Local Food, Cusco

Know about this?

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo

cuy or guinea pig...it's a treat

by easterntrekker Written Oct 15, 2006

We had to try some and it did taste like a cross between chicken and pork. It's a delicacy and is usually the most expensive thing on the menu.

Even though it tasted rgood especially the crispy skin ...I just would never get used to eating something that can look back at me. Its head was still on !!

• AKtravelers's Profile Photo

Cuy (Guinea Pig) is a Time-Honored Delicacy

by AKtravelers Written Feb 26, 2005

Trying futily to eat cuy with manners

Guinea pig (Cuy in Spanish) has been a delicay in the Andes for over a thousand years. In fact, it is so highly regarded as a food that Cusco painters included cuy at the Last Supper in the large canvas of the event hanging in the Cathedral (see "The Must-See section). So, if you are an adventurous eater, it's something you just have to try the cuy -- preferably right before a Cathedral visit!
    Sarah and I ate our cuy at the Inka Grill on Plaza de Armas. So, unlike some photos we've seen, our plate of did not come whole with teeth and a head (too bad) but came in parts as if we had gone to Kentucky Fried Cuy (though it was baked). It also comes with finger bowls, as you are expected to eat it with your hands. I tried to be more civilized about it, but my fork and knife proved to be ineffective weapons against the tough, sinewy flesh, so after cutting off a few tiny pieces, I dropped my utensils and started gnawing away. It tasted okay and, possibly because of its chewiness, it proved very filling. Neither Sarah nor I were hungry until 8 p.m.

• kare_ab's Profile Photo

e.g. Aji de Gallina

by kare_ab Written Jan 5, 2005

For most European is quite a strange combination to eat rice and potatoes together, however it's tasty! :-D

Whenever possible try something new. Most dishes taste nicer then they might look like. (pics of "Aij de Gallina")

In most restaurants you can get menus way cheaper then a "normal" dish. (for around 2-3 Soles)

• kare_ab's Profile Photo

Fruits

by kare_ab Written Jan 5, 2005

I know, I know, how is it going?

Peel it, fry it or leave it..
    Of course, that's true and yes you should be careful what you eat, BUT ehm, how is the other one going?

No risk no fun?
    In comparison to Switzerland, all kind of fruits are just a lot fresher!!! Pears, apples, grapes, strawberry, ... mhm... yummy! Try them, eat them and enjoy them! :-D

(I know, there are other fruits, which you can peel and that are yummy too :-D)

• jackfruit's Profile Photo

Cuy

by jackfruit Updated Jan 28, 2004

Roasted Guinea Pig served spread eagle style on a plate is the local delicacy. Cuy, as it's called in quechua, is served at celebratory events like weddings and parties but you can find most restaurants serving this dish in Cusco. It is usually served whole - tail, eyes, nose and all and one glance at it all but killed my entire apetite...

This local delicacy has been immortalized by the painter Marcos Zapata (a local artist from the surrounding area) in La Cathedral's "Last Supper" where Jesus and the 12 apostles feed on cuy for thier last meal together!!

Guinea pigs are bred by the locals especially for the dinner table and not as pets, like in the US!

• siver's Profile Photo

local food:guinea pig,alpaca,beef heart,cookie

by siver Written Apr 5, 2007

we tried all these, i also like the peruian dark beer, my husband would let me say it is better than Guinness. we did not try the 'tranditional beer'

• VolsUT's Profile Photo

Try the Gui

by VolsUT Written Nov 23, 2006

Don't you want to eat me?

When in the Peruvian Andes you have to try the Gui or as everyone else calls it Guinea pig. It is a bit diffacult to look at and it doesn't have much meat on it but it is worth the expierence.

Instant Answers: Cusco