Local Culture, Cusco

by Jim_Eliason
  • andal13's Profile Photo

Children

by andal13 Written Jul 7, 2003

Ni��os cusque��os, llamas y yo

You will find children any where you go; they do different services for coins: guide, play music, sell different stuff.

Encontrarás niños por donde quiera que vayas; ellos realizan distintos servicios a cargo de unas monedas: guiar a los turistas, tocar instrumentos, vender todo tipo de cosas.

• crummey's Profile Photo

Opinions about Peru

by crummey Updated Mar 5, 2004

Llama crossing

Now, what are my opinions of Peru?

Yes, the telephones and toilets and sinks andfaucets very often do not work

And yes there are computer terminals in every town of any substance, and chinese restaurants too.

And yes, the lager towns have their own Chinatowns.

And yes the Chinese food can be cheaper in North America or Europe.

And yes the lucky people live in concrete and cinderblock buildings.

And yes, the unlucky ones live in mud or thatch with their animals.

And yes they sh*t on the street and p*ss on the street.

And Yes they think Gringos are stupid and rich.

And Yes, if they thought gringos were smart then they might ty to emulate us and give their people clean water.

And yes, they love to rob tourists.

And yes they think every tourist came to this country simply to become a cocaine addict.

And yes they serve instant coffee in the restaurants, even though coffee is from Peru and they could easily brew real coffee.

And they Hate Gringo. They HATE gringos for three reasons: they think we are rich, they think we are arrogant and they think we want to sleep with their women.

But they love gringos. They LOVE gringos for three reasons: they think we are rich, they think we are arrogant and they think we want to sleep with their women. I think there is a bit of a paradox there, dont you?

And that is Peru, or atleast the Peru I know...perhaps there is another peru.

• VolsUT's Profile Photo

Large bags of coca for sale

by VolsUT Written Jul 1, 2006

The woman in this picture is selling garbage bags fill of coca. The thoght of that was at first strange but then I unamericanized my feelings a bit and it was more normal. Coca is lardly made to make Coca tea not cocaine. The tea is pretty good, it tastes kinda sweet without any sugar and I really wish I would have brought some home with me.

• raraavis's Profile Photo

La Bajada de Los Reyes (Arrival of 3 wise men)

by raraavis Written Dec 2, 2005

On January 6th -- La Bajada de Los Reyes -- locals attend mass in the Catholic Church.

We had ventured into (for lack of better words) the "real Cusco" away from tourists. When we walked by the cathedral, we noticed a group children selling adorable doll-size costumes. So we asked them what the clothes are for. They told us it's for baby Jesus. As we stood outside of the cathedral, we noticed women and children carrying elaborately decorated baskets with dolls dressed in festive costumes, i.e. princess, bull fighter, king, etc. These dolls signify baby Jesus. Mass attendees bring baby Jesus to worship with them.

Inquisitive minds want to know. We decided to attend mass as well. Interesting experience despite the fact I understood very little of what the priest said.

• Religious Travel

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo

by Jim_Eliason Written Sep 13, 2004

Traditional dress

Many of the locals particularly children dress in traditional dress for tourists. A small donation is expected in exchange for a photo. Totally a tourist trap I know but the kids are so cute.

Instant Answers: Cusco