Fun things to do in Provincia del Pastaza

Puyo

Most Viewed Things to Do in Provincia del Pastaza

Build a Huaorani hut

by Krumel Updated Dec 26, 2007

Well, I have to admit, without some help from Eduardo, our excellent guide, our dwelling would probably not have been inhabitable...

The idea is to keep adding layers of overlapping leaves until you can bend them over and sleep underneath.

Have a blowpipe competition

by Krumel Written Sep 19, 2007

When we were first told that we would have a blowpipe competition we imagined a little pipe which you hold between two fingers and then blow a dart out of it. Well, the dart-bit was correct, but unfortunately the pipe was nearly 3 metres long and resembled a thin, straight alphorn rather than the little hollow twig that we had imagined it to be.

The most difficult thing was actually to lift it off the ground and to hold it up long enough to take aim and blow. I thought I'd never hit the target, which was an orange pinned to a board, as it seemed to be fairly far away. But it was surprisingly easy to actually blow the dart, and instead of dropping to the ground about a metre behind the pipe, as I had expected, it flew surprisingly far.

I'm still not too sure though how the tribes people ever sneak up to any wildlife in the forest if they are lugging such a large gadget around with them...

Weave a leaf-basket

by Krumel Updated Sep 19, 2007

It really looked very simple when our guide was doing it, and he had it done in no time at all.

We all got little baskets to take away with us, and I took mine back to Quito. Unfortunately they are very perishable, and by the time I was flying back home it had already started to wilt away.

But I had to smile when I was at Atlanta airport and then saw a girl with a similar basket who had actually managed to get that far in one piece :-).

• Krumel's Profile Photo

Taste the lemon ant tree

by Krumel Written Sep 19, 2007

As the name suggest, when you scratch off the bark and then lick the branch it tastes very zingy, like lemon. As the name also suggests, it is covered in little ants, and it took a lot of coercion before I finally tasted it.

And it wasn't that bad, after all :-).

• Krumel's Profile Photo

Go for a nightwalk in the forest

by Krumel Written Sep 19, 2007

It is amazing how many animals you will find after dark which are hidden during the day, particularly from the creepy-crawly category.

Apart from that it's just a very special experience to be out in the forest in the dark and to listen to all the strange noises around you.

Provincia del Pastaza Hotels

Top Provincia del Pastaza Hotels

Puyo Hotels
21 Reviews - 239 Photos

Instant Answers: Provincia del Pastaza

Comments

Provincia del Pastaza Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Provincia del Pastaza things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Provincia del Pastaza sightseeing.
Map of Provincia del Pastaza