de Caráquez

To Isla Corazon and back

by MalenaN Updated Oct 5, 2012

Ferry in Bahia de Caraquez

I had planned to take the ferry and bus to Isla Corazon, but when I arrived to the pier a boat just left. I waited for a while but as no other passengers arrived I decided to take a taxi instead. The first taxi driver I asked wanted to have $8 and the second one wanted to have $7. Even though I suspected that $7 was too much I accepted it. At Isla Corazon (the comunity Puerto Portovelo) they told me that a taxi ride from Bahía should be $6 (June 2012).

Going back to Bahía I took the bus. There are buses passing by on the road above the village and they are going to San Vicente. The bus was $0.50. In San Vicente I went to the pier to take a boat over to Bahía. There were already three passengers waiting in the boat, and when I arrived they wanted to leave. Apparently the ticket is $0.50 per person if there are four passengers and $0.30 if there are more.

It is 8 km between Bahía and Isla Corazon.

From Bahía de Caraquez to Puerto Lopez

by MalenaN Written Oct 15, 2012

Bahia de Caraquez, Ecuador

After a few days of resting in Bahía it was time for me to travel on. I was a bit worried how it was going to go as I had to change buses and I had recently had an operation and could not use my left arm and hand.

Louise from Hostal Coco Bongo helped me with the luggage to a taxi which was standing a block away. The taxi ride to the bus terminal was $1.50 (July 2012). A bus from the company Reina del Camino with destination Guayaquil was just going to leave the terminal when I arrived. It stopped and the bus attendant took my big backpack and put it in the compartment below the bus, as no big bags were allowed inside the bus. To Jipijapa, where I was going to change buses, it took 3 hours and the ticket was $4.

With the big backpack over my right shoulder and the small backpack in my hand I went to the ticket booth to buy a ticket for Puerto Lopez. While taking up money and paying I had to put the bag on the floor, something I don’t like when there are many people around at a bus station. The ticket to Puerto Lopez was $1.50 and the bus ride took almost $1.50. In the bus I had the big backpack between my legs and the small backpack on my lap, trying not to touch my left hand with it as that hurt too much.

In Puerto Lopez I decided to take a moto for $0.50 to Hostal Maxima, even if it was not far to walk. I didn’t have a reservation and they only had rooms with shared bathrooms left, so I had to take a walk with the luggage anyway and went to Hotel Pacifico.

From Quito to Bahía and on to Canoa

by MalenaN Written Sep 23, 2012

Bahia de Caraquez

There is a night bus from Quito to Canoa and it is said to take only 6 hours. Well, I don’t like to travel by night buses as I can’t sleep on buses and I also want to see the landscape. Reina del Camino has got a day bus to Bahía, which is close to Canoa, and there is also a night bus to Bahía. Unfortunately the day bus doesn’t leave until midday, which means it arrives in Bahía at 20.00, as the journey takes 8 hours.

I bought the ticket at Reina del Camino’s terminal in Quito the day before departure. It is situated near the northwestern corner of Parque El Ejido, on 18 Septiembre and Larrea. You will need an id when you buy the ticket and luckily the copy of my passport was enough. The bus ticket to Bahía was $10 (June 2012).

No big bags are allowed inside the bus, but must be put in the compartment below. The luggage of people going to Bahía was put in one compartment and the luggage of people going elsewhere in another compartment. You will get a tag and when you arrive at the destination it is checked to match the one on your bag before you get it. The bus doesn’t stop to pick up passengers along the road, but only makes a few stops to let people off. About halfway, just after El Carmen, the bus stopped for half an hour at a cantina. I bought fish, rice and spaghetti and the meal was $2.50. It was quite cold in the bus.

The bus arrived in time in Bahía, at 20.00. At Amalur in Canoa they had said there was no bus from Bahía to Canoa this late so I had arranged with them to pick me up in Bahía for $10. Two German guys arriving with the same bus where also going to Canoa so we shared the price of the transport to Canoa. While we were waiting for our luggage a bus was ready to leave and from it a man shouted Canoa, Canoa. Apparently there was a bus, but maybe it is not every day they leave that late, or maybe they have recently decided to wait for the bus arriving from Quito. Well, it was convenient to take the bags to a car and the drive to Canoa took another 35-45minutes.

There is now a bridge between Bahía and San Vicente, which makes the journey from Bahía to Canoa faster than it used to be.

• retired_poppi's Profile Photo

Ferry to San Vincente

by retired_poppi Written Jan 17, 2007

Panga between Biaha and San Vincente

There is a passenger ferry between Biaha and San Vincente. A panga departs whenever there are 20 passengers, usually within 5 minutes. Many of these open launches (with sun and spray shields) are in operation continuously. In January, 2007, the fare was US $0.30. Passengers are issued life jackets for the 10 minute trip.

There is a larger ferry which transports trucks and automobiles and pedestrains. It departs twice an hour.

• retired_poppi's Profile Photo

Bus from Guayaquil

by retired_poppi Updated Jan 19, 2007

There is bus service to Biaha from Quito and other cities, but I can only supply first had knowledge of the bus between Guayaquil and Biaha. Two bus companies service this route.

Coctour runs buses about every hour. We departed from Guayaquil at 9 AM and arrived in Biaha at about 2 PM. This ordinary bus was full, and the driver stopped frequently to load or drop passengers. There was a lunch stop in Portoverta. The fare was US$ 6 per person

Reina del Camino runs three first class busses per day. We have reserved seats for a 2:30 PM departure next week. The bus appears to be airconditioned. The fare was US$ 7 per person.

• patnoelle's Profile Photo

Traveling the Coast

by patnoelle Updated Feb 28, 2007

Bus driver

If you are traveling by bus along the Ecuatorian Coast, take the ferry from San Vicente to Bahia de Caraquez it will shorten your trip by a couple of hours.

Instant Answers: Bahía de Caráquez

Comments

Bahía de Caráquez Transportation

Reviews and photos of Bahía de Caráquez transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Bahía de Caráquez sightseeing.

View all Bahía de Caráquez hotels