Fun things to do in Guyana

Female Cock-of-the-Rock on nest
    The Golden Frog in its Bromeliad plant
    The Kaieteur Rainforest

Most Viewed Things to Do in Guyana

Iwokrama

by grets Updated Apr 4, 2011

The Iwokrama Forest is a Wilderness Preserve of nearly one million acres of untamed wilderness as part of the Guiana Shield. The forest sits on one of the oldest exposed rock surfaces in the world. This area is one of the last four "frontier forests" in the world - apart from small Amerindian settlements, it is uninhabited and offers unrivalled rainforest adventures for people seeking a truly unique ecotouring experience.

The purpose of Iwokrama International Centre for Rainforest Conservation is to preserve values pertaining to the realtionship between nature and the local people who live here, visitors and the people of Guyana in general.

The contsruction of roads, tourist facilities and mineral extraction is prohibited, timber harvesting is restricted as is the use of motorised vehicles. Fairview is the only settlement within Iwokrama, a Macushi village of 127 people.

In Iwokrama there are estimated to be over 200 different species of mammals, 50 birds, 420 fish and 150 reptiles and amphibians.

Trekking

Kaieteur Falls

by grets Written Nov 3, 2004

At 741 feet, Kaieteur Falls is the highest single drop waterfall in the world - five times the height of Niagara!

The setting is beautiful, in the heart of the rain forest, surrounded by unspoilt wilderness.

There are hiking paths that lead from the small airstrip down to the falls. You are most likely to have the falls to yourself.

Surama Village

by grets Written Nov 3, 2004

Surama is a small village of 232 people, set in the Pakoraima Mountains. The village is a long way from the hustle and bustle of life as we know it - just how remote the location is can not be appreciated until you try to reach the village overland!

The majority of the inhabitants in the village are of the Macushi tribe, and although English is the official language of Guyana, Macushi is now being taught in the schools in this area, in an effort to revitalise the Macushi traditions and culture. We found the people incredibly friendly, helpful and welcoming, and nothing was too much trouble!

The community have identified eco-tourism as a sustainable use of their land, which means that instead of having to leave the village to work on logging projects or gold mines elsewhere, employment is available nearer home within the eco-tourism industry. All tours to Surama are managed and operated solely by the Macushi and as well as the direct income from eco-tourism, the community also benefits from the purchase of local produce and a portion of every tour goes to a fund which is used for community development projects.

Butterflies

by grets Written Nov 3, 2004

The lovely pale yellow butterflies were on a migration to Brazil, and were found in large numbers settled on any area of stagnant water. I have never seen so many butterflies in one place at one time ever before.

Disturbing the butterflies which had settled in this little pool of water, they all flew up at the same time, filling the air with little yellow flecks.

When they move off, they fly in "formation", one after the other, as if they are all attached to a string. One turns, and all the others follow. They remind me of those Chinese dances with long flowing ribbons!

Butterflies

Guyana from the air

by grets Written Nov 3, 2004

Flying from Baganara to Kaieteur to Orinduik to Mahdia to Baganara, we covered large areas of Guyana from the air.

Three things really struck me during the flight:

1. How beautiful the countryside of Guyana is from the air

2. How much of the country is covered with rainforest

3. That you don't realise how many different shades of green there are until you've flown over a rain forest

• bianchis's Profile Photo

If in Georgetown a must the Botanical Gardens

by bianchis Written Oct 17, 2003

Childhood memories come sweeping me back in the past of happy hours spent in the Botanical Gardens. About 50 hectares of Guyana's flora and fauna. I remember the pavilions where the police band played their music on a Sunday morning and the kissing bridge. The ponds showing off the Victoria Regia lily, the world's largest, growing up to 7 feet in diameter. The gentle manatees whom we fed with grass and the awful boys who tries to poke them with sticks. The zoo is also there but then even as a child I never really liked to see these jungle animals in cages.

Botanic Garden

Turtle Mountain

by grets Written Nov 3, 2004

One of the trekking possiblities at Iwokrama is to climb Turtle Mountain. After a boat trip of around half an hour, you make a rough landing before setting off on reasonable trails.

The first part of the trail was rather precarious, as you needed to cross a small creek. You could either try and balance on a fallen log which was rather tangled in vegetation - one of our party got a rather nasty burn mark on his neck when he accidentally brushed again a poisonous tree. The other option was to wade, but if you were unlucky you'd get water into your boots. Not recommended as wet socks often give you blisters.

View from the mountain

• Aafia's Profile Photo

Mother Nature's Jacuzzi...Orinduik Falls

by Aafia Updated Jul 1, 2007

Our last full day in the Pakaraima region included a 6 hour hike in the scorching sun that took us from Kurukaburu to a little village on the Guyana/Brazilian border. From here we would catch a flight back to Georgetown. Our reward at the end of this grueling trek was the discovery that we were at the site of Orinduik Falls. The falls are found on the Ireng River, one of the tributaries that forms the Amazon River system. These beautiful falls stretch from one side of the river to the other, tumbling over rocks and terraces. What I really loved about these falls were the natural pools that formed, big enough to swim in. There's nothing more enjoyable than relaxing in Mother Nature's jacuzzi. It wasn't long before we grabbed our green bio-degradable soap and showered under one of the gentler cascades, luxuriating at the same time, in an invigorating massage...
    ...and at the end of the day, after the sun had set, we were lulled to sleep by the soothing sounds of this beautiful waterfall.

Orinduik Falls Shower time All cleaned up
    • Adventure Travel

Orinduik Falls

by grets Written Nov 3, 2004

The falls are not high, but the setting in the fact that they tumble over solid Jasper, a semi-precious stone, make them very attractive.

From the airstrip there is a short walk down to the falls, over some rocks.

The falls are named after orin, a kind of sea weed which covers the rocks around the falls.

Orinduik Falls

Wildlife

by grets Written Nov 3, 2004

Although many large mammals roam the forests og Guyana, we did not see many. There are jaguars, agouti, capybara, coatimundi, deer, giants otters and caiman to name a few. Of those we actually saw a deer, two agouti and the eyes of a caiman at night.

There are, however, plenty of lizards, iguanas, geckos, frogs and insects.

Lizard

• Aafia's Profile Photo

Visit one of the world's greatest waterfalls.

by Aafia Updated Apr 4, 2011

My first glance at Kaieteur Falls from the air took my breath away. Kaieteur Falls are in the centre of Guyana's rain forest and a National Park has been established to highlight the falls and the biodiversity of the rain forest. As soon as our plane landed, we wasted no time in walking down the nature trail that led to the falls. As we approached, the roar of the thundering falls got loader and louder. Finally, the falls came into view and I was simply awestruck by their magnificence. You can admire the falls from several vantage points and there are some great photo opportunities.

On the way back from the falls, we took our time to enjoy the nature walk. A guide pointed out the interesting flora and fauna of the park, such as the golden frog that spends its entire life inside the water- collecting bromeliad plant. The guide also pointed out a mosquito eating plant that will hopefully reduce the number of these pesky critters in the area.

Also on the site, for those of you Canadians who were Pierre and Margaret Trudeau fans, is the lodge built for their honeymoon. It still serves as a lodge for visitors.

Kaieteur Falls Kaieteur Falls Not as scary as it looks. Horsing around at Kaieteur Falls. Maggie and Pierre's hide-away.
    • National/State Park

Birds

by grets Written Nov 3, 2004

There are over 800 different species of birds in Guyana, including the amazingly colourful Cock-of-the-Rock (see Kaieteur pages).

We saw very many birds everywhere we went, including:

Smooth billed Ani
    Snow egret
    Yellow headed vulture

Georgetown

by grets Written Nov 3, 2004

At 200,000 inhabitants, a multinational mix including large numbers of East Indian and native Americans, Georgetown is said to be the least densely inhabited capital in the world. It is also the largest city in Guyana, and its chief port.

Georgetown is located at the mouth of the Demarera River, where it joins the Atlantic Ocean. Many older buildings are raised on stilts above the flood level.Part of the city was destroyed by fire in 1945.

The city was founded in 1871, then called Demerera. It was renamed Georgetwon in 1812 when the British took over protectorate of Guyana, prveiously, under the Dutch, it was called Stabroek.

• MikeBird's Profile Photo

Stay at Eco-Lodges to help the community

by MikeBird Written Mar 24, 2015

One of the best features of my recent trip to Guyana was knowing that my fees, paid direct to a Guyanese tour operator would also be divided up amongst the various Eco-lodges I stayed at during my 12 day tour around the Rupununi district. I sensed the value of doing this most acutely at Surama Eco-Lodge which I understand has been recognised as a model example of how community involvement can lead towards benefiting the wider community through employment and lodge revenue which is dispersed across projects in the village.

As with all of the Eco-Lodges I loved the friendly nature of the staff, the clean, functional rooms and how our meals were prepared with care and imagination by the cooks. At Surama my Guide, Milner, was a mine of information and an essential part of finding ( and identifying) the wildlife. He had a wonderful welcoming, but authoritative, manner that enabled me to instantly feel at ease and confident that he knew what he was talking about. The managers I spoke to were also very friendly, helpful and interested in my feedback.

Surama is only a small lodge. It has two types of accommodation; the four, round thatched Benabs and the four bedroomed lodge each room with en-suite facilities. I suspect the Benabs would be more expensive because they are roomier but I was perfectly comfortable in my smaller room. I don't know the rates because I only paid a single upfront fee to my tour operator but I suspect they would be quite reasonably priced.

Each of the other lodges operated on a similar basis in terms of their governance and management namely local and community based. This was the case at Atta Lodge, Iwokrama River Lodge and Rewa Lodge. They each had trained, qualified staff who looked after the different aspects of running the Lodge and looking after the clients.The staff were usually from the local district and knew all about the local issues. I was particularly impressed and pleased with the quality of the guiding that I received throughout. They all seemed to be highly knowledgeable and patient with me. I had lots of questions and wanted to see everything, not just the birds. I found the Bullet Ants as fascinating and exciting as the Boa, the Cock-of-the-Rock and the Coati Mundis.

For me the biggest attraction of these Eco-Lodges is that they are small, not large and impersonal, where you feel you can get to know the staff and be happy knowing that your payments will directly support families in that village and help prevent the slow steady drift of youngsters towards the larger towns. In turn the villagers understand the value of conservation because they recognise that the foreign visitors are there mainly to experience their rich natural heritage that is all around them. It all makes perfect sense to me. I love this kind of tourism.

Benabs at Surama Eco-Lodge Surama Community Meeting Place and admin offices The 4 bedroomed Lodge at Surama The Village Hall and Youth Centre
    • Birdwatching

• MikeBird's Profile Photo

Take a trip to Kaieteur Falls

by MikeBird Written Mar 26, 2015

At weekends, when the airlines are more assured of filling all of their seats, it is possible to take a half day trip to Kaieteur Falls. Departing from Ogle Airport, which is just on the edge of Georgetown, you will fly into the small airstrip near the Falls and then walk the half mile or so to the first of several viewing points in order to get some fantastic photos. The aircraft will already have done at least one aerial circuit of the Falls in both directions so that both sides of the plane will have a chance to use their camera. You will also get to see the Potaro River both above and below the waterfall.

You will be shown the paths by National Park guides. The helpfulness of the guides seemed a little variable. I am sorry to say that the Guide of my group seemed particularly lacking in information. He did admit to being new in the role but I felt he still lacked a certain basic level of guiding skills - he took shelter from the rain leaving us to peer over the edge of the Falls. Fortunately the group ahead of me had a guide who could see that I was a birder ( the binoculars are a bit of a give away!) and so he explained the difference in the three species of Swifts that are to be seen around the Falls. At the end of the walk he also helpfully answered some of my bird related questions that my group guide could not answer.

One thing the group Guide found for us were some of the unique Golden Frogs that live only in the Bromeliad plants near to the Falls. These plants have leaves that form natural small pools in which the Golden Frogs are to be found. Only the plants found within reach of the spray and mist rising off the waterfall contained these 2cm long frogs.

The Falls are truly spectacular - as seen by the photos but I felt I was being hurried along a bit as I would have liked more time to linger and enjoy the moment. In the end we had about two hours in the Park which included a 15minute stop at the Park centre where we could buy a few souvenirs of our visit. Other members of my group seemed to enjoy their trip as did I even if I'd have happily stayed longer.

I understand it is possible to do 3 day hikes into the park and to stay finally at the Guesthouse which is located a short distance from the Falls. Maybe I should do that on a second visit?

Unfortunately I don't know the cost of my afternoon trip as it was covered by my single up-front price paid for my entire Guyana trip. By the way, if you want to see the Cock-of-the-Rock then you will have to go in the morning. Apparently the bird has its siesta in the afternoon. I was very disappointed at the time but fortunately I saw my 'target' bird later in the trip.

A long way down Kaieteur Falls from the Air The Falls from one of the viewpoints The Golden Frog in its Bromeliad plant The Kaieteur Rainforest

Guyana Hotels

• Herdmanston Lodge

65 Anira & Peter Rose Sts, opposite the Brazilian Ambassador's Residence, Georgetown, Guyana

Satisfaction: Excellent

Good for: Couples

• Takutu Hotel

They have A/C rooms and fan rooms. Comfortable enough if you are waiting for ongoing transportation....

• Princess Hotel Guyana International

Princess is equivalent to a Standard family hotel in Canada. Your not gonna get better than this in...

Top Guyana Hotels

Parika Hotels
New Amsterdam Hotels
1 Hotel

Instant Answers: Guyana

Comments

Guyana Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Guyana things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Guyana sightseeing.
Map of Guyana