Georgetown Shopping

The only usable ATM I saw in Georgetown
    by travelmad478

Most Recent Shopping in Georgetown

• travelmad478's Profile Photo

Scotiabank ATM: need cash? it's a challenge!

by travelmad478 Written Nov 18, 2012
    The only usable ATM I saw in Georgetown

I ended up changing US dollars into Guyanan dollars at my hotel, which is something I almost never do. The only ATM at the airport in Georgetown didn't accept my card, and I only found one ATM machine in town that accepted foreign cards--that's the Scotiabank ATM on Robb St., about 100 meters west of Camp St. Unfortunately, that ATM appeared to be out of service on the day I visited. I wasn't too concerned, since I had more cash than I knew what to do with--there's just not that much to spend it on in Georgetown--but be aware of this.

• travelmad478's Profile Photo

Souvenir vendors across from National Museum: Souvenirs, sort of

by travelmad478 Written Oct 27, 2012

The only place that I saw anything resembling souvenirs was a row of about 4-5 street vendors across from the entrance to the National Museum. I didn't look at them closely, but I didn't get the feeling that anything was worth crossing the street for. I saw things like straw hats and little wooden figures.

• DSwede's Profile Photo

Amerindian villages: Get some of the basketry and wicker goods

by DSwede Written Sep 29, 2008

Santa Mission and/or any of the Amerindian villages that you visit are a great place to buy some local crafts / souvenirs.

If you do not wish to buy, but learn more of the locals' history with wicker and basketry, the Walter Roth Museum in Georgetown has some great displays (it’s free too).

What to buy: Amerindian and other native peoples here are well known for their baskets and wicker weaving.

What to pay: Prices are very reasonable, particularly when you compare to the quality and authenticity. For example, I purchased a set of 6 table place mats, and a 35cm x 18cm oval dish with handles and pattern for less than $20 US.

Instant Answers: Georgetown

Comments

Georgetown Shopping

Reviews and photos of Georgetown shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Georgetown sightseeing.