Chachapoyas Warnings and Dangers

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Chachapoyas

• swesn's Profile Photo

VOMIT BAGS

by swesn Updated Dec 30, 2007

Heading out of Chachapoyas, it was more than 5 hours of the *by now* usual horrendously bumpy roads. I was jiggling all over. When we finally reached asphalt, the bus driver actually stopped the bus for a break.

Yes, for me, it was "Thank god for asphalt!! Let me kiss the damn road!".

Yet, it was at this point that the little bus-stewardess started distributing vomit bags around to all the passengers.

What? This was strange, come on... from this point onwards to Trujillo, it is on wonderfully PAVED road, why do you need vomit bags?

Oh well, the passengers, coming from Chachapoyas, are actually USED TO the horrendous bumpy roads. But, now, speeding and spinning down on asphalt and windy mountainous roads, at that, they can't cope!! Truly, soon, one by one, some of the passengers (not all, of course) were puking into the bags. Eeewwww...

Try to find a way to keep the stench away because when you smell it, you too may reach for the bag.

• swesn's Profile Photo

BUMPY ROADS

by swesn Written Dec 27, 2007

As you take the bus from Chiclayo to Chachapoyas, about half of the bus journey is on asphalt road, but the other half is windy mountainous and very bumpy potholed road. I guarantee you will not sleep a wink for at least 5 hours.

To get around the various sights, as explained, you most likely need to hire a taxi and the drive to each sight is about 2-3 hours one way. The mountain road is generally quite narrow, enough for 1 vehicle. Whenever, through the bends, you spot another vehicle approaching, the one who is nearer to a 'spare' area will back his vehicle down that way and wait for the other to pass. There were moments when the 2 vehicles turned the corner and VERY NEARLY CRASHED HEADLONG to each other!!!

Some of the trucks are MASSIVE MASSIVE MASSIVE, with passengers sitting at the top. My heart went cold so many times, watching these HUGE and TALL trucks with high centre of gravity swaying and nearly tipping over the edge, as they negotiated the gigantic potholes.

Yeap, potholes are everywhere. For the 2-3 hours' ride, you will be bumped and bumped and bumped. You can't hold a conversation, sleep, or read. You just watch in terror at what lies ahead. When you arrive at your destination, heheee... your butt will be pretty sore, I think.

• darthmilmo's Profile Photo

Careful with the Kick-boxing Llamas :)

by darthmilmo Written Oct 11, 2002

llama

I'm being serious folks :). I was petting, chatting so to speak, with a lovely white llama outside the fortress of Kuelap, when out of the blue a friend called me. So, I gave my back to the llama and out from behind it gave me a hard kick off my butt. Lucky for me I had my backpack on so rather than fealing the kick, it felt more like an abrupt push from behind. Let me tell you thought, it'll make for a nice story to tell the kids some day.

Instant Answers: Chachapoyas

Comments

Chachapoyas Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Chachapoyas warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Chachapoyas sightseeing.