Luggage and bags:
big backpacks are the best to carry to huaraz. Remember It is a mountaneering town. Or you can bring on big suitcase that you can leave on your hotel and a backpack that you will take to your 1 or 2 day trips
Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: * sneakers or trekking shoes with supporting ankle a must (there is a lot to walk and a lot to see)
* several t-shirts , at least one long sleeve termal not to heavy to keep you warm at night or early morning. once you go back you can give away your t-shirts
*bathing suit there will be plenty of opportunities to swim in the termal waters or white water rafting , etc.
* A medium size light backpack to carry your items on a one day trip
* snow clothing (pants or overall) if you are planning to go iceclimbing
*snow jacket very handy on cold nights and to go trekking overnight
* light socks , since you can purchase a good wool sock handmade and cheap
* sun block and lip protector the mid day sun rays are strong
* sun glasses. no matter if you are in Huaraz during the winter you will have sunlight
Toiletries and Medical Supplies: hair conditioner, if you have long hair , there are not good hair conditioners for sale in peru
*tylenol or something that you are used to for aches and pains otherwise you can buy almost anything in the pharmacies cheaper than in the USA. the pharmacists are kind of like doctors, they prescribe.
* your perfume, body lotion etc try to bring it in an unbreakable form
Photo Equipment: a must bring your camera with sufficient film, memory cards , batteries etc. there will be places where there is no electrical outlets to recharge your equipment
Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: towel towel bring your towel
bring water sandles
Miscellaneous: bring tons of pens and pencils that you can spare and give away as a kind gesture to those who help you. any gift of that type is really appreciated by the locals. just because it is different of has inscriptions in english
Photo Equipment: 100 ASA film is perfect for the sunny skies of Huaraz and the Cordillera Blanca and invest in a circular polarizer to cut down on the glare that comes with it.