Cuenca Restaurants

by MalenaN

Most Recent Restaurants in Cuenca

El Maiz: Culinary art...

by elsadran Updated Oct 10, 2014

El Maiz: Walking down Calle Larga I stopped at the ruins of Todos los Santos. Looking up to my right I saw a beautiful beautiful balcony attached to a nicely decorated house. I had to take the photo so I went in and I was pleased to see the interior of the restaurant was equally pleasing. Wonderfully decorated, nice pale colors, happy atmosphere. Even the customers were smiling at
    me . I sat in the back yard balcony with the colourful little garden. When my order came I also had to take its picture so well presented. The taste was also satisfying and I quickly came to like the wonderful ladies, Eulalia and Maria, who tried to make everybody happy with their polite warmth and their smiling eagerness. They run the restaurant very efficiently and take care of every client as if they are their own friends. They have turned cooking to a culinary art, trying to combine their local products with the international idea of alimentation.
    Prices are fine , around 6$ for the main dishes. You won't have to spend more than 8$ to make your stomach happy because the plate contains salad, vegetables rice or other things beside meat or fish you have ordered. This is common everywhere in Ecuador. Of course I should mention the cute little basket filled with baked corn – maiz tostado, in spanish – which justifies the restaurant's name and is so tasty that you can hardly stop before it is over...
    Trout, beef (lomo), ceviche all plates are satisfying both to the eye and to the palate. I also tried quinota which is something like frumenty or couscous...quite interesting..
    The building was originally a home of an old ecuadorian family and has been successfully converted to a pleasant restaurant, but you can still browse at the family items discretely exhibited in the beautiful corners or the colourful walls. Very nice! Even their flyers are works of art!

Click to see the food !!! and much more...

No se vaya de Cuenca sin disfrutar la comida y el ambiente de El Maiz. Todo es arte!

The balcony... The food... Interior of El Maiz

• elsadran's Profile Photo

Rancho Chileno 2: for a romantic evening...

by elsadran Updated Oct 10, 2014

This is a very elegant restaurant with very good food and a romantic ambient. Candle lit tables, soft music and formal, delicate decoration makes it the perfect place for an unforgettable dinner with your sweetheart or a relaxed chat with your friends. Food is carefully cooked and involves international and local savours. Service is excellent and prices are surprisingly low for what it is. They are the same prices as its “brother” Ranch Chileno 1 near the airport. That is, main dishes around 6$, including both beef and seafood dishes, ceviches, prawns, shrimps, “lomo” and much more.
    It's been recently renovated and has a huge upper floor hall for group dinners and special events.
    It is also near the airport , just 80 meters further on Avenida Espana, on the same side of the street.
    It's part of the traditional house of a respectable family of Cuenca.

Un restaurante con comida excelente, servicio impecable, ambiente formal y romantico. El mejor lugar para pasar un tarde inolvidable. Sala grande al segundo piso para eventos especiales.

Rancho Chileno 2 Rancho Chileno 2-the upper floor diner

• elsadran's Profile Photo

Rancho Chileno 1: The best empanadas in Cuenca !!!

by elsadran Updated Oct 10, 2014

Just next to the airport there is a very good restaurant. The quality of the food, the informal atmosphere, the rustic decoration and the tables in the space outside makes it worthy of a visit. Use it before or after the flight. Visit it even if you have arrived or are leaving by bus, as it is just 2 blocks from the main bus station on Avenida Espana. Have a meal, a drink or just a delicious “empanada” very typical in Ecuador. The international and traditional dishes are well cooked. The ceviches and prawn dishes are very tasty. Prices are between 1$ (for natural juices) and 6$ for the main dishes. The special beef dish costs 7$ and is really delicious.
    There is also a second large space inside more formally decorated for special events.
    The best is sitting outside on a sunny day munching the savoury food and watching the planes come and go...
    The small street in front is called Elia Liut.
    The owner Mayra Blandin L. will welcome you with a smile...

Click on the photo to see the empanadas...

Junto al aeropuerto un restaurante excellente con comida deliciosa y mesas afuera para disfrutar las mejores empanadas in Cuenca!

The bar of Rancho Chileno restaurant empanadas

• elsadran's Profile Photo

Cafe Austria: excellent ice cream..

by elsadran Updated Oct 10, 2014

In an elegant and comfortable environment you will relax over a cup of coffee or have a quiet conversation with your friends. Service is very good, food quality is high, and the location is very convenient, as it is right in the center of action. Prices are about 6-7$US for the main dishes. I tried their excellent "Lasagna Bolognese" and the chicken which was also very tasty. There are fresh fruit juices, delicious sweets and excellent Italian ice cream, as my friends told me, as I don't eat it. Even celebrities of the city are customers of this pleasant cafe-restaurant.

El Viejo Rincón Restaurant: Great food, unbelievably cheap

by bpwarne Written Mar 22, 2014

We ate t this restaurant a couple times during our visit in March, 2014. Prices were ridiculously cheap and the food was delicious. the place is on the small side, staff id friendly but not much English spoken. This seemed pretty much a locals place and was quite busy both ties we were there. I doubt that you will run into many tourists or expats here but there was an older couple one day. Set lunches were incredibly cheap I believe $2.50 and looked quite good but we did not try them, ordering ala carte instead. A very pleasant experience on both our visits.

Favorite Dish: Beef Empanada, $1, Humitas, $.80, Shrimp Relleno.

• bpwarne's Profile Photo

Tutto Freddo: Ice Cream Heaven!

by bpwarne Updated Mar 22, 2014

We ate at this place the very first night we arrived in town. It was late, about 9 PM and we walked the few short blocks from our hotel to the square looking for something to eat after the 3 hour van ride from Guayaquil. Tutto Freddo was the first place we found open. It was packed but service was good and the sandwiches were great. We ended up coming here daily, sometimes twice daily while in Cuenca, in the mornings for Cappuccino and often in the evenings for ice cream and/or cake. Great ice cream and wide selection of flavors. Good cappuccino (while not great, the best we found in Cuenca. We found Ecuador coffee and espresso surprisingly disappointing overall), huge variety of bakery selections:cakes, fruit tarts, tiramisu, pizza, crepes, sandwiches, lasagne which we didn't try but seemed quite popular with the locals. This is a great place to grab treat and a seat by the window and just watch the activity glide by.
    Strategically located on a corner of Parque Calderon. I say strategically because if you are visiting Cuenca you are almost certainly going to this square at least once daily, there's just too much happening there to not. And once you discover Tutto Freddo's, you will have a hard time passing it by, believe me...it's tough to just walk by!

Favorite Dish: The "Amore" sundae, $2.35, cappuccino, $1.40, Vegetarian sandwich, served with potato chips, $2.99.

Cuchara Magica Cafe - Restaurant: Great restraurant in Old Town Cuenca

by bpwarne Written Mar 22, 2014

Great staff, Fresh new decor, multiple dining areas. Excellent friendly staff, menus in Spanish and English. Nice ambiance, somewhat romantic, unique decor. Chef is Cordon Bleu trained. This was our favorite restaurant in Cuenca. Would definitely return.

Favorite Dish: Hands down the typico Potato Soup. Had it twice here. If we ever return to Cuenca we will head straight to this restaurant for the Potato soup. Also excellent are the pasta dishes but beware - they are huge! Walking magician entertains table side some nights.

The Coffee Tree: Pavement seating

by toonsarah Written Feb 7, 2013

When we first arrived in Cuenca it was about 9.00 am. We had been up since 5.00 and not had breakfast (only a drink was served on our flight), so that was the first thing we looked for – and the first likely place we saw was this European-style café on a street corner just a few metres from our hotel. It was a bright sunny morning, warmer than we had been having in Quito, and the pavement tables and chairs looked very inviting. We managed to secure one of these spots and were soon checking the menu for breakfast options.

Favorite Dish: Chris decided to try a local dish that our transfer driver, Claudia, had mentioned – bolon. This is a ball of mashed plantain shaped around a cheesy filling and fried, here served with a cappuccino as a breakfast. I stuck to the more conventional muesli, which in fact was granola served with fresh fruit (pineapple, strawberry, kiwi and melon), yoghurt and honey – a very large portion and delicious. I also had a double espresso and the total bill was $12 with service.

Later in our visit to Cuenca we returned here a couple of times, once just for drinks (mora juice for Chris, while I sampled the traditional Day of the Dead drink, colada moradas - $4 for both) and on our last day for lunch. On that occasion I had a spinach and cheese crepe, and Chris the “pitta Arabe” topped with chicken, olives, peppers and cheese. With his sparkling water and my delicious passion-fruit juice the bill was $16, again including service. It was the Saturday of the holiday weekend so we were lucky to again get an outside table and enjoy the buzz on the street and the live music playing nearby. This isn’t the cheapest place in Cuenca, but the large outside space does make it an attractive option in good weather.

Next tip: we start our sightseeing next-door to the café at the church of La Merced

The Coffee Tree Muesli Bolon Pitta Arabe Spinach crepe

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

Raymipampo: Great local food, great location

by toonsarah Written Feb 7, 2013

You might expect a restaurant situated in this prime location on the west side of Parque Calderón , right next to the new cathedral, to be a tourist rip-off, but Raymipampo is anything but! We came here twice and on both occasions found it busy and bustling, with a really mixed clientele – local families enjoying a meal together while attending the holiday weekend festivities, young women in town on a shopping spree, tourists of all ages, and even a group of young men and women in army uniform who had I think been taking part in a parade.

The décor here is eclectic and in places eye-catching – in how many restaurants are pieces of old cutlery and broken crockery used to make light-fittings as in my third photo?! More conventionally, there are some interesting historic photos of Cuenca on the walls, and the building itself is old and full of character.

You may wait to get a table here at busy times, but we found the short queue we encountered on our second visit moved quickly and tables were efficiently allocated by the helpful staff – and it’s worth the wait.

Favorite Dish: On our first visit here, on the morning of our first day in Cuenca, we were just looking for a cold drink, having been standing in the sun watching a procession wind its way round the Parque Calderón. There were lots of fruit juices to choose from, and I opted for pineapple while Chris had a tart tree tomato. Both were very refreshing and cost just $1.50 each for a large glass. We had been given a table by the window so could watch the holiday crowds outside as we drank, and despite the fact that it was very busy and we weren’t eating a meal, we didn’t feel hurried but could relax and enjoy our drinks.

On our second visit it was Saturday lunchtime and even busier. We had a short wait for a table, but only a matter of minutes. I had the traditional soup, locra de papa, which was very good (one of the best I had on the trip) and a sparkling water, while Chris had a toasted cheese sandwich and a Coke. Our bill was $6.85 without service, which had been friendly despite the crowds. Definitely recommended!

Next tip: exploring beyond the Parque Calderón, the Plazoleta del Carmen

In Raymipampo Locra de papas Light fitting, Raymipampo

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

La Parola: More bar than lunch spot?

by toonsarah Written Feb 7, 2013

On our first day in Cuenca we had to return to our hotel, the Victoria, at midday to check in, having arrived too early to do so immediately. Once we had done that, settled into our room and unpacked, we were ready for lunch and looked for somewhere nearby on the Calle Larga. La Parola caught my eye because it had an upstairs terrace which seemed an attraction on this warm sunny day and which we thought might offer views over the Rio Tomebamba. However when we got up there we found that it was largely glassed in and rather hot. However we managed to get a table by a window, which the waiter helpfully opened, so we decided to stay, prompted by a tempting menu.

This is really more bar than café and I am sure is very lively at night, mainly attracting a non-local crowd (and one rather younger than we are, I suspect). But it was a quiet relaxing spot for lunch, though a bit pricy by Ecuadorean standards.

I had a delicious pitta bread stuffed with various vegetables – tomatoes, red and yellow peppers, onions, olives, and with cheese. There were skewers of grapes and more olives too. Chris had a huge sandwich with different meats and cheese, accompanied by very good chips. We both drank sparkling water. The bill came to $14 – definitely more than we had got used to paying for lunch in Ecuador, but also a rather bigger lunch than we would normally have.

Next tip: the cosy Café Austria

Pitta with vegetables Big sandwich! La Parola

Café Austria: A corner of old Europe

by toonsarah Written Feb 7, 2013

I usually like to eat and drink mainly local treats when travelling, but I can’t resist a good cup of coffee, so the presence in Cuenca of a supposedly Viennese-style coffee-house was enough to tempt me to break that admittedly very flexible rule! When we got to the Café Austria I felt that it was in practice more like a French bistro in style than an Austrian coffee-house, but it was no less pleasant for that, and the coffee was as good as I’d hoped.

This is the sort of place you can sit over a drink or a snack for a while. The décor is pleasant, there are newspapers to read from around the world, and free wifi. I have read mixed reviews of the food (though people around us were tucking into late breakfasts very happily) but the coffee is widely praised and with good reason. I really enjoyed my Eiskaffee and Chris his cappuccino, and we thought the $4.75 we paid for the two drinks was reasonable. The service was perhaps a little slow, but this probably isn’t somewhere you would come if in a hurry.

Next tip: dinner at Tiesto’s

In the Caf�� Austria Eiskaffee

Tiesto’s: Best in town?

by toonsarah Written Feb 7, 2013

Our friends in Quito had told us that Cuenca was the place to eat the best food in the country, and I had read that Tiesto’s did the best food in Cuenca, so it seemed that this was a place we should try! As we only had two evenings here, and as we were equally impressed with our dinner on the second of these, I’m not in a position to vouch for this being the best – but I can say that it was very good food indeed, although we did have a few issues with the service.

We had popped in while passing earlier in the day and reserved a table, and it was just as well that we had, because the restaurant, split over two small rooms, was packed. Even with a reservation we had to wait five minutes for our table. But the food was worth the wait.

Favorite Dish: On seating we were brought a basket of baguette slices and eight (!) little bowls containing a variety of chilli sauces which were named and described so quickly by the waitress that we didn’t really take in what she said – though I do know one sauce contained pineapple and another apple, while one was very hot indeed!

We were still enjoying these when our mains (we had wisely opted not to have starters) arrived – rather too quickly really. These were both delicious. Chris had chicken in a sauce made with blue cheese (En salsa de queso azul), while my chicken was cooked in sauce of tomatoes, peppers and onions (El Tiesto en su salsa). The latter was an especially large portion so Chris had some of that too. More, slightly larger, bowls appeared with a variety of accompaniments including boiled potatoes, rice, salad, white corn, a semolina salad and marocho (a variety of maize and my favourite, though Chris was less keen).

You could spend quite a lot of money here (a tasting menu for two costs $62, for instance) but our bill, with two Club beers, was a very reasonable $29. The only sour note (apart from the over-speedy serving of the main course) was that we were short changed, and although this was corrected as soon as we pointed it out, there was no apology.

But plus points for the cosy atmosphere, lovely old building and gregarious chef, who makes a point of visiting each table to check that you are enjoying his food. Definitely worth a visit, for both the experience and the quality of the meals. So despite the small qibbles with the service I've rated this as four star, though they did make me pause and consider just three for a moment!

Next tip: another dinner, at Las Monjas

In Tiesto's Bread and eight dips My delicious chicken Bar area

Las Monjas: Excellent fusion cuisine

by toonsarah Updated Feb 7, 2013

So on our first evening in Cuenca we had eaten at the restaurant rated number one here on Trip Advisor, and the only way to follow that seemed to be to try the one rated as number two, :as Monjas. And to be honest, based on just one visit to each, I would give this one the edge. The only surprising thing is that it isn’t busier. We came on a Friday evening and were amazed to find only two other tables taken as we had worried that we might not get in, having not got round to making a reservation. This really deserves to be better known!

In contrast to the traditional décor of Tiesto’s, the atmosphere here is cool and modern. It looks expensive, but while you can certainly eat more cheaply in Ecuador, the prices here are not really much higher than many a less-good restaurant and we thought it was excellent value for the quality of the food.

The name, by the way, means The Nuns, and is derived from its location opposite a convent.

Favorite Dish: They describe the cooking here as “New Andean” – a kind of Andes/European fusion. That may sound odd, but judging by what we ate, it works! The cover (which like everywhere we went in Ecuador was complimentary) was garlic bread with four delicious sauces – two with chilli and two we couldn’t identify. We then shared a mixed starter platter (one of two on the menu) which consisted of my favourite Ecuadorean treat of llapingachos (cheese-filled potato patties), cheesy empanadas (sprinkled with sugar as is quite common here), a stuffed green chilli and slice of pork in an apple sauce.

My main dish certainly reflected the fusion theme - corvina (sea bass) in a quinoa crust with an olive sauce, served on a bed of nicely al dente fettuccini. Chris chose one of several chicken dishes which had pieces of chicken, peppers and other vegetables in a sauce flavoured with tree tomato and accompanied with rice. We had no room for dessert despite a rather tempting menu. With two Club beers our bill was just under $30. Highly recommended!

Next tip: the wonderful Wunderbar!

Garlic bread and dips Starter platter Corvina with quinoa and olives Chicken in tree tomato sauce Sign above the entrance archway

• MalenaN's Profile Photo

Pumapungo

by MalenaN Written Oct 17, 2011

After visiting Museo del Banco Central Pumapungo I had planed to eat lunch at El Maíz, which is a recommended restaurant nearby. But on the way I passed Pumapungo, which had a sign outside advertising lunches for $2.00 (July 2011). So I decided to go inside and have a look. The restaurant is on the other side of a small courtyard and I decided to eat there. For $2 you get a soup, a main plate, a desert and a juice. The first time I ate here I also got a bowl of Mote de Maíz and the second time I had lunch here (yes, I came back another day) I got a bowl of popcorn.

Many of the lunch costumers seem to be people working in the neighbourhood, and there were no tourist at all, which I liked. Even though there are many lunch guests it is a quiet place.

Lunch at Pumapungo Lunch at Pumapungo

• MalenaN's Profile Photo

Café Austria

by MalenaN Written Oct 16, 2011

I came here to have a good coffee and sit down reading for a while. The cappuccino I ordered was good and the atmosphere was relaxed. I also had a fruit salad with yoghurt. It is not a cheap place and I paid $5.25 for the cappuccino and fruit salad (July 2011).

At Café Austria you can have breakfast, lunch, dinner, sandwiches and cakes, different coffees, teas, juices and also alcoholic drinks in the evening. There are newspaper and magazines to read and there is also free wi-fi. There is a mix of tourist and locals at the café.

Instant Answers: Cuenca

Comments

Cuenca Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Cuenca restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Cuenca sightseeing.