Trujillo Transportation

Local bus in front of our tour bus
    by grandmaR
    Bus in the intersection ahead
    by grandmaR
    Taxis ahead of us in the street

Most Recent Transportation in Trujillo

• nhoolb's Profile Photo

Bus

by nhoolb Updated Apr 4, 2011

Chiclayo-Trujillo with bus company La Linea. Frequent departures, every hour. Driving time 4 hours. Costs: € 4 per person one-way.

For longer distances (e.g. Chicalyo-Lima/Trujillo-Lima) see my Peru transportation pages. I prefer Cruz del Sur, safer, more comfortable. I almost always travel by day when possible/feasible.

Trujillo to Lima with Cruz del Sur took 9 hours, € 20 per person. Seated upstairs which is a little cheaper than downstairs and gives better views. The front seats, upstairs, are almost always occupied by tourists.....
    Tickets were bought at the bus station of Cruz del Sur in Chiclayo before we left for Trujillo.

Flying, with LAN Peru (the only airline covering Chiclayo and Trujillo at this moment, monopoly!), is much more expensive, around € 80 one-way and only one or two flights a day.

Info January 2009

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Airline Offices

by grandmaR Updated Jan 11, 2009

Lan office

There is NO train service to Trujillo. Your choices are boat, plane or bus.

Trujillo does have an airport. Two airlines have their offices on the Plaza des Armes in the central of Trujillo - LAN and American Airlines. The Carlos Martínez de Pinillos Airport in the Huanchaco district outside Trujillo serves all domestic carriers within Peru; Lan, AeroCondor, and Star Peru. Flights between Lima and Peru are one hour. It is about a twenty-minute drive from the airport to downtown Trujillo. You can take a cab for about $6, and there are also buses.

There are however multiple bus lines. For travelers heading to Trujillo via bus from Ecuador, there are a number of busses that leave from the border town of Tumbes. The journey between Tumbes and Trujillo takes about eleven hours and costs $43. The trip between Lima and Trujillo costs $30 and takes about eight hours

• Cruise

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Tourist Transport

by grandmaR Updated Jan 11, 2009

Our red bus behind the police escort

We were in Salaverry which is the port for Trujillo. Our mode of transportation was a BIG RED bus. We had a police escort for the bus

This was a very strange bus - it was a double decker bus and the windows had some kind of screen on them (at least on the upper deck where we were sitting). I couldn't see very well through this. I don't know if it was meant to be a sun-screen or if it was something else. If you don't take a tour, combis and ómnibuses cost S/1 (30¢). Somewhat rickety buses will take you to Huanchaco for S/3 (85¢).

Also available were cabs (photo 4 and 5)

Taxis, all uniformly painted black and yellow. You can hire taxis by the hour (S/15 or $4.30) or by the day S/88 to S/125 ($25-$35) to tour archaeological sites in the environs of Trujillo. Be sure to negotiate or ask first in the tourist office to determine the going fares because price gouging is not uncommon in Trujillo. Official taxis are identified by a coat of arms of the city.

And there were, of course, private cars, motorcycles,-- If you want to rent a vehicle to make trips to Chan Chan and other sites, or even to travel around the northern region, try Global Car Rental, Ecuador 122, oficina 201, Urbanización El Recreo.

In the 'olden days' people traveled by horseback (photo 2) - the Peruvian Pasos were bred to be a smooth easy ride.

• Cruise

• profeanna's Profile Photo

Taxis

by profeanna Written Feb 7, 2007

Finding a taxi in Trujillo is never a problem. Being foreigners, my friend and I constantly had taxis waving us down and stopping for us...even when we were just walking down the block. You might want to watch out though because some will try to cheat you. You should never pay over 5 soles for a ride within Trujillo.

• sweetgy's Profile Photo

Taxi

by sweetgy Updated Jul 29, 2005

Into the city you can go in taxi if u prefer, it won't cost u too much because is not a very big city, so the maximium cost would be less than $2 (less than 6 soles). U must not pay more, provided that u travel into the city, but if u want to go a little far from trujillo (like huanchaco, chan chan , huacas, etc), it can cost $4 (as maximium). Maybe if people who drives taxi realize you are a "gringo" or a tourist they can ask u for much money, but here u have the price so tell him how much can u pay.
    By bus, i don't think is good, because u don't know the city and the streets, n u can lose urself.

• oceania26's Profile Photo

Combis & Taxis

by oceania26 Written May 18, 2005

You'll seriously see a sea of yellow taxis in Trujillo, there everywhere. It's pretty cheap to travel around by taxi or you can take a combi (if you know which one to get on) that's under S./1. Combi of course will take longer but is cheaper, not really comfortable for tall people as leg room is seriously limited.

• crummey's Profile Photo

buses

by crummey Written Feb 10, 2004

Jason Crummey at a llama Xing

I was in Ayacucho. Time came to leave. In the evening got on a nice bus bound for Pisco, on the coast. Leaving Ayacucho, we had to wind over the mountains in the night. Half way over the mountains we came across another bus that was broke down. We stopped and they all got on....grandmothers, children, men with huge bags of coco leaves and bundles of blankets and everything. The clucking chickens and dead animals were either put on the roof or under in the baggage compartments.

So we had a bus that holds like fifty with about 100 people in it. And we continued over the mountains.

When you want to get out....when you reach your destination....you are supposed to go to the front and bang and hammer and yell at the drivers compartment until he stops. But when we reached my stop, I had fallen asleep and I did not wake up until we had reached Lima.

I was in Lima not very long when I knew I had to get out of dodge....now. I made my way to the edge of the city to a bus station. The bus station had the smog, the cops, the cripples, the street venders, the garbage, the mangy dogs and clucking chickens to boot. And so, in a smogy swirl of feathers and chicken s**t I was out of Lima and on my way towards Trujillo.

• darthmilmo's Profile Photo

Getting there and around

by darthmilmo Written Nov 13, 2002

Chan Chan

There are plenty of buses going to Trujillo. The cost is around $1 USD per hour travelled on bus. From Trujillo, there are several micro-buses that take you to Huanchaca.

• darthmilmo's Profile Photo

Hire a minibus to take you around the sights

by darthmilmo Written Nov 13, 2002

Huaca el Dragon

Three of us at the Casa Suiza took a minibus tour to several sites in the area. It's basically a hired driver that takes you around all the sights you want to visit. Inquire about this in the hostel.

Instant Answers: Trujillo

Comments

Trujillo Transportation

Reviews and photos of Trujillo transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Trujillo sightseeing.