Huancayo Things to Do

• a scene by the railway station near the markets
    a scene by the railway station near the...
    by DennyP
  • LOCAL WOMAN LOADED WITH GOODS AND CHILD..
    LOCAL WOMAN LOADED WITH GOODS AND...
    by DennyP
  • Things to Do
    by hartti

Most Recent Things to Do in Huancayo

• DennyP's Profile Photo

VISIT THE HIGHEST MARKET IN HUANCAYO

by DennyP Updated Feb 9, 2012

a scene by the railway station near the markets

HUANCAYO
    Im afraid markets are like a magnet for me just like second hand bookshops..The market here in Huancayo was on my list of "must sees" as was the amazing train journey to get here...Then, at that time this was the highest train in the world...Also this was the highest that I had ever been also, as far as altitude was concerned. The market was located right by the Huancayo Railway station so was not far to walk .The many locals in the market sucking on their "coca" leaves were , I am sure , higher than I was!!! The locals were so colourful in their wraps, ponchos and hats..they all wear hats!!! This was not only the highest I had ever been but to get here took the highest Railway to the highest market...wonderful..

Altitude sickness got me up here so much so that I was really unable to spend a lot more time here than I had planned to. I don't think I had ever felt so tired and breathless..Nevertheless ,I got to enjoy the market and looked through the many stalls selling the local products..I finished up with two alpacca ponchos and a wide brimmed hat. One can't be not impressed by this Alpacca wool so soft and warm...later I was to use these ponchos a lot in my further travels in Peru and Bolivia.
    I HAVE TO SCAN MORE PHOTOS FOR THIS PAGE..

• Festivals
    • Photography
    • Trains

• hartti's Profile Photo

Sunday Fairy

by hartti Updated May 5, 2008
    Huancavelica Street at Sunday

Every Sunday people from surrounding come here for selling their goods, or looking and buying. Personally, I like the vast flee market; there you can find everything! But also the handicraft sellers are important, as food sellers. Many go there and buy food for the whole week, and next Sunday again...

• Seniors
    • Eco-Tourism

• adelinemmc's Profile Photo

Hike from Hualhuas to San Jeronimo de Tunan

by adelinemmc Written Aug 7, 2006

Outside Hualhuas

After you've done shopping for wool scarves, bags and jumpers, this is an easy hike starting on the main plaza of Hualhuas. Ask to be pointed in the direction for San Jeronimo then walk!

This will take you out of the town via typical streets and in the countryside among fields then back into 'urban' setting in San Jeronimo.

The walk is done easyly in an hour or so on a flat terrain with time to take in the landscape or look at the architecture.

Once in San Jeronimo, have a freshly squeezed orange juice from a cart to recover and start shopping for silver goods. My best find: a delicate rose-shaped brooch for 5 soles, down from 20 soles without even bargaining!!

Note; you can visit a silversmith if you ask around.

Photo 1: the outskirts of Hualhuas
    Photo 2: the outskirts of San Jeronimo
    Photo 3: a silversmith in San Jeronimo

• Hiking and Walking

• El_Sueco's Profile Photo

Cerrito de Libertad

by El_Sueco Written Sep 18, 2004

Iglesia on Cerrito de Libertad

Popular place for a tourist. From this mountain you have a good view of the town. There are place for childrens game, a zoological and some restaurants.

• Religious Travel
    • Architecture

Instant Answers: Huancayo

Comments

Huancayo Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Huancayo things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Huancayo sightseeing.