Surama Village Local Customs

Local food
    by grets
    Fish pepperpot - not much left!
    Gary with his back pack and flip flops

Most Recent Local Customs in Surama Village

Pepperpot

by grets Written Oct 24, 2004

Fish pepperpot - not much left!

One of the most famous Guyanese delicasy is the pepperpot. It various from household to household, and can be made with beef, chicken or fish.

Veronica really wanted to share her traditions with visitors, but ours was the first group to whom she had dared to serve the pepperpot. The dish it is served in had been in her generation for centuries, and she was very fond of it. The recipe is her own, with fish and fiery little chillies (the small yellow "bits" in the bowl that look like sweetcorn - my were they HOT!!!!). The dish is served with thin, crispy cassawa bread, and is absolutely delicious! Veronica was very nervous to see what our reaction would be like, and she was so pleased that we appreciated her traditional cooking, that she has decided to make it a regular feature with tour groups!

Locally grown vegetables

by grets Updated Oct 24, 2004

Local food

I returned back early from the trek because of a bad stomach. The trek was meant to be linear - 6 miles in each direction - and after about four miles or so I felt a bit of a rumble in my tummy and decided to turn back.

Walking through the jungle on my own was really magical, just me and the sights and sounds of the virgin rain forest. Wow!

As it turned out, the others got a lifet back to base with the truck which delivered their lunch - so in fact they only walked around 6 miles, whereas I turned round after four, plus another four back, hence I actually walked much further than the others! Doh.

Anyway, when I got back to the guest house, Veronica, the cook, brought me my lunch to the room. Not feeling too great I really didn't do it justice. All the vegetables are locally grown, there is no such thing as popping to the shops for a last minute purchase, not are there any freezers to preserve meat or veg. Most families only hunt wild animals as and when they intend to eat them, and then sell the remainder of the meat to the other villagers.

My lunch consisted of:

Eddoe - the grey veggie bottom right
    Plantain - the yellow stuff bottom left
    Pumpkin - the orange stuff
    Okra - the green vegetables
    Pumpkin cake on the left.

The sauce on top of the vegetables was made from coconut.

Gary, the local guide..

by grets Written Oct 24, 2004

Gary with his back pack and flip flops

While we were sporting the last gear in ruck sacks, our trusted guide Gary had a very traditional - and very useful - back pack. Made from rattan or similar, it held water and other provisions.

Also, while the rest of us were dressed in heavy walking boots, Gary negotiated the trails in flip-flops.

Why is it local people always make me feel so inferior? hahaha

Instant Answers: Surama Village

Comments

Surama Village Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Surama Village local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Surama Village sightseeing.

View all Surama Village hotels