Ingapirca Things to Do

Most Recent Things to Do in Ingapirca

Museum at Ingapirca

by MalenaN Updated May 27, 2013

Ca��ari dress, Ingapirca Museum

Admission to the small museum is included in the ticket price for visiting the Ingapirca ruins ($6 July 2011). I didn’t visit the museum right after the ruins, but came back later before closing time. At this time there were no other visitors and I had the museum to myself.

In the museum you can see pottery from the Cañari and Inca people and there is also an ethnographic room with textiles and other items of the Cañaris. There are also photos and information about the restoration work of the archaeological site.

• Museum Visits

Visiting Ruinas de Ingapirca

by MalenaN Updated May 27, 2013

Temple of the Sun, Ingapirca

The admission to Ingapirca archaeological site is $6 (July 2011). In that price a guided tour of the site and entrance to the museum is included. The guided tour takes about an hour and if you don’t speak Spanish there are also English speaking guides available. You don’t have to follow a guide, but as there is no information about Ingapirca at the site it is a good idea to do so.

The most interesting building at Ingapirca is the Temple of the Sun, built on an elliptical shaped platform. Here you can see how the Incas have fitted the stones of the wall together perfectly without using mortar. It is also built so that at the solstices, at a special time of the day, the sunlight will shine through the doorway to a small chamber.

• Architecture

Walk around Ingapirca

by MalenaN Written Aug 18, 2011

Walk above Ingapirca

There are several dirt roads you can take around Ingapirca if you want to go for a walk. I took the one continuing above Ingapirca archaeological site, past Posada Ingapirca. In the early afternoon (when I sat inside to eat lunch) it was sunny and views over the mountains were great. When I started my walk I could see how the low clouds where getting closer and it was not long until the surrounding landscape was covered in them and there were no view, and it also became colder. I passed houses and pastures on my walk and greeted people I met. The road was going uphill all the way until I turned around and walked back. On my way back a woman asked me if I wasn’t afraid to walk alone and I told her I wasn’t. She said something about robberies and I think there might have been one (but I’m not sure). I’m glad I hadn’t heard of that before my walk.

• Strannik's Profile Photo

Cara del Inca

by Strannik Written Oct 5, 2004

Cara del Inca

Besides walking through Ingapirca ruins, there is another interesting thing to do in the surroundings, just ask for "Cara del Inca" rock and you will be led by a 20 minute-path that crosses small colorful rural houses to a rock with a clear human face's siloutte, which is known as "face of Inca" (don't ask me which one). If you see closer you can see his hairy eyebrows :)

And the most amazing is that he has been there even centuries before than those Mt. Rushmore gentlemen! :)

• Festivals

Instant Answers: Ingapirca

Comments

Ingapirca Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Ingapirca things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Ingapirca sightseeing.