Surama Village Nightlife

Eating my soup!

Most Recent Nightlife in Surama Village

From the camp: Carahaa - nocturnal walk

Nocturnal walk

From the camp we walked along the trails of the forest. Wearing a head torch attracted all sorts of insects, so they then congregated around your face, and you would breathe them in as you walked. Yuk.

Didn't see many nocturnal creatures, I did come across a night jar on my way to the latrine in the night, and we saw some spiders and frogs, that's all.

Burro Burro River: Carahaa - nocturnal boat trip

Nocturnal boat trip

Another popular activity during the hours of darkness, is a boat trip on the river. There are many creatures who come out during the night, but our main wildlife spotting was the spectacles Caiman.

I really loved the eerie silence and total darkness, 17 people plus guide and boatmen, all completely quiet. Absolutely amazing!

• Sailing and Boating

At the camp: Carahaa - sleeping arrangements

Hammocks in the night

A good torch is imperative here, and also keeping some sort of order on your belongings, as it gets very, very dark. When we got up in the morning, while still dark, I couldn't find my glasses. They had fallen off the back pack, upon which I had carefully perched them, and had travelled some distance into the jungle. As I can't see very well without them, I had to enlist David's help in looking for them.

During the night I heard footsteps on the ground between me and the jungle. I was dying to shine my torch to see if it was some wild animal, but afraid to do so in case it was one of the staff who were just relieving themsleves! That could have been very embarrassing!

by the hammocks # 2: Carahaa - nightlife

Chatting in the night

Sitting around chatting, looking at the stars or listening to the sounds of the jungle, are the main occupations during the hours of darkness. The stars are absolutely amazing here, so bright and so numerous.

Here we are sat by the hammocks, just enjoying the jungle experience.

Dress Code: Long sleeved trousers and shirts are recommended to keep the mosquitos away. A head torch is useful for finding your way about. Sturdy shoes or boots make walking on the uneven ground much easier.

By the hammocks!: Carahaa - dinner

Eating my soup!

The choice of what to occupy yourself with at night here in Carahaa is rather limited. Not long after sundown, dinner is served, that probably si the highlight of the evening! A couple of benches are provided to sit on, alternatively, a fallen log will do.

• grets's Profile Photo

In the sky!: Nature's night time displays

Sunset over Essequibo River

I am a real sucker for sunsets, and more often than not include one in my Nightlife tips. Nothing can be better than watching nature's own display!

Also of great pleasure during our stay in Surama, was to watch the fire flies. These tiny little insects flit about the sky, twinkling like thousands of Christmas lights.

However, my all time favourite nightime actvitiy here in the wilderness, was watching the stars at night. With no light pollution, the sky appears to be completely full of stars - stars that you never see at home. You could easily see the Milky Way too, and trying to identify the various constellations is great fun. I could spend hours just gazing at the sky at night - absolutely magical.

• National/State Park

Instant Answers: Surama Village

Comments

Surama Village Nightlife

Reviews and photos of Surama Village nightlife posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Surama Village sightseeing.

View all Surama Village hotels