Huacachina Things to Do

Bellying down the dunes
    Sweet slopes
    by Zanzibargirl
    Watching the dunes go by from the buggy

Most Recent Things to Do in Huacachina

• Zanzibargirl's Profile Photo

Sandboarding & Buggying the Huacachina Dunes

by Zanzibargirl Updated Apr 4, 2011
    El Huacachinero Green Dune Buggy

Huacachina is made for adventure junkies. The waves of sand last year round providing an endless season for sandboarding and buggying that will give you an awesome rush. There are plenty of operators in town, but we used the one based at our hostel - El Huachinero (see website below). Costs depend on group numbers. You can pay for just the buggy ride, or a combination with sandboard hire, and if your group is large enough even arrange to camp out overnight.

• Adventure Travel

• Zanzibargirl's Profile Photo

Sunset from the dune tops

by Zanzibargirl Updated Apr 4, 2011
    The fiery sky from the dunes at Sunset

Late afternoon in the dunes offers an amazing view as the sun sets across the sand dune desert that surround the small town of Huacachina. You should not miss the display of the colours as the sky changes across the sea of sand as it is absolutely beautiful. Best way to see this is to arrange it in a buggy ride tour of the dunes. Action, adventure and scenery. It doesnt get much better than this!

• Photography

• Vincentml's Profile Photo

Huacachina / Buggy Ride / Sand boarding w/ Video!

by Vincentml Updated Oct 17, 2009

The charm and uniqueness of Huacachina make it one of my favorite destinations in Perú. Taking a bus from Lima (about 4-5 hours) can prove to be as interesting as it is inexpensive. The Pacific Ocean is visible from the bus for the majority of the ride, as are small towns and farms. Round trip tickets cost about $15-$35 depending on your preferences.

The Oasis at Huacachina is very small and less than 200 people live there. There are a few places to stay and charming little restaurants that overlook the small pond at the center of the Oasis. We arrived after dark and when we woke we had breakfast outside watching the sun come up over the sand dunes that surrounded our little desert paradise. It was then that I started to feel like I had gone to sleep and woke up on a different planet. One of Perú's most obvious lures is that it is home to such a variety of topographies-- Huacachina is a prime example of that.

If you're planning a trip to Huacachina, surely sand boarding and a dune buggy ride are already parts of your itinerary. The dune buggy in the desert of Huacachina is easily one of the most exiting things I've ever done anywhere on the globe.

Here is a video I made from the front seat of the dune buggy. What makes this ride remarkable is that it takes place in an expansive desert that stretches nearly 50 kilometers to the Pacific Ocean. All I could see was sand as we approached what seemed like the end of the world at virtually top speed. Few things are as exhilarating as the drop the buggy takes after it reaches the summit of a sand dune. The driver was very talented and safe, and it took some taunting on my part to convince him to dive like he did, but it was definitely a thrilling ride! I recommend wearing sunglasses. It’s not as much for the sun as it is for the sand and wind that will be hitting your face as you race across the dunes.

Sand boarding was fun and definitely a little emasculating. I fell more times than I’d like to admit and had sand in places that this forum probably doesn’t allow me to admit. I loved every minute of it and will definitely do it again in the near future.

Huacachina is an inexpensive, unique and exciting adventure that many travelers overlook. Because of its relatively short distance from Lima, I recommend it as a one or two day trip to anyone who is planning on visiting Perú. You could probably expect on spending between $60-$150 (USD) for the whole trip but the pictures and memories you will take home with you are priceless.

• Skiing and Boarding

• Just go there....then sandboard

by phillipJ Updated Mar 31, 2008

The place was incredible, dunes are spectacular and i wanna be a pro sandboarder, too bad I stink at it. Rent a board by the hour and practice the small hills (and it is hard climbing them) so when you go out on your dune buggy tour, you have practiced for the humongous ones. They are big, and if you can stay up, you go fast. Plus on the tour, its as close to being on another planet as you can feel.

Mediocre town, but who cares. Sandboarding!

• Cycling
    • Surfing

• gonzo747's Profile Photo

Climb a dune at night

by gonzo747 Written Jan 13, 2006

me and two lovely dogs on the dune

After a few drinks, I climbed the dune behind our hostal (casa de arena).
    It was hard getting on the top, but it had a really good view of Ica by night.
    Some dogs followed us. they were nice.
    It's also really good fun to run down the dune. There is a possibility that you fall though.

• gonzo747's Profile Photo

buggy trip pure adrenaline

by gonzo747 Written Jan 13, 2006

Our buggy

At our hostel (casa de arena) they organised buggy trips; We decided to join one.
    This was one of the highlights of the trip. It's completely nuts, our driver drove like a madman. At some points we stopped to do some sandboarding.
    A few words of advise:
    1. Wear your seatbelt, two people of our trip didn't. After 10 minutes they banged their head against the car and were bleeding heavily out of their head. Their adventure was over.
    2. If you're tha adrenaline type, get into the buggy which sings the lambada when it has been put in reverse. The driver is a nutcase (but very good as well)

• schlumpf's Profile Photo

Take at least a walk in the desert

by schlumpf Written Dec 12, 2004

If you are not interested in sandboarding or ride trough the sand-dunes, you should at least think on walking on the desert.

This is a very chill out activity that allow you to get anyway amazing views, altough i have to admist that I strongly raccomend you to drop in a dune boogie and ride up and down!!!

• schlumpf's Profile Photo

Sandboarding on the Huacachina sand dunes

by schlumpf Written Oct 22, 2004

What is really a must is to do a sandboarding on the desert dunes!
    We hire a dune buggie and we jump on the dunes...we were in total 5 people plus the driver that was absolutely a funny crazy peruvian guy!
    It costs us 6USD each, but the guy took us 8 hours along the desert, up and down, up and down, and sometimes, some dunes were really very hight and i missed also the breath!!! was crazy but the adrenaline was 100%!!!
    This is something you cannot really miss!
    During the way you do also sandboarding which is pretty cool if you are used to make snowboarding, if not...well, nothing bad, you just crash you a** on the sand...
    If you caught a beautifull day, the scenario is pretty phantastic, but takre care, at the late afternoon is pretty cold!
    At the end of the day, we all shared a bottle of Pisco!!! I just got other friends...
    Just another suggestion...reccomand to the driver to fullfill the car....as our car at at certain point....was without gasoline...

• Alain_Smeets's Profile Photo

Sandboarding in the dunes

by Alain_Smeets Written Jun 2, 2003

Tom in the sanddunes

When you are in huacachina, you have to rent a sandboard and walk up the steep sanddunes. It will take you a while to get to the top, but going down is much faster. But before you are going sandsurfing watch the sunset over the dunes.

• darthmilmo's Profile Photo

Sand surfing in the Huacachina Dunes

by darthmilmo Written Feb 25, 2003

Sand surfing in the Huacachina Dunes

Sand boarding was a frightening experience my first day, not as frightening with some alcohol in your body as I will learn a few nights later :). Anyways, my first day was frightening. The walk up the sand dune is tiring to say the least, but the view from the desert on top is amazing. I did some practice on a small sand dune on the back, but ended up falling down every time. I ended up sitting down on my board on the way down :). I didn't stand up until I was almost at the end. Interestingly enough, I found out that if you take your fear of falling, sand boarding is an excellent experience. I manage to go down a few times one night under the light of the full moon and after consuming one too many beers. I'm afraid I may have not done it if I had been entirely sober :P.

• Adventure Travel

• chancay's Profile Photo

try sand surfing

by chancay Updated Feb 19, 2003

me just before the next cropper

You can rent a board for less money to do some hours of sand surfing. It´s 100% fun. Unfortunately you are down the hill in 20 seconds meanwhile climbing up needs 5 minutes........(at least!)

Instant Answers: Huacachina

Comments

Huacachina Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Huacachina things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Huacachina sightseeing.