Mercado Central - Central Market, Cusco

• Mercado Central - Central Market
    by malianrob
  • Mercado Central - Central Market
    by malianrob
  • The smell of the meat I will never forget.
    The smell of the meat I will never...
    by VolsUT
  • MookFamily's Profile Photo

Central Market with a local guide

by MookFamily Written May 6, 2009

Not exactly a tourist spot, but the central market is a bustling place where you can find a series of small inexpensive restaurants, juice bars, fresh produce that includes papayas the size of watermelons and watermelons the size of pineapples. While we were told meat generally is not a large part of the Peruvian diet, you wouldn't know by the large selection of unusually body parts from unusual animals. We had heard that there were hundreds of types of potatoes. But seeing the vast variety in person sold by their well worn farmers was far more interesting.

And unlike the central square and other touristy areas, the vendors were completely laid back. For 1 sole, we had a great fruit drinks made from a nice variety of fresh fruits. Since we had arranged for local guide through Kensington tours, we had a local who was able to explain the purpose of a wide variety of medical plants and learn about specialty foods for different occasions.

• malianrob's Profile Photo

Mercado Central

by malianrob Written Nov 11, 2007

We decided to walk to the central market to check it out. There wasnt too many tourist at all here and it looked more like a local place. It is pretty big and toward the entrance is the touristy type of souveniers. Then as you go down the rows you get to the meat markets, then the flowers area, then the food stands. I liked it here but Adrianna started to get sick here. She didnt like to see the whole pigs, and the uncooked chickens. Or maybe it was the frog soup? We saw the frogs swimming in buckets getting ready to be cooked. I think all that freaked her out.
    There were rows and rows of people selling different types of potatoes and different types of grains. This place had a very authentic feel to it and everyone eatting here in the food stands appeared to be locals

• VolsUT's Profile Photo

The Market

by VolsUT Updated Jun 28, 2006

The Market is one of the neatest things I have ever seen. The fruits and vegitables for sale there were like nothing I had ever seen before! The meat market was the most revolting thing I have ever smelled and so unsanitary I could not walk away out of amazement. There was also an area where cooked food was sold that was very strange but also diffacult to leave. Many locals work in the market making baskets or other crafts and the clothing they were including no shoes is what their ancesters would have worn long ago. (Obviously only 1-2 hundred years ago)I just wanted to stay there for hours and watch the things that went on in that market.

Instant Answers: Cusco