Huayna Picchu, Machu Picchu

by MJL
    What's on top of Huayna Picchu, Peru
    by jumpingnorman
  • Going up jutting peak Huayna Picchu, Peru
    Going up jutting peak Huayna Picchu,...
    by jumpingnorman
  • MJL's Profile Photo

Only for fittest

by MJL Written Mar 15, 2010

You will have to climb for a very narrow path, it will take you 45 minutes to 1 ½ hour to complete it and you will arrive to a plce where you will see and amazing landscape of Machu Picchu Citadel, it will take you 45 minutes to go down. The time depends of you physical condition.

There is also A Temple of Moon, but The track to the temple of the moon is hard, with steps during the whole trek; the average time that one has to trek to arrive and come back to Wayna Picchu is 3 hours.

You can enter from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. and it closes at 5 p.m.

• Huchuy Picchu

by smf834 Updated Jun 3, 2009

Almost at the top of Huchuy, background is Huayna

Most of the hikers choose to go to Huayna because it's the most famous in Machu Picchu area, but there's also the little Huchuy Picchu that you can also go up. When you descend about halfway to the split, you'll see a sign to direct you to Huchuy, which is a bit shorter, but personally, I think has a better vantage view of the lost city. The last few minutes of the hike to the top require the use of rope, so it's not for everyone. But it's less crowded, and highly recommended if you have the energy after climbing the bigger Huayna.

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo

Extra climbing at Huaynu Pichu -- Moon Temple!

by jumpingnorman Written Jan 31, 2009

What's on top of Huayna Picchu, Peru

If you’re not in a rush to go down from Huayna Picchu, there is also an alternate route to the great cave of the Moon Temple. Ladders are involved to go down to the great cave and some people might find it difficult to do the narrow Cliffside staircase (fear of heights).

And then after reaching the Moon Temple, you have to go back up again to the original path because the great cave is at a lower altitude. So, because of this tiring up and down, up and down route, people just skip the Moon Cave. And guess what, I was one of them, hehehe…. (lazy bum)

• Mountain Climbing

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo

Go up jutting peak you see on pics of Machu Pich

by jumpingnorman Updated Jan 31, 2009

Going up jutting peak Huayna Picchu, Peru

After seeing the Machu Picchu the previous day, I returned to go up that mountain that overlooks it and looks so amazing on pictures (that jutting peak you see guarding the ruins). The mountain is called Huayna Picchu.

The gates open early and only 400 people are allowed per day in two groups of 200 to climb up Huayna Picchu (Young Mountain). I was greeted by a registry at the gate to the Huayna Picchu (separate from the main gate to Machu Picchu) and at the time, they were securing signatures and emails for making Machu Picchu one of the New Seven Wonders! And so I did sign, and lo and behold, on June 7, 2007 this place was named one of the new Seven Wonders of the World!

At first I thought the climb could not be too hard, but it took me about 45min to an hour to reach the top (stopping at some areas to take pics). Some of the stairs are really steep, and close to the top, you have to go through a narrow tunnel and crouch down. It seemed to me that there were other ways to go up but that seemed to be the most logical choice for me then.

I also noticed at the top a person holding some king of radio, and I guess there are also guards to make sure that everything is in order at the top.

But once you’re there on the top, you see the zigzagging road that the Bus takes to go up to Machu Picchu and you just marvel at the whole site. I felt like I was on top of the world! Like some Peruvian Zeus looking over the ruins…

• Sydvicious's Profile Photo

Hiking Huayna Picchu

by Sydvicious Written Jan 12, 2009

I have just been reading all the post's and I just wanted to clarify a few things.... I think taking a bus to Machu Picchu is no problem. That is what I would suggest looking into. If your asking about hiking the actual mountain that is at Machu Picchu it is called Huayna Picchu I don't know that I would recommend taking your 8o year old relative up that mountain. There is plenty to see and do besides hiking the mountain (Huayna Picchu) The sites in an around the mountain are amazing. If you do decided to hike Huayna Picchu you only have a certain window of time to do it in. Since I wanted to do the hike I actually feel I did not get as much time as I would have like in and around all the ruins. I hope this makes sense.

Let me know if you have any other questions

• ru4pot2's Profile Photo

Make the climb!

by ru4pot2 Written Oct 19, 2008
    Stairway of danger

If you are taking the time to go to Machu Picchu then make the climb up Huanya Picchu. Be warned, there are some spots that if you lose your footing you may plummet to your death. Aside from that, the view is spectacular. You may even see a condor gliding over the valley while you're up there.

• Adventure Travel
    • National/State Park

• ru4pot2's Profile Photo

Make the climb!

by ru4pot2 Written Oct 19, 2008

• Climbing Macchu Pichu Mountain instead

by emmemma Written Sep 2, 2008

Everybody strives for climbing Huayna Picchu, we followed our tour guide's advice instead and climbed Machu Picchu Mountain, which is located opposite Huayna, on your left hand when you enter the site, following the signs to Puerta del Sol. It takes approx. 3 1/2 hours to get up and down, so if you are not perfectly fit or used to mountain climbing you should pass it.
    Here there are no limits on time or persons allowed and no registration counter. Don't expect crowd either: we crossed no more than 10 people during the whole hike. Also remember to take some water, some food and something warm to wear, as the top is windy.
    The path was made by the Inka and looks like a long stairway of stones, brinings you up to 3200 mt o.s.l. though marvellous nebular forest and incredible vegetation. In some points it gets very steep or exposed, but on the whole the guide said it is less dangerous than climbing Huayna (where some tourists actually died).
    On the top you'll enjoy the full view of the Machu Picchu site and its surrounding peaks, but also of the whole valley and nevados of the Cordillera.
    And the feeling of looking down on Huayna Picchu :))

• malianrob's Profile Photo

Waynapicchu

by malianrob Updated Dec 21, 2007

This was the hike from hell. It was challenging, steep, exciting, and we were unprepared! Our guide told us that usually people make it up in about 45 minuts and down in another 45 minutes. She has done it so much that she does it in 20 minutes up and 20 minutes down. So Adrianna thinks she cando it in 20 minutes too. She is competitive and she is also a runner and has stamina. I guess she wasnt counting on me. Bottom line, we made it up in 1 hour and 15 minutes. My heart was pounding so hard and so loud in my ears I thought I was going to faint. We didnt have water or protien bars or anything!
    I thought i was in hell and I was being tortured!
    In the end I made it up and I saw the most beautiful view! I also got a workout and bragging rights.
    If you have time to do the hike, you have to do it. Its grueling but worth it.

• ThiagoRamos's Profile Photo

Climbing Huayna Picchu

by ThiagoRamos Updated Mar 2, 2007

View from the Huayna Picchu

To get another breathtaking view of Machu Picchu, you can join all the strength you have left and climb the Huayna Picchu. The hike takes around an hour. I was completely wasted from climbing the Putucusi Mountain (in Aguas Calientes) the day before, so I passed it. But my friends did it and both said it was worth it...

Well, the pictures speak for themselves...

• elpariente's Profile Photo

Huayna Picchu

by elpariente Written Mar 1, 2007

Es la montaña símbolo de Machu Picchu, la más alta detrás de la Ciudad Inca que se aprecia en las clásicas fotografías.
    Se puede acceder a ella por un empinado camino de piedra y apreciar desde allí una espectacular vista. Camino a la cima se puede ver el templo de la Luna.
    El ascenso a pie dura aproximadamente 50 minutos y tienes que ir pronto porque hay plazas limitadas
    It is the mountain symbol of Machu Picchu , the highest behind the Inca Town that is seen in the classic photos
    You may climb it by a steep stone path and to see there an spectacular view . In the way to the top you may see the moon temple . The climb is hard and takes about 50 minutes and you must go early because are limited the number of persons allowed each day

• kzapanta's Profile Photo

A good healthy climb

by kzapanta Written Sep 18, 2006

Huayan Picchu is the prominent peak behind Machu Picchu in all the photos. On top has its own temples/ruins. As posted by others, it is not the easiest hike but it sure is worth it. Due to its danger/traffic control, you must sign in and out of the hiking entrance and is limited to the first 400 people. On most of the trail, I would classify the hike more like a climb since its all rock steps and there isn't even a dirt trail to "hike" on.

Supersize Tip: 1. Others have mentioned having hiking sticks to help in the hike- I was glad the front entrance didn't allow my bamboo stick (not even metal tips). For me, having the use of both hands to grab the steel cables, and counterbalancing is more useful than having a stick. 2. Even though the main gate opens at 5:30 A.M. The entrance to Huayan Picchu isn't open until 7 A.M.

• kzapanta's Profile Photo

Early morning hike

by kzapanta Written Sep 18, 2006

We decided to spend the night in Agua Caliente the first day in Machu Picchu to have more time inside the Machu Picchu compound itself. It was a good decision for us and we arrived by the bus system at the front gate at 6:15 A.M.

There were barely anybody there and even the workers were barely stragelling in to thier posts. It was so peaceful and felt like we had the whole site to ourselves. It is also a different perspective and feeling to see Machu Picchu and Huayan Picchu covered in a shroud of morning clouds and mist. Very mystical and ancient sort of way. The pictures does not do it justice.

Another benefit is hiking Huayan Picchu early and not having to be part of the pile ups up and down the narrow, steep trail/stairs. It felt like a complete zoo when 11:30 a.m. rolled around the wave of people started arriving from the first train up. Luckly, we were close to our fill of the place and when people were coming up on the bus, we were going down!

• bsfreeloader's Profile Photo

Climb Huayna Picchu

by bsfreeloader Written Aug 14, 2006

The View of Machu Picchu from Huayna Picchu

If you are in shape, climbing Huayna Picchu is a must. Huayna Picchu is the prominent peak at the northern end of Machu Picchu. Often shrouded in clouds, this peak offers unrivaled panoramic views of Machu Picchu on clear days. Paradoxically, the ruins of Machu Picchu look at once smaller and larger from this viewpoint. Equally amazing are the ruins found at the top of the peak, which can be reached with a little bit of sweat in anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour depending on your fitness level (the record is something absurd like 17 minutes). Just be sure to head out early – the trail, which starts behind the Sacred Rock, closes at 1:00 pm and is limited to a fixed number of hikers each day.

• sfphototraveller's Profile Photo

Take a Hike up to Wayne Picchu

by sfphototraveller Updated Aug 13, 2006

I took this pic of Machu Picchu from Wayne Picchu

I started around to hike up wayne Picchu. I followed behind a tour group had no choice. I took a water break when they did and when they took too long I went around like the other hikers. The steps became smaller and shorter and steeper.

Tip-Bring water,food snacks,camera good shoes and lots of physical energy.

Thats why I did this early in the AM. when I got up to the top it was a bit crowded.
    And going down I met lots of people saying are we there yet?
    It was a sunny and warm day when I hiked up.
    Its about and hour up and 40 mins down depending how fast you walk or climb up the steps.

• National/State Park
    • Architecture

Instant Answers: Machu Picchu

Comments

Hotels Near Huayna Picchu
3.5 out of 5 stars