Places to eat in Machu Picchu

Ruben and the food tent
    Our porters on the Inca Trail
    by kiwigal_1
    Our group inside the food tent

Most Viewed Restaurants in Machu Picchu

• AVSENT's Profile Photo

Better Than You Might Think: Machu Pichu Snack Bar

by AVSENT Updated Jan 15, 2014

After seeing Machu Pichu, i stopped here to get a burger as it started raining and the queue for the bus was starting to get long. When it comes to food, I try not to put it off as the situation may get worse. I found the burger to be acceptable (local seasoning-but not bad). It hit the spot and went well with a cold coke. The price was pretty reasonable for a tourist trap (or as expected)- which helped justify the break. They have pre-made sandwiches/made to order and other snacks. The prices are current for Dec. 2013. Great valley views here.

Favorite Dish: Hamburger but, not alpaca burger (it is available). Supposedly, the 3rd item (machu pichu burger) is alpaca.

Order Here Pre-made

• UNITED MICE TOUR OPERATOR: AVOID UNITED MICE

by zrchance Written Jul 22, 2010

AVOID UNITED MICE:

I just recently returned from Peru to do the Salkantay Trek. We booked with United Mice online before we left for the trek, about one month prior to our departure. They charged us $385 (student). Upon arriving we realized they RIPPED US OFF. The exact same trek can be purchased for $150. Treks leave everyday from Cuzco. There is NO need to book ahead. Just show up a couple days early and shop around. We ended ditching our deposit, which United Mice was happy to take and went with another operator and still saved $100 a person. AVOID UNITED MICE THEY WILL RIP YOU OFF WITH A HEARTLESS ATTITUDE.

• kiwigal_1's Profile Photo

Inca Trail Guides

by kiwigal_1 Updated Apr 21, 2009

On the Inca Trail there aren't restaurants per se but our guides/porters treated us really well with good meals three times a day. It was served inside this tent and we always ate with Ruben, our guide.

Before all our meals they put out indivual bowls of water for us to wash our hands and faces in.

Favorite Dish: We ate things like chicken, spaghetti bolagnaise, cereal, coca tea etc.

Ruben and the food tent Our porters on the Inca Trail Our group inside the food tent The porters and cook at the lunch site

• nattybabe's Profile Photo

Expensive Cafe at Machu Picchu

by nattybabe Written Feb 5, 2007

There was only one cafe/restaurant/fast food place at Machu Picchu. As it has the monopoly it unfortunately can charge whatever it feels like. It serves sandwiches, hot food like chips as well as crisps, chocolates and drinks (hot and cold).

It's a nice place to sit and have a break though as it has numerous tables and chairs for the masses of tourist who pass through everyday. It is also close to the bus stop so it's a convenient place to wait.

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo

Local spots: Stop by the rail tracks

by easterntrekker Written Oct 14, 2006

When you return from the ruins , allow time if you can to stop for a bite at one of the many little restaurants that line the street in Aguas Calientes.They are tiny local spots ans often the children of the owners act as the salesmen with menus to entice you in .

The food is simple and you can look over what the patrons at the little tables are eating to take your pick.

Favorite Dish: We had the pizza and it was raelly good.

• Archeology

• kzapanta's Profile Photo

All restaurants: General warning in Agua Caliente

by kzapanta Updated Oct 4, 2006

We tried three restaurants in Agua Caliente and honestly its not worth rating or posting any of them even if I could remember the names of the restaurants.

I just wanted to warn everyone out there. If your not used to traveling in areas where you are constantly "called over", being solicited on the street to try thier restaurant. Get ready. Every street is filled with restaurants. And the prices for the set menu "tourista menu" is overpriced.

Establishments are clean and well sanitized. No problem there.

Favorite Dish: This is the cuy, guinea pig, on the first restaurant we went to. As you can see its not very big or filling. People in VT said its tastes like chicken. I disagree. It's more like pig knuckle meat, very tendony.

• Trains

• sfphototraveller's Profile Photo

INDIA FELIZ at Aguas Calinte: GREAT Peruivan-french style food

by sfphototraveller Updated Aug 13, 2006

Great food at preset price.
    They have a small fireplace with a table next to it.
    The steak I had was great.

I heard some customers talk about the deserts. She said the Chocolate Mouse is to die for.
    I had already order the fruit so i couldnt tell.

Pic of painting on wall next to India Feliz Another pic on wall next to India Feliz Another Pic of painting near India Feliz
    • Archeology
    • National/State Park

• ryuhome's Profile Photo

Indio Feliz: Indio Feliz

by ryuhome Written Sep 3, 2005

Hands down the classiest resturant in Aguas Clientes. Their food has a touch of French influence to it. They're good. I found the highly recommended ginger chicken and their apple pie slightly over-rated though. The restuarant owner is very friendly.

Favorite Dish: Mango Trucha

• cruisingbug's Profile Photo

Restaurant El Candamo: Friendly Service in a Relaxing Atmosphere

by cruisingbug Updated Feb 25, 2005

We'd read a good review of this restaurant online, and had looked at other menus along the street before deciding to go ahead in, even though it was a little more expensive. The waitress was friendly and the service was great.

Credit cards are accepted, with a 10% surcharge.

Favorite Dish: I had decided not to sample the cuy (guinea pig), but the barbecued alpaca ($9) sounded pretty good. I started with a shot of pisco (wondered what it tasted like outside a pisco sour - pretty much like tequila). The waitress seemed surprised that I wanted it straight - I guess I don't look like much of a drinker.

The alpaca was quite good - lean, but not too chewy, and with a tasty blend of spices. Fries on the side, and she even brought some ketchup (pronounced differently - it took me a few moments to figure out what she was offering).

Pizzas were also on the menu, which is what hubby had and enjoyed (see the wood-fired oven in the background of the picture).

Restaurant El Candamo, Aguas Calientes, Peru

• neilward's Profile Photo

Inca Planet: Great hot chocolate

by neilward Written Oct 22, 2004

Favorite Dish: I know I know "you cant go to Peru and have a hot chocolate!!!!"
    But I can ...and I did,its just something I fancied,and for some of you fellow VTers have read any of my other pages,you`ll know that I am partial to the odd hot chocolate or 4.Prague,Venice,Strasbourg,Paris and now Aguas Calientes.
    But it was nice,and thats where I left my Union Jack flag,behind the bar as a reminder of the mad Englishman who came all the way to Peru,saw a few ruins had a hot chocolate and left !!!!.

Great hot chocolate....

• MrRandMcnally's Profile Photo

Tuyo's Mio: Good food by the River

by MrRandMcnally Written Jan 17, 2006

A nice place to eat local food, and enjoy the river while resting up for a climb up a mountian.

Favorite Dish: The trout is really good.

View from the Tuyo's Mio

Latest: Jul 13, 2014
Rupawasi Condor House
1 Review & Opinion

Instant Answers: Machu Picchu

Comments

Machu Picchu Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Machu Picchu locals.
Map of Machu Picchu