Pacha Papa, Cusco

4.5 out of 5 stars 4.5 Stars - 5 Reviews

Plazoleta San Blas 120 608142

• Pacha Papa
    by AVSENT
    who took a bite out of the causa!?!
    by Urzu
  • Pacha Papa
    by Urzu
  • AVSENT's Profile Photo

Pacha Papa: Good Food

by AVSENT Updated Jan 7, 2014

The evening after going to Machu Pichu, I went to this restaurant Pachapapa on the recommendation of the hotel I was staying at. The hotel provided the transportation so, it was an easy choice. i didn't want to explain directions to a taxi driver. I decided on the Lomo Saltado (I've never had it). The wait was not long (as expected on a rainy night-and somewhat late) and the plate arrived full of rice with grilled beef and vegetables (onions, tomatoes) and some french fries. It was a simple dish and tasted great. Nicely seasoned tender beef grilled with onions and tomatoes, it reminded me of soupy fajita beef. It went down well with an ice cold coca cola. Although. it might be pricey comparing it to other local places but, I was happy the meal was no more expensive or less than in the States. I can highly recommend this place. The waiter spoke English fairly well for tourists. He called my hotel for my return trip and after a short wait I went back to my lodging.

• Photography

• Urzu's Profile Photo

Pacha Papa: Traditional food

by Urzu Written Jul 29, 2008

This was the first restaurant we went to in Cusco, maybe more expensive than many other local restaurants, but definitelly a nice place to have lunch or dinner. You will find traditional peruvian dishes in the menu, though if you don't eat meat you might have trouble there! There is however also trout in the menu. We had different entrances to share, which were quite nice, and I had the trout which was delicious.
    The restaurant has a wood over to make the meat, but beware that if you're plannig on having cuy there, you have to call and say so a day in advance!!

• hethbill's Profile Photo

Pacha Papa: Pacha Papa in San Blas

by hethbill Updated Aug 21, 2006

The cuy - guinea pig. Pretty tough, but not bad.

I really liked Pacha Papa - it was our first restaurant in Cusco and it had great atmosphere. Most of the seats are in the courtyard, so it's open-air, and it got chilly! If you're there in July/august, be sure to bring your jacket. Most people in our group enjoyed their food, but the alpaca was too salty, and the cuy (guina pig) was REALLY tough. maybe it's supposed to be though.

Favorite Dish: I had the lomo saltado - it was scrumpious. basically it's stir fried beef with rice, nothing too crazy.

• stripeykelly's Profile Photo

Pacha Papas: Terrific Trout

by stripeykelly Written Nov 26, 2005

Tucked on the San Blas square, you entre through a passageway that has some rather beautiful jewellery, before going into the courtyard, which has an open wood stove and you can also sit there. We sat out, near the stove and under the stars. It offers the usual food that you get in the ?traditional? restaurants in Cusco, guinea pig, various fish etc. The trout though was the best I have eaten so far.

I ordered the trout baked with wild fennel. It was beautiful, baked to perfection in the wood stove, moist and sweet, with perfectly cooked veg and lovely creamy mashed potatoes. The portions are of a good size, but the tast is lovely.

Favorite Dish: Trout with wild fennel. As above, sweet, moist and whole! With the perfect vegetable accompaniments.

• jglsongs's Profile Photo

Pacha Papa: the perfect place for a perfect dinner

by jglsongs Written Aug 7, 2005

When you walk into Pacha Papa, you walk through a short corridor to a courtyard with tables and a big stone-fire oven. Take a quick left through the door, and you're in the restaurant room - homey, cozy and woody with a fireplace (more like one of those old stoves, but it works).

Favorite Dish: The menu is a big selection of authentic Peruvian comfort food (except surprisingly no dishes with quinoa, at least the 3 times I went there - one of which I was itching for quinoa soup).

Just go - get a mug of chica de jora and bon app├ętit! (Also a great place to make new friends - the dining room is small, and conversations with neighbors is inevitable.)

• Beer Tasting