La Counamama River
Just outside Iracoubou is La Counamama river, basically the sea inlet turns into 2 rivers, the Iracoubu and La Counamama.
On the river is the Cemetiére du Péres, where some 100 odd monks are buried, sent to French Guyana during the French revolution in the 1700s, 200 turned up and 1 month later 64 were left, not sure how many died after the first month, possibly all! Anyway, every year a ceremony is held there, its quite an interesting story and out of the way to visit.
The river then continues until it branches into the Sinnamary Branch and Iracoubu branch, which we found impassable as there were too many trees blocking the entrances.
It takes about an hour and a half to get to where the river breaks into 2, and you have to negotiate quite a few fallen trees, beware, the river changes daily, trees are constantly falling and where there wasn't an obstruction before, there may well be now.
La Counamama was also an excellent place to see Caymans, before they were all killed, you can still see Howler Monkeys, Macaques, Anaconda and other forest wildlife.Related to:
- Jungle and Rain Forest
French Guiana Hotels
Avenue de St. Exupery, Kourou, 97310, French Guiana
Good for: Families
Route de Montabo, Chemin Hilaire, Cayenne, 97300, French Guiana
Good for: Solo
Lac Bois Diable, , KOUROU 97310
Good for: Families
Top French Guiana Hotels
- Kourou Hotels
- 18 Reviews - 40 Photos
- Devils Island Hotels
- 22 Reviews - 40 Photos
- Cayenne Hotels
- 9 Reviews - 28 Photos
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Book online.
- Hotels.com See maps & reviews for over 140,000 Hotels worldwide!
Explore the World
- Dighomi Hotels
- Ferne Clyffe State Park Hotels
- Shravanabelagola Hotels
- Conil de la Frontera
- Otok Vir Hotels
- Vancouver Island Off The Beaten Path
- Halifax Off The Beaten Path
- Santa Fe Off The Beaten Path
- Marburg an der Lahn Off The Beaten Path
- Places around Hyderabad
- Miami Off The Beaten Path
- Udine Off The Beaten Path
- Province of Ontario Off The Beaten Path
- Kota Kinabalu Off The Beaten Path
- Kennebunkport Off The Beaten Path
- Hamilton Off The Beaten Path