Mama Africa Disco, Cusco

Know about this? Rate It!

weird candle and ooops booze
    by gonzo747
    Mi mates acting like idiots
    by gonzo747
    Live band at Mama Africa
    by chancay
  • IncaKola's Profile Photo

Mama Africa Disco: Backpacker night scene

by IncaKola Updated Mar 1, 2011

I have visited the several locations of Mama Africa (moved several times) and it definitely isn't my cup of tea. It wasn't in the past and it won't be in the future.
    Large crowds of backpackers, bricheras, bricheros drinking and dancing.
    It's cheaper than other discos in Cusco but I prefer Ukukus, Kamikase and Caos.

Dress Code: Especially don't go with a tie but whoever travels with a tie.

• rhdknox's Profile Photo

Mama Africa Disco: Best nights in town

by rhdknox Updated Mar 13, 2007

I actually worked here back in 2003 and it was the best job I've ever had. If you are up for a very drunken night with gringos and locals alike or looking for an easy place to score then this is the place for you. Just remember to tip generously (when I was there we were paid 20 soles (about $6) working from nine until about 7am)!

• profeanna's Profile Photo

Mama Africa Disco: Money

by profeanna Written Feb 7, 2007

I agree that Mama Africa is a great place to go. I noticed that someone posted that they never got their change back when they paid with 50-100 soles. This is probably partly due to the fact that a lot of places do not have that much change. It is always a good idea to keep a lot of small bills. If you get a 50 or 100 from the ATM I suggest taking it to the bank immediately and changing it for smaller bills and coins. I personally never carried anything over a 20 and I never had a problem with not getting my change.

• Mama Africa Disco: Good for dancing but most expensive drinks ever!

by burket Updated Oct 23, 2006

The other comments are true. I was at Mama Africa this weekend in Cusco and you will meet lots of other backpackers as well as some locals. It´s a meat market but you can get over that.

The only really bad side to it which ruined our night there was the fact that you don´t get change. I paid 50 soles (about 17 US$) for a bottle of water which was supposed to cost 5 soles. I asked for my change (in Spanish and English) but was completely ignored. Another of my friends ordered a rum and coke and a water and go NO CHANGE out of 100 soles (over 30 US$). She asked to speak with the bar manager when the bar staff refused to speak with her for her change but he said they were too busy to deal with it.

I did think we just had a run of very bad luck but I have since heard alot of people (all tourists) say that they have been ripped off with change to some degree.

All in all a very expensive night.

• Mountain Climbing
    • Hiking and Walking

• Mama Africa Disco: Popular dance'club'

by IamCdn Written Dec 29, 2004

Mama Africa is a dance bar centrally-located (of course - everything touristy is in Cusco) and quite popular particularly among the younger crowd - especially backpackers. It's pretty much the first nightclub you hear about once you get to Cusco and is pretty packed on weekends. Cover charged after 11pm.

Dress Code: absolutely not

• chancay's Profile Photo

Mama Africa: One of these numerous bars and discos -Mama Africa

by chancay Updated Jun 15, 2003

Live band at Mama Africa

Always big party!! FUN FUN!

Mama Africa is one of the most famous discos in Cusco. Most of peruvian tourists visit this place too. You meet here tourists from all over the world an as well peruvian ones

• gonzo747's Profile Photo

Mama Africa Disco: drink and dance and act silly

by gonzo747 Written Jan 12, 2006
    weird candle and ooops booze

We ended up two times in mama africa. The beers are expensive (go for the cuba libres) but we had a ball (both nights)

Instant Answers: Cusco