Sani Lodge Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Sani Lodge

• MalenaN's Profile Photo

Food at the community

by MalenaN Written Jan 13, 2013

Women preparing food at the Sani community

The day we were going to the Sani community we had had lunch already at 12 and after walking around in the community we got a second lunch prepared for us by the women’s cooperative. It was a delicious meal that they set up for us on big leaves on the floor. The fish from the river was prepared in banana leaves with palm heart. Yummy! Then there were also sweet banana, plantain, yucca, sweet potatoes, white cacao and grilled and steamed larvae. I tasted everything, including the larvae. In fact I ate two fat grilled larvae and one steamed larva. They didn’t taste like anything else I had eaten, and they didn’t taste bad. An Italian man had been in the community with his guide some hours longer than the rest of us and he had had the opportunity to taste the larvae alive. I’m not sure I would have had the guts to do that.
    To drink we got some fermented drinks. One was made of yucca and the other was made of both yucca and plantains. I didn’t really notice a difference between them, but on the other hand I didn’t drink much.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo

The restaurant at Sani Lodge

by MalenaN Written Jan 5, 2013

Lunch at Sani Lodge, Ecuador

Breakfast is usually served at 6am. Every morning (except my last morning at the lodge) it was a breakfast buffet. Among other things on the buffet table there were fresh fruits and fruit juices, yoghurt, milk, muesli, cereals, eggs as you liked them, cheese, butter, jam and different bread.

Lunch is served at 13 (the day we were going to the Sani community we ate at 12) and dinner is served at 19. Before each meal someone blows in a bamboo horn to tell that now food is ready. In the restaurant the different groups and their guide sit together at one table. That is very nice I think as it gives you the opportunity to talk about the day that has passed or the coming day.

The first evening at Sani Lodge we ate a buffet dinner. It turned out that that is only the case when there are many people at the lodge. The next coming days we were served lunch and dinner ready on plates by the table. The quality of the food is good and we got a big variety of food. There was always a starter, main course and a dessert. However, I must say that the portions were rater small and if I had chosen myself I would have put more on the plate. One evening I mentioned to our guide Jorge that I thought the portions were too small and shortly after I was served a second plate of the main meal. That was very nice and absolutely what I needed that day. On my last day, when all other tourists and Jorge had left the lodge, I mentioned this to my new guide Danny, and once again I was brought a second plate of the main meal. This time they had cut the meat for me in the kitchen as they probably had seen Danny do it for me when I got the first plate (I had a broken wrist and could not cut the meat with one hand). So, if you are still hungry don’t be afraid to ask for more food.

• Jungle and Rain Forest

Instant Answers: Sani Lodge

Comments

Sani Lodge Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Sani Lodge restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Sani Lodge sightseeing.