Unique Places in Provincia de Napo

Most Viewed Off The Beaten Path in Provincia de Napo

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

jamming in the jungle

by richiecdisc Updated Apr 11, 2008

Though I was kind of dreading it one of the most fun excursions from the lodge was visiting our native guide's home. I sometimes find these encounters a bit forced and I almost wanted to just hang around the lodge that day as we'd had a busy morning. But my wife was intrigued so I went along to be a good sport. Besides it is all included so may as well get your money's worth, right? Well, I was glad I did.

First, we went by canoe and it was another chance to get out on the water-my favorite part of the jungle. Once we got there it was obvious from the start they were honestly happy to see us. The house was on stilts with a thatched roof. It couldn't have been more authentic jungle. There were hordes of kids scampering about and as it turned out, most of them our guide's! He had 14 and I don't think he was past his early 40s. At any rate, we sat around and observed a bit of a party going on with lots of plates of food being passed around. We got to try some local fish and the sourish alcoholic beverage made from a local root.

The best part was when my wife persuaded me to play Frisbee with the kids who were already throwing it around. I used to be very adept at it but it had been years since I even picked one up. In no time though I was doing some old tricks and the kids were mesmerized. They'd never seen anything like it and immediately tried to mimic me. Our guide's oldest son was quite good and particularly seemed to enjoy playing with someone who could show him a thing or two. What impressed me more than their physical prowess was their manners. When an elderly woman entered the area and headed towards the house they stopped throwing the Frisbee and waited for her to be in the house. I know if we'd have been in the States some kid would have hit the poor old thing even if by accident!

• Farm Stay

3 Reviews - 12 Photos
Baeza Hotels
4 Reviews - 43 Photos

Instant Answers: Provincia de Napo

Comments

Provincia de Napo Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Provincia de Napo off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Provincia de Napo sightseeing.
Map of Provincia de Napo