Nazca Warnings and Dangers

Best Rated Warnings and Dangers in Nazca

• stripeykelly's Profile Photo

Peru, Forged s/100 notes

by stripeykelly Written Dec 1, 2005

This is probably a well known problem, but fake s/100 notes are quite common in Peru, especially in the north. We discovered, whilst in Nazca, that we had a fake one originally from Trujillo. We initially tried to argue against it, as we were told it was ours 2 hours after we had given it to the hotel people. We had heard before that often hotel people might swap them and try and pawn them off on tourists. We thought this initially, but the woman seemed genuinely upset, so we took it back.

Ways to check: the waterline, as on normal notes, also check that the colour at the end of the note switches between purple and orange as you twist it. If you find one either take it to the bank you got it from, if you can prove it comes from there, or the tourist police. It was quite upsetting, but just another thing to content with.

• Zirpsis's Profile Photo

Keep an eye out for robbers

by Zirpsis Written Dec 4, 2005

When we visited the chauchilla burial ground, an armed police officer joined us to secure our visit since some previous groups had been attacked in the desert. I also noticed a police escort car securing our backs in the distance. I wonder if things are any safer now, if the locals have started to see tourists any differently. Best to keep an eye out for robbers even though there's nothing much you can do, if they decide to take your money and run.

• Desert

• VZ-Pam's Profile Photo

Nazca tour flights over Nazca lines

by VZ-Pam Updated Feb 26, 2010

Basically everything have risk factors. Accidents happen and we cannot gurantee anything in life ...that is why we have insurance companies.

I took a small tour aircraft ride at Airport Maria Reiche for an aerial observation of the Nazca lines on Feb 9 2010. It was wonderful... and then on Feb 25, 2010, a small plane had crashed & 7 tourists lost their lives.

But that should not stop any one taking the tour. I will definitely take it one more time or a few more times.

Just pray before you board...
    or get a good luck charm

Well we take risk everyday on everything ....including reading of this tip .....

• Maillekeul's Profile Photo

If U don't like 2 talk... Si vous ne parlez pas...

by Maillekeul Written Aug 23, 2003

... don't sit on the plaza de Armas' benchs during daytime ! Indeed, a lot of supposed-to-be guides will most probably come to you to sell you some tour... And they will stick to you as long as necessary ! Thoug, if you like talking with local people, it's the best way to do it !

... ne vous asseyez pas sur un banc de la Plaza de Armas ! En effet, des pretendus guides essaieront de vous vendre un tour.. et ils ne lachent pas facilement l'affaire ! Maintenant, si vous aimez parler, c'est l'occasion ou jamais !!

• Nazca fake flying tickets

by snaap01 Written Sep 5, 2005

A tout named 'Luis' is picking up tourists in the bus from Ica to Nazca for a hotel. Then he tries to sell trips to the cemetry for a lot of money ($20,- per person!)
    Then he tries to sell you a ticket for a flight above the lines and since no other options are avaliable (all booked till October) we had to. But because a limited amount of aircraft are allowed above the lines the flight can't be made and Luis is gone with your money! When we dropped the word 'Policia' the money was returned very soon ;-))

• Yso's Profile Photo

Avoid the Nazca hotel

by Yso Written Sep 13, 2002

When you get off the bus in the early morning in Nazca you will be pounced upon by a tout for the Nazca hotel. These touts are very insistant, but their hotel is a dump. Not only are they very agressive to sell you the hotel or a tour, but if you say that you are not interested in their hotel then they become very insulting (the one I tangled with called me a Puta) which is not an agreeable experience at 5 am.

• Nazca Lines Flights in busy season

by bvpshenvalley Written Nov 29, 2008

Many times agencies in Nazca (as elsewhere in Peru) will lose your reservation. I had booked a tour in the middle of busy season for $65. When I arrived in Nazca, I was told that they lost my reservation and the price would be $80 or $85. We looked around for another agency, but we were quoted the same price. We soon learned that whatever price is quoted to you ahead of time, may not be the price of your flight. The best thing to do is to book your flight for the next day, very early on the previous day. Basically, the market price for flights is set for the day and all agencies charge the same price. Also, after you book your flight, they will give you a flight time. The day of your flight, your flight time will probably be pushed back until the afternoon even if you have a morning appointment. I heard rumors that the airport took people who got to the airport without booking a tour first because they knew that those who had booked a tour had already paid. We had a 9am-10am appt. and did not get on a plane until 1pm or 2pm. I felt that I was lucky. I met one girl on another day that waited two days to get on a flight because of "weather".

• Archeology

Instant Answers: Nazca

• Oct 28, 2014 at 3:50 PM

We sat there and "Mikki" ordered a bottle of the local Pisco, in this time he was pouring heavy doses of alcohol into our glasses and managed to receive four payments from these tourists for some tour that he insisted they had to pay right there and then. Four of these tourists made their way to the door as quickly as they paid for this supposed tour (I wish i followed). By this stage my husband and I were drunk with little memory, "Mikki" was forcing me to speak with other tourist females to join our table saying that it was better that i invite them because i too was a woman. These smart women politely declined my invitation, the bill then came out and "Mikki" put in 20 soles while i contributed 50 soles and he made my husband put another 50 soles in too???? We didn't even realise we paid for this psycho to get tourists drunk and we were stupidly the only ones still with him? He took us across the road to another bar and this was my last memory. I remember i had at least 500 soles in my bag with me, I woke up in my hostel room the next day to who i thought was my husband kissing me. I heard the words "I love you and I respect you" and quickly realised that this was in fact not my husband!!! I sat up quickly and saw my husband hunched over the end of the bed and this CREEP "Mikki" laying on the floor next to the bed as if he was hiding (a bit hard to do seeing as he is the size of a whale), I looked on the bedside table and saw my wallet which was very odd as i never left it out of my handbag!?! I felt delirious as if i woke up drugged with many hours of my life missing after what i remember to be four drinks?!? I layer back down asking myself if i was dreaming and as i did this i heard my room door open and close as gently as someone could and realised i wasn't having a bad dream. I woke up straight away and grabbed my wallet on the bedside table the side that this molestor "Mikki" was on and was heart broken to see that NOTHING was left. He came into our room, robbed us and molested me... I ran so fast that by the time i was thinking straight i was in Lima thinking DAMN i should have at least demanded my tour money back, i can't prove that he robbed us but i could have fought for our full refund of tours and accommodation! I should have at least tried to going to the officials but i was just so scared they wouldn't believe me or do anything so i ran to Lima that night! So here we are robbed $600, traumatised from being molested and possibly drugged by an overweight possible peruvian rapist disguised as a manager/owner of a tourist hostel. PLEASE EVERYONE! I beg you not to stay here, your money and wellbeing is in grave danger and i hope one day Karma unleashes a fury on this man that will send him back to the dark pits of hell he came from. His tours are run in cahoots with his sisters flight company over Nasca, her name is "Ruth" i've seen a lot of bad reviews on her too so stay away from this entire family DANGER DANGER! Please do everything possible to maintain every preventative measure you will need in tourist areas like this as it is ridden with money hungry heartless woman praying scum! Research everything and if you ever come across this guy, give him a bit of what he deserves from me! This man has RUINED Peru from me, i fell in love with this country the first time i came in 2011 and i can seriously say that after this event i find it hard to trust anyone here!

• Oct 28, 2014 at 3:49 PM

Lokis Nasca Hostal/ Intiwasi/ Nasca Inn- the place has had three names trying to disguise themselves as regular hotels. This man "Mikki" owner/manager is a criminal!! We arrived in Nasca after a long 7-8 hour bus ride from Arequipa overnight. My husband was very weary and decided to go along with one of the accommodation scalpers at the terminal (much to my discontent as I've heard how dodgy these people are). We checked into "Lokis Nasca Hostal" quoted at 30 soles for both of us in a matrimonial room and offered us a 430 sole EACH package to get our room with our flights. I was like wait thats 400 soles ($140 USD) and i was advised online that flights cost between $50-$100 per person? He then said he would lower the price to 320 soles ($110 USD) including BBQ chicken, breakfast and transfers. He made us make a decision right there even though he knew we just arrived, I didn't even get time to wash my face he rushed us to the ATM so quickly! After a quick calculation i thought it was a pretty good deal because he assured us we would have views of the lines on each side, but for us to arrive after a long bus ride at 8:45am and to be on a plane on a 10:30am flight felt crazy!!!! The pilots were great, very professional and really took care of us but the course itself had a lot of sharp turns and crazy circles that made me feel delirious and motion sick!! We came back to the hostel and just needed to rest so bad! We woke up later to the house keeping staff preparing our cold quarter chicken with cold fries and salad, went for a walk later and saw surrounding shops selling this HOT for only 4 soles which meant so far our flight looked like it cost 300 soles each! Later that evening "Mikki" invited us to a local Pisco bar with some other tourists for "Happy Hour", I was in no mood to drink as i planned on a early day enjoying Huacachina but he knocked on my bedroom door insisting that i get ready and join. I felt quite rude to refuse his hospitality as he lead us downstairs and prepared double/triple shot beverages, cheersing every 2 minutes insisting that we power drink because he had to pick up two other tourists. After we all followed his instructions he poured us all another round in takeaway glasses and piled us into his car even though two other tourists staying at this hotel begged to not come as they had a long day, hadn't showered and wanted to rest. But here we all were like puppets piled into his car, we picked up two more tourists who he made catch a taxi up the road to meet us at some bar.

Nazca Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Nazca warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Nazca sightseeing.