Makouria Local Customs

Bread and butter pudding

Most Recent Local Customs in Makouria

Buffet

Buffet

All our mela are taken buffet style, which is obviously the easiest way of feeding a group of people with different tastes and requirements.

The first night we have Pork (makes a pleasant change), rice (again), plantain with cheese, mashed yam and salad.

The second night the food consists of chicken (again), fried rice, macaroni cheese and fritters.

For breakfast there is egg and bacon. Luxury!

Eddoe

Mashed eddoe

Eddoe is grown and eaten a lot here in Guyana. I have seen it in Sainsbury's at home, but never tried cooking with it!

Here, eddoe is served mashed, and it tastes a little like mashed potato. Very enjoyable.

Plantain

Plantain with cheese

One of the things I love about travel, is trying the local food. Here at Shanklands we are served a buffet which contains a lot of food that is unusal to us.

Plantain with cheese. I have eaten plantain several times before, and these actually taste more like bananas than plantain. That aside, the dish is very nice.

Pudding

Bread and butter pudding

Although I normally don't have a sweet tooth, I must admit that my favourite dish at this place is the bread and butter pudding we have for dessert the first evening. Yummy!

Instant Answers: Makouria

Comments

Makouria Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Makouria local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Makouria sightseeing.