Chinchero Travel Guide

The Main Square
    by ValbyDK
    Beautiful view of 'the Sacred Valley'
    The main square

Chinchero Things to Do

by ValbyDK Updated Aug 4, 2012

The old colonial church at the city’s main square was built in the early 17th century. The church looks ordinary and rather rustic from the outside, but inside it is magnificent. The walls and ceilings are covered with incredible wall paintings and frescoes. This is a must-see in Chinchero…

No photos inside the church, but you can find postcards of the church’s interior at the souvenir stalls at ‘Plaza de Armas’.

Old Colonial Church Old Colonial Church Old Colonial Church
    • Religious Travel

by ValbyDK Updated Aug 4, 2012

Behind the old colonial church in Chinchero there are some ancient agricultural terraces. They dates back to Inca times, but actually they are still used by local farmers today.

It is a good place to take a short break and enjoy the beautiful view of 'the Sacred Valley' and the surrounding mountains...

Agricultural Terraces Agricultural Terraces View of the valley
    • Archeology

by ValbyDK Updated Aug 4, 2012

We started our sightseeing in Chinchero at the 'Plaza de Armas’, where a few souvenir sellers had set up their stalls. I was told that on Sundays, the square is transformed into a giant market place but we visited Chinchero on a Friday, and only met a few souvenir sellers...

The city’s main square is surrounded by ancient Inca walls, and an old church (read my other tips) is located at the end of 'Plaza de Armas’.

The main square Ancient wall
    • Architecture

Chinchero Off The Beaten Path

• sacdrummer99's Profile Photo

by sacdrummer99 Written Mar 23, 2005

I had a real good experience with my full day "Sacred Valley Tour", It was a lot to do and see in one day and a lot of driving. It did not give me the opportunity to explore and spend the amount of time in each of the areas as I would have liked. Most of the tours in the Sacred Valley operate three days a week, and you can tour some of the ruins on 'off' days, virtually by yourself. These sidetrips proved to be some of my most magical of times in Peru. Talking in my limited Spanish with the local children out on school break was worth a hundred guided tours or museums. In Chinchero, (also some time spelled Chincheros/Chincheras) I was fortunate to arrive on a non-market day. The feeling of the village was completely different. No one checked my ticket and I wandered the Inca ruins, drinking in sweeping, panoramic views of the Andes and the far off sound of agrarian life taking place on the valley floor hundreds of meters below. Sounds of young laughing Quechuan Natives wafted from above. It felt so different, I an unnoticed exotic, priviledged to watch a way of life that had been going on for how many centuries? A group of youngsters gathering the materials used for the natural dyes worked their way up the terraced valley and saw me unexpectedly sitting there. Eventually they aproached and I was shown some of the spinning and weaving techniques. Later I was invited back to their modest home after purchasing a very few soles worth of textiles. At this point I was quite hungry and inquired where I might eat and was served a potato soup with herbs, a plate of rice and a portion of some small bird (chicken perhaps??)for 3 soles, about 80 cents American. The soup was quite tasty and I managed to muddle down the little creature by not looking at it too closely.

carnival above chincheros
    • Archeology
    • Eco-Tourism

Instant Answers: Chinchero

Comments

Chinchero Travel Guide
Map of Chinchero