Montañita Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Montañita

• elsadran's Profile Photo

Hola Ola-Tierra Prometida: The best cappuccinos and much more...!

by elsadran Updated Apr 4, 2011

My special

Under the nice hotel “ Tierra Prometida” the hotel owners keep one of the best restaurants in Montañita. There is a laid-back atmosphere in a cosy ambient. All customers seem relaxed either sipping their drinks at the bar or over a savoury hearty meal. The variety of international and local food doesn't give you any chance to get bored. The outdoor tables are good for watching passers-by, while enjoying an awaking breakfast, american, continental or just my way-graniola, natural yogurt and fruit! The service is good and relatively quick comparing to Ecuadorian standards. (Yes, in Ecuador go to the restaurants ...before you feel hungry or else you will starve.)
    The menu includes stakes, seafood, burger dishes and some interesting Israeli recipes. "Shawarna is a typical Israli dish served with chicken and veggies in an interesting combination! Also try Flatafel Latino and lasagna Bolognese.
    It's relatively more expensive but still low as all ecuadorian food is. Main dishes are around 8-10US$ but complete with vegetables and whatever they put in to make it enough for a hearty meal.
    They also have the best cappuccino in the area.

2 more photos

• elsadran's Profile Photo

Happy Donkey House: delicious Parillada!

by elsadran Updated Apr 4, 2011

Do you know what a parillada is ? Well, it's delicious chops of various parts of meat cooked over a charcoal fire, giving out the most appetising odour and having a mouth watering taste. And the owner Omar Fernandez knows its secret very well! But this nice restaurant has more to offer. There are pastas, oriental cuisine, seafood, wines and much more.
    You can find it in front of the park which is next to the church. The outdoor tables are agreeable when the heat is going up.

Restaurante Ebenezer: Local Food

by malianrob Written Mar 22, 2008

I am not sure who Ebenezer is but he has a few restaurants around the town and on the outskirts of town. The food is so so.
    We stopped here for breakfast one morning. My breakfast was good. I had a simple cafe con leche, jugo de pina, eggs and fresh bread. Now thats not hard to mess up. Rob got the ceviche and he said that it wasnt that good. We were better off buy the ceviche on the street because that was the best. Koa got pancakes and he didnt like them eithet. Alexis ended up eatting them but she eats everything and anything. She said they were ok.
    I probably wouldnt come back here unless it for the simple cafe con leche breakfast for under $2.
    The service was good and the place looked clean. The food is inexpensive.
    It was a nice place to sit down and people watch in the morning.

Karukera: The best Caipirinas

by malianrob Updated Mar 21, 2008

We stummbled into this bar on the last day in Montanita. We decided to walk around the town again until everyone was ready to leave. We didnt get very far because we walked to the end of the block from our hotel and sat down right here thinking we would have a drink. Well about three hours later it wasnt just Rob and I anymore and the kids it was practically all of our group.
    A funny thing happened, at least we could laugh about it now. We rented a van to get all of us to Montanita. Maria and Eddie were leaving Montanita early and heading to Salinas. The plan was to meet up with them later. We packed up everything and checked out of the room when I saw everyone just standing around. Turns out we lost the key to the van.....Then we find it... but not really. Turns out we find out that Maria accidently took the keys with her to Salinas! Thats about an hour away. She sends a driver back with the keys. It took 3 hours! So enstead of getting mad, we got our drink on.

Favorite Dish: I requested a Caipirina. I still hadne tasted a good one so I wondered if I was doing the right thing by ordering this. My first one came and it was good but I hardly tasted the liquor. Not to mention the Bartender was the slowest slowest slowest I have ever met. But my Caipirina was good. I soon realized that the right thing to do was to order like two at a time. By the time I finished one I ordered my next two and by the time I finished number 2, the next two were coming to me. After one I was feeling very good. I have no idea how much I had because I lost count and I was pretty toasted. And I can drink!

Street food: Street food

by malianrob Updated Mar 21, 2008

Now this is the authentic, scrumptous Ecuadorean food I am talking about! Forget the restaurants Keep the Empanadas coming!
    Some people dont eat street food but they have no clue what they are missing. The empanadas sell for .50 for either cheese or chicken. The corn is roasted and smothered with , You can also get grilled meat on the steak smothered in mayo and pesto.
    Also, ceviche made with some of the biggest oysters you have ever seen, cut up and mixed with onions, peppers, and hot sauce, and tomatos.
    The food was good and inexpensive.

Parrilladas Argentinas: Argentine Bar b Que

by malianrob Updated Mar 21, 2008

One thing I know for sure was that this place was not ready for all twenty two of us! They did try to accomodate us as much as possible but it took sooooooooooooooo long to get our food. When it did arrive it wasnt too bad. The chicken and sausage was great! The meat was alright, not too tender but tastey. On the disappointing side was that on the side was only salad and chimichurri sauce. Thats it. Alittle rice or potatoes would have been good.
    On the bright side, it was all our family together, enjoying eachothers company and bonding. Yes, the beers helped. :)

Hola Ola: Hola Ola

by malianrob Updated Mar 21, 2008

It was alittle hard to accommodate a big group like ours but they tried their best and in the end we were fed, we drank and we had a good time.
    I heard someone say that this was the best place to eat in Montanita. Some people in our group disaggreed. I thought the food was good. I had the steal brochettes which were like shish kabob on a bed of rice with potatoes and some salad. It wasnt bad. Rob had the friend calamari and he said it was good. Alexis had a pizza and Kekoa had a burger.
    The menu was pretty much all over the board. Someone in our group had like a Thai rice dish and said it wasnt too good. They had a variety of dishes but none seemed to be Ecuadorean dishes that was for sure.
    I did come back for lunch on another occassion and for breakfast on another occassion. The food I found to be ok. Not bad but not great.

Favorite Dish: Since we were a large group there was a variety of food on the table. It all looked scrumptous. My uncle got a little bothered because they forgot his plate. Everyone had eaten and three of us still hadnt gotten our food. Me, my uncle and my aunt.
    Finally they brought my aunts food and mine as we patiently waited for my uncles food that never came.
    I understand that there were alot of us so they did the best they could. I ended up giving my unlce half my dish because I found it hard to eat while it was so hot and humid and we were sitting outside. Not that sitting inside would have been any better.

Happy Donkey: Ok dining in Montanita

by lemondrop Written Apr 18, 2007
    The owners out front

First of all, my opinion of the place wasn't so stellar. I ordered a Chinese dish that was pretty poorly done. It didn't taste the least bit asian. My companion ordered fish, which got good reports. I was told the bathroom was pretty grotty, so beware. If you come here, don't order anything Chinese, and stay out of the toilet!

• Surfing

Casablanca: The best food in Montanita

by lemondrop Updated Apr 18, 2007
    Heavenly fish kabobs

This was damn near the best food I had in 3 weeks of traveling around Ecuador. It's a pleasant open air restaurant with the kitchen in plain view behind the counter...great if you like watching the cooking action. The varied menu has Ecuadorian, Peruvian and International dishes. The ceviche is outstanding, you can order it Peruvian or Ecuadorian style. You really can't go wrong here, as everything seems to be great. The Peruvian chef is the real deal.

Favorite Dish: The fish kabobs are outstanding....juicy, tender....beyond words

• No name (as far as I remember): Excellent grilled seafood

by CaptainAmerica Written May 1, 2004

Don't be afraid by the smoke!

A very nice and cheap restaurant made of three tables and some chairs in the main street. They serve excellent grilled seafood in big plates full of rice and local specials.

Favorite Dish: The grilled seafood but they serve the same plates with chicken as well.

various: Street food

by lemondrop Written Apr 27, 2007
    Grilling corn on the street

For a cheap snack, the street vendors in Montanita can satisfy your cravings. Hamburgers, Empanadas, and grilled corn are some of the typical stuff you will find.

• Funcky Monkey: Nice at any time of the day

by CaptainAmerica Written May 1, 2004

Oups; that's not the right picture...

The Funcky Monkey surves delicious vegetarian food as well as excellent breakfasts. You can also enjoy cocktails on the terrasse until 11pm.
    A pool table is available.

Favorite Dish: The breakfast is excellent.

Instant Answers: Montañita

Comments

Montañita Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Montañita restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Montañita sightseeing.