Isla Corazon Travel Guide

Puerto Portovelo

Isla Corazon Things to Do

Isla Corazon, Ecuador 4 more images

by MalenaN Written Oct 14, 2012

As I arrived in Puerto Portovelo I registered and paid $15 (July 2012) for the tour. I know that two people who visited earlier that week had paid $10 each, just being two on the tour, so I thought I was going alone with a guide, but before we left a group of Americans arrived and when it was time for the tour we left in two boats. As the guide spoke Spanish two of the Americans translated for the others so it was not as quiet as it could have been. When returning to Puerto Portovelo I heard that a man leaving for a tour alone with a guide was paying $20.

After I had registered and paid for the tour I waited for a while, as we waited for high tide. I also saw a video about the community and their work around Isla Corazon.

First we went by boat along the coast of Isla Corazon to the colony of Frigatebirds. It is incredible how many Frigatebirds there were, flying in the sky or sitting high in the mangroves. Many of the Frigatbirds in the mangroves were males with huge red inflated chest pouches.

Then we changed to a canoe and went across the island in a tunnel of Mangroves. Here there were many crabs, but my photos of them are all very blurry. This part of the tour, going in the canou in the tunnel of Mangroves, can only be done during high tide.

On the island there is also a boardwalk but it was closed for restoration when I visited.

Next to the visitor centre in Puerto Portovelo there are a few simple cabañas. It cost $5 to stay there (July 2012). I can imagine it is a very calm and relaxed place to stay in for a night or two.

• Eco-Tourism
    • Birdwatching

Brown Pelican, Isla Corazon 4 more images

by MalenaN Written Oct 10, 2012

On Isla Corazon you can see one of the largest colonies of Frigatebirds in South America. It is the Magnificent Frigatebird that can be seen here, but I must say I’m a bit confused. The previous year when I visited Galapagos Islands I learned that the male Magnificent Frigatebird has a purple sheen on their back, while the male of the Great Frigatebird has a green sheen on the back. The birds I saw on Isla Corazon had a green sheen on the mantle feathers, but the guide said it was Magnificent Frigatbirds and that is also what I have read on Internet.

More than 60 different bird species have been recorded at Isla Corazon and besides all the Frigatebirds we saw:
    Garceta Nieva – Snowy Egret
    Garza Nocturna Coroninegra (juvenile) – Black-crowned Night Heron (juvenile)
    Garza Nocturna Cangejera

0 Hotels in Isla Corazon

Isla Corazon Restaurants

Isla Corazon, Ecuador 4 more images

by MalenaN Written Oct 5, 2012

Arriving to Puerto Portovelo for the tour to Isla Corazon I asked if it was possible to eat lunch in the restaurant after the tour. It was if they knew of it beforehand, so I said I wanted to eat when I came back. Back after the tour I got a fruit juice, a soup and a plate with rice, chicken (a few small pieces) and plantains. The lunch was $2 (July 2012). For me it was very good to get the lunch as it was lunchtime, and I didn’t want to wait until I came back to Bahía.

Isla Corazon Transportation

Waiting for the bus 4 more images

by MalenaN Updated Oct 5, 2012

From Bahía I had planned to take the ferry and bus to Isla Corazon, but when I arrived to the pier a boat just left. I waited for a while but as no other passengers arrived I decided to take a taxi instead. The first taxi driver I asked wanted to have $8 and the second one wanted to have $7. Even though I suspected that $7 was too much I accepted it. At Isla Corazon(the community Puerto Portovelo) they told me that a taxi ride from Bahía should be $6 (June 2012).

Going back to Bahía I took the bus. There are buses passing by on the road above the village and they are going to San Vicente. The bus was $0.50. In San Vicente I went to the pier to take a boat over to Bahía. There were already three passengers waiting in the boat, and when I arrived they wanted to leave. Apparently the ticket is $0.50 per person if there are four passengers and $0.30 if there are more.

It is 8 km between Bahía and Isla Corazon.

Instant Answers: Isla Corazon

• OscarO's Profile Photo
    Jul 19, 2013 at 12:33 PM

la visita a la isla corazon fue excelente me gusto el paseo en canoa por dentro de los manglares, como la marea estaba alta al maximo, tuvimos que agachar la cabeza al momento de pasar por algunos tuneles de manglar. la observacion de aves es impresionante y los guias turisticos son bien especializados y dan mucha informacion.

Isla Corazon Travel Guide